What's new

HOW Did The Utah Jazz Get Away With This...

We could very easy be worse next year if we give major minutes to three rookies, Abaji, and Kessler while cashing out our vets, especially Clarkson.

I'm not sure we will do that, but I can see a future where we do. In that case though, we would have even more future assets then we do now.

Could we? Sure.
I dont think we do that though cause i think we want to re-sign Lauri when his contract ends. I bet we want to start winning as soon as next season to make Lauri want to stay. And i think the jazz love clarkson and keep him.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Fair enough. But that means DA and Zanik have to make the right moves with the assets that we have. That's the real challenge. How do we make sure that at least 50-60% (arbitrary number) of the moves make us better. Making an incorrect draft decision or trade decision this season/offseason can significantly set us back.

I dont think it sets us back to make a wrong move unless the wrong move is trading kessler, lauri, clarkson.

I think if we have those 3 surrounded by sexton, ochai, NAW and a few other ok players then we wont take a step back due to one wrong move.

You actually tried to make a case for all the bottom 5 teams to be competitive? Lmao. Which team are you a fan of.. as I cannot determine the color of glasses you are wearing. Maybe just "anti-Jazz"?

"Rockets have a decent young core"
Not if you ask Rockets fans they dont. They also were without first round picks for what, 4 or 5 years? Only 2 picks into their rebuild from scratch and even their own fans think that one is a bust and even the other one might never become elite. Where are their AS level guys?

"Spurs are gonna be agressive with their cap space"
And who is the big name FA that wants to go there? Pop is old but doesnt seem to be in a hurry... plus they just sold their best player in DJM. You dont sell your best player if you plan to be win now a year later.

Lillard is not getting any younger, and he has carried the Blazers a lot. Their core is not that good. Grant is solid though.

Lakers have 30M of space next year. Yay! Not gonna fix that mess with 30M, especially since you dont have picks to draft cheap rookies in or as trade assets.

Only team I agree will likely come up is Thunder.

But on the other hand I see 3 teams trending down (GSW, Suns, Clippers) that all have issues (core age and youth failing for GSW, depth issues and ownership/FO mess at PHX, constantly injured aging stars in LAC).

I agree.

I am entirely comfortable in discounting the Rockets, Blazers, Spurs, and Lakers for next year. I also feel like leaping the Suns probably won't be too much of a chore. I think the Suns are where we were if we had rolled it back with Gobert and Mitchell. There is a stink there that just isn't washing off.
You will be sorely disappointed if you think the suns are just going to fall apart. The core of Booker, Bridges, Johnson and Ayton are just entering their prime and the new owner isn't going to want to do some kind of teardown with a superstar in Booker in his prime.

Just my opinion but I think this is very possible. If we trade Conley, Clarkson, Beasley, Vando between now and the start of next season getting back only picks and expiring contracts. Plus we have a reason to be bad next year. Our pick is top 10 protected so if they lean on the young guys next year, keep the pick and clean up the books we are set going in 25 with what could be a very good, young, up and coming team.
Ugh. One year of sucking is bad enough. Two years? That's how teams like the Magic are made

poor kcgar thumbs down everything I say right after I own his boy Cy. You really are the same person.
QuickSpiritedDove-max-1mb.gif

Could we? Sure.
I dont think we do that though cause i think we want to re-sign Lauri when his contract ends. I bet we want to start winning as soon as next season to make Lauri want to stay. And i think the jazz love clarkson and keep him.

That’s the Disney version of the story I like with a happy ending. But there’s another restricted Horror show, real cloak and dagger $hit, where it turns out that Danny Ainge really is the devil incarnate that is obsessed with hitting the lottery and is determined to redeem our lone 1-10 protected 2024 pick. I think there was more to Snyder’s decision to step down than I initially realized.

Last edited:
You will be sorely disappointed if you think the suns are just going to fall apart. The core of Booker, Bridges, Johnson and Ayton are just entering their prime and the new owner isn't going to want to do some kind of teardown with a superstar in Booker in his prime.

And yet, here they are totally falling apart. Booker, Bridges, Johnson and Ayton minus CP3 is proving nothing. I guess you can say that "When Booker comes back!" everything will change. OK, but, on paper, there should be enough talent to do much better than they are doing, as they are just getting pasted night after night and aren't even in the play-in right now. Also, their cap situation is disastrous, and they have little flexibility without cashing in on one or more of their marquee players.

Again, they look like the alternate universe where the Jazz just re-up last year's team and roll with that. There are probably some underlying team issues that are just unfixable.

I dont think it sets us back to make a wrong move unless the wrong move is trading kessler, lauri, clarkson.

I think if we have those 3 surrounded by sexton, ochai, NAW and a few other ok players then we wont take a step back due to one wrong move.

Agreed, and that should be our big three moving forward. Those guys are all alphas, unicorns, whatever you want to call them. They are special in their physical abilities but more importantly they’ve proved time and again this season that they’re not afraid of the moment and can and will deliver when it matters most.

People see it clearly with the young guys Markkanen and Kessler but still tend to discount Clarkson as too old or as a sixth man chucker. Nobody on our team and few in the NBA have the ability to think on their feet, create and deliver in clutch time like Clarkson. Mark my words, we cash him out now, it may be five or more years before this team sees another postseason.

You are seriously blind if you don't think all 5 of those teams are capable of competing for a playoff spot next year. I love how you think actually understanding the reality of the situation makes me anti jazz. Some of you fools just love living with blinders on and not paying attention to the outside world.
Since you are obviously a well educated realist, you should easily find evidence from Clutchfans or Rockets reddit that support your notion that Rockets are close to competing.

Please link it here so I can be as educated as you are.

Just browsing the front page I see 3 petitions to fire Silas, 5 bleak threads about their owner/FO/organisation status.. 3 threads bashing various players and only a few positive topics (albeit I'm not sure "Sengun is our best player" is good when you just drafted top 3 twice in a row).

Ugh. One year of sucking is bad enough. Two years? That's how teams like the Magic are made
Exactly! Better buckle up fans for years and years of mediocrity, if we have that fire sale; particularly if we stupidly include one of the big three in our “for first rounders” selection assortment.

Exactly! Better buckle up fans for years and years of mediocrity, if we have that fire sale, particularly if we stupidly include one of the big three in our “for first rounders” selection assortment.
My theory is we leak that "selling" info to expedite the Collins trade... which is actually a sneaky buy disguised as a sell.

But Im el hopaness romtic.
1673895804208.png

Agreed, and that should be our big three moving forward. Those guys are all alphas, unicorns, whatever you want to call them. They are special in their physical abilities but more importantly they’ve proved time and again this season that they’re not afraid of the moment and can and will deliver when it matters most.

People see it clearly with the young guys Markkanen and Kessler but still tend to discount Clarkson as too old or as a sixth man chucker. Nobody on our team and few in the NBA have the ability to think on their feet, create and deliver in clutch time like Clarkson. Mark my words, we cash him out now, it may be five or more years before this team sees another postseason.

Ya i probably underrate clarkson. He is pretty awesome

Just my opinion but I think this is very possible. If we trade Conley, Clarkson, Beasley, Vando between now and the start of next season getting back only picks and expiring contracts. Plus we have a reason to be bad next year. Our pick is top 10 protected so if they lean on the young guys next year, keep the pick and clean up the books we are set going in 25 with what could be a very good, young, up and coming team.
Honestly we should be worse next season than we are this season if we play the cards right.

This year was about seeing what the Jazz have in Hardy and who would step up out of the younger guys. Hopefully it's also about selling high on the vets, reloading the team with young talent for 2024, sucking, then proceeding in Year 3 as if you are trying to make the playoffs.

Honestly we should be worse next season than we are this season if we play the cards right.

This year was about seeing what the Jazz have in Hardy and who would step up out of the younger guys. Hopefully it's also about selling high on the vets, reloading the team with young talent for 2024, sucking, then proceeding in Year 3 as if you are trying to make the playoffs.
Yep this is how I see it playing out.

I watched that video back then and those 2 have been even better since (albeit Beasley and Vando stocks have come down a bit).
What are you talking about? I love how Vando has progressed already during the season.

This is a pattern with Beasley. He has tons of hot and cold stretches. Been doing this for years now. Only a matter of time before he goes on another hot 3pt shooting binge again.

What are you talking about? I love how Vando has progressed already during the season.

This is a pattern with Beasley. He has tons of hot and cold stretches. Been doing this for years now. Only a matter of time before he goes on another hot 3pt shooting binge again.
Vando was viewed as a very good defender who can defend 1-5 coming into this year. While his offense has definitely progressed and his hustle is undeniable.. I'm not sure his defensive upside is viewed to be that high anymore. Lillard listed him with OG and Bridges as 3 guys he would like to see Blazers go for before the season began. That was the direction some thought Vando would develop towards.

Part of it imo is that he has played stretch positions all year... but I dont think Vando value has gone up this year. His contract is insanely friendly and that ofc still works for his favour.

Maybe he can still get back to a good defensive form. I'm happy if he does.