What's new

I shouldn't be stoking old flames, but...

scootsy

I find this table highly disappointing.

8u9ehy3y

It certainly doesn't look good now, but if the cap does go up over the next few years. Then it might not be so bad. The percentage of the cap that he takes up will be less. And hopefully Hayward improves too.

I find this table highly disappointing.

8u9ehy3y
Actually that table makes me feel better than I did before. We all know why Lance went for as little as he did. The only one significantly less expensive is DeRozan. All we can do now is hope that Gordon is motivated and capable of earning his money.

BTW, do you think fans of other teams are constructing similar tables that show how their front court player was overpriced compared to Favors? Extensions don't usually cost as much as free agents, but we can't force anyone to take an extension offer.

BTW, do you think fans of other teams are constructing similar tables that show how their front court player was overpriced compared to Favors?
Which teams/players? Favors is a decent player, but I don't think the Jazz are getting that much surplus value relative to the contracts other young bigs have received.

Amare Stoudamire ;)
Amar'e was an all-star in all 4 years under his first contract extension with the Suns. The Suns averaged 54 wins per season, and reached the Western Conference finals in Stoudemire's last season with the team. Not a great example.

Hayward is better than the other players in that table.
Thompson, DeRozen, Lance and Gordo are all pretty close in overall quality IMO (I like Thompson best). If Eric Gordon could stay healthy, he'd be at least as valuable as those 4.

I laughed at the Raps fans I know after DeMar signed his extension, but it's proven to be a great value contract. He's not a perfect player, but like lots of the current players on the Raps, he's extremely competitive and extremely committed to his craft. He also seems to genuinely like playing in Toronto.

Hayward is better than the other players in that table.
I think they are all pretty even.... though Hayward from last year is probably the worst of the bunch...... but the highest paid

I completely disagree. Derozan is waaaaaay better IMO.
Hey prick, I read that gone girl book you recommended and commented about it in the jazzfanz book club thread

Amar'e was an all-star in all 4 years under his first contract extension with the Suns. The Suns averaged 54 wins per season, and reached the Western Conference finals in Stoudemire's last season with the team. Not a great example.
How about the current Amar'e? Is he worth what he's being paid? I don't think so.

I completely disagree. Derozan is waaaaaay better IMO.
The question is whether Derozan can be anything more than an all-star first option on a middling team. He is nowhere near good enough to be the first option on a championship team and a lot of guys, especially those who aren't great shooters, can't really fit in without the high usage rate.

I was pissed (still sorta am) about the Hayward contract. But I've (mostly) moved on... I'm getting excited about how he'll look in a system that, on paper, appears to be a much better fit.

Also, Derozan and Thompson are definitely better players at this point. Eric Gordon is too glass.

I think it can be fairly argued that all are better than Hayward. So what? The Jazz paid what we paid cant do nothing about it. Hopefully, a year from now everyone will agree that Hayward is better than all of them.

Guess we'll see how much of Hayward's slump was due to being misused by a bad coach in a bad system. Not a bargain of a contract, but it was a lose-lose either way. I GUARANTEE you had Lindsey offered Gordon a contract equal to Favors (or slightly more), he would have been castigated even more. It was ridiculous when some were estimating Gordon would get $8-$9M.

So Jazz either keep their player at an inflated price, or lose him for nothing. He's tradeable in 3 years if/when the Jazz need to free up money. Or he rebounds from his slump and is almost worth his contract. It's really not a big deal.

Does it really matter? Gordon got his money now he has to earn it. The market was different when those other guys got paid. Look what Bledsoe got. He got overpaid too. I wasn't happy with the precedent that the Jazz set with overpaying Hayward. I hope it doesn't come back and bite them when they try to sign other players. I am expecting a better season from Gordon. I think the coaching change will help but I think the Jazz are overall better than last year. Time will tell if he actually earns it.