What's new

How did Exum look last night?

I'm not sure if the contracts are going to make sense moving forward. It could work from a basketball point of view since all 3 guys are performing well over the last stretch. Exum is going to want to be a starter and probably deserves a chance for a bigger role moving forward (Assuming his recent level is his new normal, or he makes more improvements as a young player). Ricky is also a starting level player and probably wants to stay that way for the next 4-5 seasons at least. Donovan is obviously going to start for the duration of his time here unless something crazy happens. You have to take player happiness into account a little bit in something like this. I don't think Rubio or Exum would be ok with being bench players for the next 4 years.

So the problem ends up becoming an issue of asset allocation at some point where maybe Exum has a 10-15 Million per year deal, and is playing at a similar level to Rubio. Do the Jazz weant to pay for Rubio or do they want to try to fill another hole with a premium FA (like a stretch 4, or a great scorer off the bench)? Do they think Exum might get even better as he gains experience and be a 35-38 MPG player for them? In that case it doesn't make a ton of sense to keep Rubio.

I'm not sure how pricey Rubio will be, but having all three guys under contract and healthy next year will be a good problem to have. I think we could let Rubio walk next year, but not sure the market will be ripe for a PG with his flaws. He also may want to stay because of the success he has had here and the relationship with Quin.

Sign Rubio next season (I think he enjoys whats happening in Utah and having a coach who beleives in him), there will still be no money in Free Agency (because all those bad contracts come of the books the following year) so we should get him for a discount.

Good players on good contracts are always a good thing.

Dude, you said front office. And now you are quoting Tribune's writer? They can write any **** they want and does not mean anybody from front office actually said that.
Just trying to help....
"Tony Jones has said it both as a direct quote and variations of it. The most recent variation I can remember is that the Jazz FO believes that Exum's absence earlier this season had as much of an effect on win-count as Gobert's injury and that after the rise of Mitchell, it was their belief in Exum that helped to motivate the trade of Hood."

Tony Jones is 100% credible. He does not make **** up.

Dante needs to learn to go hard to the basket without hitting the deck. I’ll feel a lot better about his risk for potential injuries being minimized when he masters that skill. It’s on tape. I’m sure Quin will focus on that this summer.

I worry too, but I'm not so sure that the way Dante "hits the deck" puts him at a significant risk for injury. It could actually prevent an injury by controlling the fall instead of landing awkwardly. These plays happen all the time without injury.

Not much data, but from this video,

The only injury that could be tied to how a player "hits the deck" is Jeremy Lin's. Other fouls on drives (Rose, Shroeder, Gordon, Bazemore, Hayward, D Booker) were caused by a hard foul, being undercut, landing on a foot, collision, and not by players how player's tendency to fall down after shooting. The other fouls (Kyrie, Kristin, Steph, Porzingis, LeBron, Steph, Teosidic, Green) were not injuries to players driving to the basket.

So maybe (hopefully) we are worried about nothing much.

You don't see the raw potential finally emerging? That is surprising

I'm ready to eat some serious fing crow right now. I didn't think he would ever deliver like he has been. Serious props to QS for tailoring play to fit this team. He has made everyone an overachiever.

Dante is shooting 53/38.5 with a ts% over 60 and 3 assists per game in only 15 minutes. WTF? Dude looking solid as of late. Never thought I'd say that.

As far as Rubio goes, keeper.

Seemed to me that it looked uncoordinated only after his knee went out.
There is a reason it went out, his position of the feet and knees on that landing before jump is off balance and out of sync. Watch 20-30 jumps of two feet by Mitchell for example - thing of beauty and coordination, like a freaking panther.

I worry too, but I'm not so sure that the way Dante "hits the deck" puts him at a significant risk for injury. It could actually prevent an injury by controlling the fall instead of landing awkwardly. These plays happen all the time without injury.

Actually, that reminds me. It seems like I remember Dante saying something about them working on his falling while he was out. Like learning to fall in a way to avoid injury or something.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Actually, that reminds me. It seems like I remember Dante saying something about them working on his falling while he was out. Like learning to fall in a way to avoid injury or something.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

He should spend time in off season with judokas. First thing any kid in judo learns is how to fall safely before they even teach them any throws or other moves.

He should spend time in off season with judokas. First thing any kid in judo learns is how to fall safely before they even teach them any throws or other moves.

Kids doing judo aren’t falling into a wooden floor.
I get the feeling he’s trying to fall and slide so he doesn’t try to land on his feet and put a tonne if pressure on his knees

Kids doing judo aren’t falling into a wooden floor.
I get the feeling he’s trying to fall and slide so he doesn’t try to land on his feet and put a tonne if pressure on his knees

MVP has a point, I think it would help him too, jiu jitsu training was very useful for me even when not training on mats, knowing how to land can really help you avoid serious injury.

Reactions: MVP
MVP has a point, I think it would help him too, jiu jitsu training was very useful for me even when not training on mats, knowing how to land can really help you avoid serious injury.

This is true. I did Judo as well and have never hurt myself falling. However I think general falling is different to a tall super fast basketballer falling at speed from the air

Traitor

dude i fell backwards off the stage at the prince of wales and walked it off like a champ...