What's new

Hypotheticals if Jazz get pick #2 or 3

If we get the #1, #2, or #3 pick, keep it. No question about it. Keep it. Draft BPA. Win titles. Rookies are too cheap to trade away.

Exactly. You could keep the a top-3 pick and STILL free up about $12M in cap space. However, if we had the #3 pick and Towns and Russell were gone, I'd trade places with Sacramento for their 1st rounder plus Stauskas.

JUST KIDDING!!!

Exactly. You could keep the a top-3 pick and STILL free up about $12M in cap space.

You're right. And that could well be the best way to go. Although I think it's also worth considering this:

The best free agents out there are restricted. The likelihood that we'd snag one of them may not be high (teams probably inclined to match). Even out of the good non-restricted free agents, our chances of getting a real difference maker may be low. It doesn't necessarily do us much good to have $12 million in signing space unless we are really sure that we're getting a difference maker. A S&T may be one way to put the odds on our side.

Of course the question is whether Kawhi is enough of a difference maker to make it worthwhile.

Some of y'all are straight tards. Kawhi Leonard is going to be better than pretty much everyone in this draft.

You're right. And that could well be the best way to go. Although I think it's also worth considering this:

The best free agents out there are restricted. The likelihood that we'd snag one of them may not be high (teams probably inclined to match). Even out of the good non-restricted free agents, our chances of getting a real difference maker may be low. It doesn't necessarily do us much good to have $12 million in signing space unless we are really sure that we're getting a difference maker. A S&T may be one way to put the odds on our side.

Of course the question is whether Kawhi is enough of a difference maker to make it worthwhile.

Is the NBA Finals MVP who is also the best perimeter defender in the NBA and is improving offensively a difference maker?

Tough question (sarcasm)

Trade it with a bunch of stuff for Durant.

You can't even dribble within 10 feet of Kawhi or pass within 15 feet of him without him stealing it. He would add another dimension to our defense.