What's new

How Good are We?

Saint Cy of JFC

2022 Award Winner
I know this is early and more trades will happen, but I think we have the bulk of our lineup in place. I dont think the trades of Clarkson/Bogey/Beasley will bring in players we actually give minutes to (could be wrong).

Here's the projected lineup:

Sexton / Conley (not convinced we can trade him)/ Butler (Poor guy got leap-frogged hard on that Sexton deal)
Abaji / NAW / Bolmaro / Sneed
Fonteccio / THT / Juzang
Markkanen / Gay / Johnson
Vanderbilt / Kessler / Udoka

I'm assuming we trade Clarkson/Bogey/Beasley.

Starting lineup has a ton of (potential) shooting 1-4 and Markkannen/Vanderbilt are theoretically a good pairing.

The bench is truly horrendous outside of Conley. I dont think we can trade him right away because of his contract, but maybe someone decides they want him mid-season because of injury or something.

I think this team might be better than the Rockets/Thunder/Spurs, so possibly a 30-33 win team. Trade away Conley and do some creative "rest" with guys like Sexton (he's coming off surgery) and maybe we can win like 28 games.

I know this is early and more trades will happen, but I think we have the bulk of our lineup in place. I dont think the trades of Clarkson/Bogey/Beasley will bring in players we actually give minutes to (could be wrong).

Here's the projected lineup:

Sexton / Conley (not convinced we can trade him)/ Butler (Poor guy got leap-frogged hard on that Sexton deal)
Abaji / NAW / Bolmaro / Sneed
Fonteccio / THT / Juzang
Markkanen / Gay / Johnson
Vanderbilt / Kessler / Udoka

I'm assuming we trade Clarkson/Bogey/Beasley.

Starting lineup has a ton of (potential) shooting 1-4 and Markkannen/Vanderbilt are theoretically a good pairing.

The bench is truly horrendous outside of Conley. I dont think we can trade him right away because of his contract, but maybe someone decides they want him mid-season because of injury or something.

I think this team might be better than the Rockets/Thunder/Spurs, so possibly a 30-33 win team. Trade away Conley and do some creative "rest" with guys like Sexton (he's coming off surgery) and maybe we can win like 28 games.
If we don't move at least 2 of Conley, Bogey and Clarkson then we will be better than we want to be. I imagine that team would win mid-high 30's. Just bad enough to get into the lottery, not bad enough to get a high pick. The worst of all worlds. Even if we move them both, Sexton, Markkanen, Fonteccio is enough to get us probably to 30 wins, with a decent coach. I am afraid the tank is still stuck in the muddy waters of too many decent players. We need to move on from our core guys to get the tank rolling again for real.

gotta trade Conley. it won't be easy but Ainge will figure it out. so they dump conley, bogey and clarkson. they will keep Beasley.

Starting lineup
Sexton
Beasley
THT
Markkanen
Vando

Bless their hearts but that lineup sucks *** and the bench is even worse. definitely one of the five worst teams in the league.

If we don't move at least 2 of Conley, Bogey and Clarkson then we will be better than we want to be. I imagine that team would win mid-high 30's. Just bad enough to get into the lottery, not bad enough to get a high pick. The worst of all worlds. Even if we move them both, Sexton, Markkanen, Fonteccio is enough to get us probably to 30 wins, with a decent coach. I am afraid the tank is still stuck in the muddy waters of too many decent players. We need to move on from our core guys to get the tank rolling again for real.
Maybe if Kessler/Udoka are much better than expected, but I just dont see it with how bad the bench is, how we dont have any center over 6'9 with relevant NBA experience, how bad our wing depth is, and how bad our bench is overall.

You want to lose more games? Just put Butler/THT/NAW out there together for like 8 minutes per game.

gotta trade Conley. it won't be easy but Ainge will figure it out. so they dump conley, bogey and clarkson. they will keep Beasley.

Starting lineup
Sexton
Beasley
THT
Markkanen
Vando

Bless their hearts but that lineup sucks *** and the bench is even worse. definitely one of the five worst teams in the league.
Dont think you have to trade Conley right away. Let him rehab his value with a young team and be a leader.

You can give him good rest days too. Keep him healthy and let him ball out when he plays, then trade him.

Maybe if Kessler/Udoka are much better than expected, but I just dont see it with how bad the bench is, how we dont have any center over 6'9 with relevant NBA experience, how bad our wing depth is, and how bad our bench is overall.

You want to lose more games? Just put Butler/THT/NAW out there together for like 8 minutes per game.
The easiest and most profitable way to do that is to move on from Conley, Bogey and Clarkson. Again, if we keep those guys we will be just good enough to land a pick in the 9-14 range. Sexton has something to prove, and will be handed the reins of a fresh team, and so do Fonteccio and Markkanen. There is enough firepower there to kick us to 6-9th worst record potentially. I just hope we get something for our current vets and embrace the tank completely.

It's going to be funny if Dok comes out playing like Shaq 2.0 and puts up 25/10/2 bpg and ruins our lotto chances.

Here's a toast to Sexton and Dok becoming Shaq & Kobe version 2.

It will all depend on who of the remaining vets we trade. Right now IMO we are uncomfortably good. This team will win more games than I would like us to win.

Jazz are probably like a 25 - 30-win Sacramento Kings team from a couple years ago -- e.g., Fox / Hield / Barnes / Holmes

When the Jazz were tanking back in 2013/14, they played their good, young players (Hayward, Kanter, Favors, Burks, Burke), but the bench gave them nothing. There was no way the Jazz were going to win games with their bench production.

If the Jazz play a bench unit with Bolmaro, THT, NAW, Vanderbilt and Kessler, that unit is going to have trouble scoring and will lose ground. I think the Jazz will rely on having a shallow bench to lose games.

I think 35 wins would be realistic if an all out effort was made. The stealth tank will probably kick in after a month though. Resting players with very minor or even made up injuries.

19, 19, and 22. Those are the win totals from the Cavs for the three seasons Sexton played.

27, 22, 22, and 31. Those are the win totals for the Bulls the four years Markkanen played for them. The Cavs won 44 last year, but I’d say Mobley and Garland probably had a little more to do with that.

Fontecchio is never played an NBA game.

THT has not contributed to meaningful basketball.

I am totally baffled that some of you are worried the Jazz might win 30 - 40 games with this roster. They may have the worst defense in the entire league and loaded with “me first” offensive players.

Ainge knows what he’s doing. This team will be awful next year.

19, 19, and 22. Those are the win totals from the Cavs for the three seasons Sexton played.

27, 22, 22, and 31. Those are the win totals for the Bulls the four years Markkanen played for them. The Cavs won 44 last year, but I’d say Mobley and Garland probably had a little more to do with that.

Fontecchio is never played an NBA game.

THT has not contributed to meaningful basketball.

I am totally baffled that some of you are worried the Jazz might win 30 - 40 games with this roster. They may have the worst defense in the entire league and loaded with “me first” offensive players.

Ainge knows what he’s doing. This team will be awful next year.
Ainge didn't grab players he thought was bad...

He grabbed whoever he could get from teams who put a lot of picks in. Remember the Jazz originally wanted Jaden McDaniels.

Sexton/Markkannen have been on bad teams as rookie contract players, but now they are older. Also Will Hardy is supposed to be a great coach.

The thing that saves us from being too good is how strong the overall NBA is.

Ainge didn't grab players he thought was bad...

He grabbed whoever he could get from teams who put a lot of picks in. Remember the Jazz originally wanted Jaden McDaniels.

Sexton/Markkannen have been on bad teams as rookie contract players, but now they are older. Also Will Hardy is supposed to be a great coach.

The thing that saves us from being too good is how strong the overall NBA is.
Sure, Ainge tried to get the best players available, with consideration to age and contract, but he wasn’t going after winning players necessarily. Neither Sexton nor Markkanen had much market as RFAs and their original teams were not interested in keeping them. That probably says something.

I just don’t have any worries that a team led by Sexton is going to win games in the NBA. I think every team we play except maybe the Spurs will have the best player on the floor.