What's new

How did Exum look last night?

Looks like Exum coming down to earth after short hot stretch or teams actually started scouting and including him in their defensive game plans. Lets see if he will adjust and keep being positive or he will shrink and turn back to invisible ( I will stay away in the corner) Exum.

Nobody included him in their plans, he just had a couple of good games followed by a couple of bad ones. This is troubling as the Jazz needs to make a big decision regarding his contract based on so little info.

I think he has looked pretty good going to the basket, but he has absolutely no outside game which mitigates his ability to get to the rim. Teams will just back off and let him shoot -- in fact, if he had even as good an outside game as Ricky, like his mid-range shot, he'd be a force. He needs to develop a jump shot.

Even O'Neale gets some playmaking duties, to say that Exum is being held back by the coaching is asinine. He simply defers a lot. Mostly because he doesn't have the handles, any semblance of mid-range game or because of his passiveness or chemistry issues. He has been much more agressive and that's a good sign.

Do we know this for a fact. I am curious because if he is deferring even though he has been told he can playmake at will, then this is all on him and not a good sign moving forward.

We just need Exum to perform as well as or better than Rubio when we get to the 2019-2020 season. Anything positive he gives us until then is an added bonus. At the very least, he should be an asset as another wing defender for the playoffs. Expecting much more isn't realistic. It's not like he's making $10+ this year and next and can't be relied on to do anything. That's Burks' role unfortunately.

He wasn't good but I'm still encouraged with his progress. He had another layup that he went right over the guy and it looked like a real layup. He moved his feet really well on a drive and got called for a total bull **** foul.

I didn't watch the second half because I kind of knew it wasn't happening... still encouraged and if his numbers mean a lower contract then good.

He wasn't good but I'm still encouraged with his progress. He had another layup that he went right over the guy and it looked like a real layup. He moved his feet really well on a drive and got called for a total bull **** foul.

I didn't watch the second half because I kind of knew it wasn't happening... still encouraged and if his numbers mean a lower contract then good.

Agreed. Unfortunately part of the NBA game is building up a reputation before calls go your way. He was actually starting to build it his first year and due to the injuries that respect has seemed to disappear. His length can make him a very good defender, especially on drives.

Agreed. Unfortunately part of the NBA game is building up a reputation before calls go your way. He was actually starting to build it his first year and due to the injuries that respect has seemed to disappear. His length can make him a very good defender, especially on drives.

I had flashbacks of last year when he got straight picked on by the refs. I think he needs to learn the art of the charge flop. He does great staying in front and staying vertical... if you take contact in that situation and stay on your feet you get whistled for the foul. Go down and the other guy gets the foul. I hate it but its the truth... the NBA has created a lot of incentive to try and trick the refs.

Do we know this for a fact. I am curious because if he is deferring even though he has been told he can playmake at will, then this is all on him and not a good sign moving forward.
That's what I saw. May be it's because he doesn't trust himself yet or his game keeps him from getting those opportunities but it's not because coaching staff who prides themselves in developing players and encourages them to form good habits on the court. Quin wanted Rubio to shoot, no other coach has even tried that. Why would he try to take away Exum's strengths? Everyone gets their chance in this offense. Exum just needs to make them count.

I really like Exum, his jersey would be the first I would buy if I could but he has his limitations. It's okay to acknowledge them.

Edit. Typing on the phone sucks. Some sentences went missing and I am not going to bother till I get to my laptop. Even then I may forget

Last edited:
I have been mostly happy with what I have seen from Exum. If Rubio could groom him he could be a better shooting, far more athletic version of Rubio. Not a bad situation to be in. I think the Jazz can retain him for mid-level money. He hasn't shown enough to garner a big contract anywhere, he is still a project, but his upside will bring more than minimum offers for sure.

I had flashbacks of last year when he got straight picked on by the refs. I think he needs to learn the art of the charge flop. He does great staying in front and staying vertical... if you take contact in that situation and stay on your feet you get whistled for the foul. Go down and the other guy gets the foul. I hate it but its the truth... the NBA has created a lot of incentive to try and trick the refs.

I'd rather lose than become a flopping team. But you're right it's kind of the way of the NBA. Harden is a master. Chrissy Paul has perfected it. Haywad's head jerk was floppy. Crowder totally flopped last night and got the foul. And even a desperate Donovan threw his head back once last night to draw a call.