What's new

Hypotheticals if Jazz get pick #2 or 3

idiot

These are based partially on the idea that trade value is often never higher than at draft time, and that trade value for a talented player who lands in a logjam situation is often depressed (see Kanter). Also, there’s an argument to be made that the Jazz might be better off getting a player who helps accelerate the wins quicker to help keep Hayward and others home at their next FA round.

And I’m assuming that the general consensus here is that Russell would be our first choice based on fit/readiness to contribute. Let’s also assume that before draft date we’ve arranged with Tomic to join the Jazz. (OK, so I’m making 1 in 1,000 assumptions. Just play along.)

If Jazz have 2nd pick and Russell went #1, would you trade the pick for (either of):
  • Jabari (last year’s second for this year’s)
  • Giannis

If the Jazz have the 3rd pick, and Russell is gone, would you trade for:
  • Beal

If Jazz have 3rd pick, Russell is gone, would you approve if the Jazz managed to trade whoever they pick for one of these restricted free agents in a later sign and trade (I recognize that this is a near-impossibility):
  • Butler
  • Leonard
  • Draymond Green
  • Middleton

Would any of the possible trading partners be interested? I’m guessing that probably only Bucks and Spurs (if they bow out meekly this year) might have serious interest.

If you would be interested in the broad parameters of any of the possible trades, what should be thrown in (from one or both sides) to make the trade as worthwhile for both teams as possible?

Are there other possible trades to make with a second or third pick if we weren’t thrilled with the options there? For example, how far down would you swap picks with another team and what would you expect in return?

If we get the #1, #2, or #3 pick, keep it. No question about it. Keep it. Draft BPA. Win titles. Rookies are too cheap to trade away.

I would not trade the #2 pick for Giannis (very, very overrated) or Jabari (doesn't fit with us).
I would not trade the #3 pick for any of your players, because I'd expect Okafor, Towns or Russell to be better than any of those players.

I MIGHT consider #3 for Beal. MIGHT. I'd have to look into it more.

Keep it. Draft BPA. Win titles. Rookies are too cheap to trade away.

Don't totally disagree, except that it's the extremely rare player on a rookie contract who really contributes to a title. Just doesn't happen often. For us, I think there's a reasonable argument that Russell might be the only one who could make that sort of contribution. By the time they are a huge title contributor, in most cases, they're off their rookie contracts.

If we get the #1, #2, or #3 pick, keep it. No question about it. Keep it. Draft BPA. Win titles. Rookies are too cheap to trade away.

Kawhi Leonard would automatically make us a contender for years to come. No one would ever score on us and he would vault our ability to turn over teams other and secure rebounds. He doesn't affect our ability to give Gobert the 5-year max either.

Also, Kahwi's max deal is going to look cheap as **** in 2 years. It would be one of the most tradeable contracts in the NBA in case you decided to move him towards the end of his deal.

I think Quin Snyder and his team has shown an uncanny ability to train up young guys & rookies and make the team competitive. Our records are 8-1 so far after All Stars break with like 7 rookies in the team? Are you kidding me????

Keep the pick and let it rip.

I think Quin Snyder and his team has shown an uncanny ability to train up young guys & rookies and make the team competitive. Our records are 8-1 so far after All Stars break with like 7 rookies in the team? Are you kidding me????

Keep the pick and let it rip.

So imagine what he could do with Kahwi, who is still a young dude and is already the best perimeter defender in the NBA.

So imagine what he could do with Kahwi, who is still a young dude and is already the best perimeter defender in the NBA.

Well can we afford to have x4 MAX players going forward? I don't think that's sustainable?

Flexibility seems to be DL's MO, I doubt he'd MAX 4 players, even HOU or DAL would be hesitant to do that....

Kawhi Leonard would automatically make us a contender for years to come. No one would ever score on us and he would vault our ability to turn over teams other and secure rebounds. He doesn't affect our ability to give Gobert the 5-year max either.

I want Kawhi too, but I don't think they are allowed to trade an expiring RFA at draftnight. I don't see how this would happen. It would have to be some under the table agreement "Tell us what you want in the draft and when you resign Kawhi we will trade the rookie for him."

Well can we afford to have x4 MAX players going forward? I don't think that's sustainable?

Flexibility seems to be DL's MO, I doubt he'd MAX 4 players, even HOU or DAL would be hesitant to do that....

Flexibility for what? To get good players, right?

2 years from now the max for Leonard and Hayward will no longer be actual maxes. During those two years I doubt the Jazz will find a better way to spend $$$ than on Kahwi.

I want Kawhi too, but I don't think they are allowed to trade an expiring RFA at draftnight. I don't see how this would happen. It would have to be some under the table agreement "Tell us what you want in the draft and when you resign Kawhi we will trade the rookie for him."

It's a hypothetical question. I have no idea how it would work, but if it hypothetically could, I would do it.

I don't mean a draft-night trade. I know that can't be done. I mean suppose we pick Towns or Okafor, the Spurs have just crashed and burned in the playoffs, it's looking like Duncan might be seeing the end within a year or two. Once the free-agency period starts, I think it's theoretically possible to do a sign-and-trade with the Spurs for Leonard. Anyone know if this is wrong?

They may be inclined to max him out (and would match anything we could propose), but they could decide that if it's time to start the rebuild, its better to go with a scoring center rather than the NBA's best (or near-best) role player.

I'd love Leonard!! But, I just might keep it and out right sign Danny Green, the mans been tearing it up lately!!! Then I'd use the pick on best avble player. Regardless, this is the next the Jazz need to use there cap space next year it gets to competitive!!

I don't mean a draft-night trade. I know that can't be done. I mean suppose we pick Towns or Okafor, the Spurs have just crashed and burned in the playoffs, it's looking like Duncan might be seeing the end within a year or two. Once the free-agency period starts, I think it's theoretically possible to do a sign-and-trade with the Spurs for Leonard. Anyone know if this is wrong?

They may be inclined to max him out (and would match anything we could propose), but they could decide that if it's time to start the rebuild, its better to go with a scoring center rather than the NBA's best (or near-best) role player.

It would have to be some kind of sign and trade. I think Burks, Booker, and the rights to the draft pick for Leonard and some sort of draft pick(s).

It would have to be some kind of sign and trade. I think Burks, Booker, and the rights to the draft pick for Leonard and some sort of draft pick(s).

I like Leonard, but if I'm DL, I'm not doing this. We haven't seen healthy Alec with Quin, and Alec is a better 3 pt shooter (actually really good on catch and shoots this year) than Kawhi. Alec also has potential to be a really good perimeter defender. Throwing in Burks, Booker, and a top 3 pick for Kawhi would be too much. The main fear is that Kawhi is a Spurs system star. I know that we love the Spurs and like to implement their stuff, but our system has evolved from what they're doing based on our players, and it's working.

I would trade pick and booker for Kawhi straight up, though.