What's new

I think the Jazz are tanking....or at least not trying to win a lot of games

Ferguson_Mellochill

2019 Prediction Contest Winner
First of all, look at our bench now that our young players with experience are all starting. A team that wants to win games won't leave its bench so completely devoid of veterans and scorers. Trevor Booker and Joe Ingles in particular were last-minute additions to our team. These are not guys who are going to sustain or continue to build a lead. There's no offense there. Exum and Gobert aren't ready to lead an attack. For whatever reason Evans and Clark don't get any burn. The Jazz have one of the worst benches in the league right now.

Why doesn't Quin Snyder even get angry when his 2nd unit gives up a 10+ point lead and turns it into an 8 point deficit? Why doesn't he go to mismatches in his favor? Why does he only sub Burke out after Reggie Jackson breaks us down 12 plays in a row?

This season is two things:

1) an experiment to evaluate where our young players are at in their development, and

2) an overt effort to make sure the Jazz get a top-7 pick in a strong 7 or 8-player draft.

I'm not complaining about this. I have no problem with it. But lets not pretend the Jazz are serious about trying to win games this year. Set your expectations accordingly. This team isn't built to win.

I disagree. I think Quin is trying to do every thing in his power to win. I actually feel like he's giving too much time to certain starters in hopes of winning games. Even in this game he put in the starting five with 9 minutes left in the fourth quarter.

The starters did come back in with 8 or 9 minutes left in the 4th. At that point, we were down 15 pts. after being down just 2 and 5 pts. mid-way through the third quarter.

The first quarter was more of the same. The Jazz were up by 9 or 10 pts. Booker and Ingles come in the game and 4 minutes later we're down by 2--an 11-pt. swing in 4 minutes to end the 1st quarter.

I'm saying there's no way the Jazz can win games with the bench the way it is now, and it sure looks to me as though it was planned that way.

Quin is playing the cards he was dealt. He's trying to establish some structure and player roles, and see what our young players can do. But our strategy this year looks to be much the same as last year.

Like I said, I'm okay with it. Just temper your expectations that the Jazz will have more than 30 wins.

I agree.

DL gives the game away when he added Ingles who is by all accounts a rookie in this league when we're down Hood who was gonna be a SOLID sub off the bench at the pivotal position of SG/SF. Not finding a legit replacement for Hood and let things slide during the East Coast trip was definitely a tell tell sign that we're not trying 'hard' to make the playoffs this year. We've definitely took a step back when Burke didn't pan out the way we wanted him to.

All that being said I think this will be the last 'tanking' year though. We've locked up Hayward, Favors and Burks. We've got our star in Exum (and potentially another 1 next year). We'll be ready to sign legit vet to help this team win IMO.

IMHO I think that Gobert should start and Kanter come off the bench. NOT that I think Kanter should start, but it would give our team offense off of the bench kind of like a Ginobili type of role.

I agree.

DL gives the game away when he added Ingles who is by all accounts a rookie in this league when we're down Hood who was gonna be a SOLID sub off the bench at the pivotal position of SG/SF. Not finding a legit replacement for Hood and let things slide during the East Coast trip was definitely a tell tell sign that we're not trying 'hard' to make the playoffs this year. We've definitely took a step back when Burke didn't pan out the way we wanted him to.

Lol....you thought we may make the playoffs. Lol.
All that being said I think this will be the last 'tanking' year though. We've locked up Hayward, Favors and Burks. We've got our star in Exum (and potentially another 1 next year). We'll be ready to sign legit vet to help this team win IMO.

Lol....you thought we may make the playoffs. Lol.

Of all the young players we've drafted since 2010, the only ones who are still showing star potential are Hayward and Exum. To that end, Kanter, Burks and, to a lesser degree, even Favors have been disappointing, let alone Trey Burke. So we're going back to the draft like a blackjack player asking the dealer for another card.

In all fairness, Burks logged a lot if minutes with the second unit last night, but somehow he wasn't effective. He wasn't getting good looks. I'm not sure what it is with him, but he doesn't seem to do much off the ball and doesn't seem to blend in well with other players.

Last year, the Jazz struggled to score enough points to win games. We had our young "core 5" players playing heavy minutes, but even if they each scored 16 or 18 points in the same game, this would only get us 80-90 points total. It's not enough to actually win a game. The only games the Jazz won last year were those where Richard Jefferson and Marvin Williams had good shooting nights, thereby pushing our point total up over 100 pts.

It's the same strategy again this year, except Quin Snyder is a better coach than Ty Corbin. He also plays at a faster pace. So we jettisoned Marvin Williams and Richard Jefferson and replaced them with guys who can't score. Our starters last night all had double figures on decent shooting percentages, but the team ended with 82 points, not enough to win a game regardless who we're playing.

Last edited:
In all fairness, Burks logged a lot if minutes with the second unit last night, but somehow he wasn't effective. He wasn't getting good looks. I'm not sure what it is with him, but he doesn't seem to do much off the ball and doesn't seem to blend in well with other players.

Burks has been really disappointing so far ...

The Jazz really need to walk out of this draft with Winslow or Johnson. Burks is looking more like a 6th man, unfortunately.

Or Porzingis? Some says he has Dirk potential.

Teams have been drafting euro bigs for the last 12 years hoping to get the next Dirk and often end up with a bust.
Porzingis does have high potential though, and the one player I would consider over Johnson/Winslow.

I've been shocked at how Burks' has been playing. I've been a huge Burks fan since we drafted him and he's probably the most disappointing player on the team for me. I'm hoping he can figure out his place in Quin's offense. It just seems like he isn't attack the rim like he use to.

I've been shocked at how Burks' has been playing. I've been a huge Burks fan since we drafted him and he's probably the most disappointing player on the team for me. I'm hoping he can figure out his place in Quin's offense. It just seems like he isn't attack the rim like he use to.

On a positive note, Hayward has been solidly winning his match-ups recently. His ability to get all the way to the rim this year is making a real difference. He could average over 20 pts if we keep featuring him as much as we have the past few games.