What's new

I think we need to shake up the roster...

mdalby

We need to make a move to change the chemistry somewhat.

Maybe we need a Dort, Barnes, some kind of change.

We need to make a move to change the chemistry somewhat.

Maybe we need a Dort, Barnes, some kind of change.
We've needed that for 3 seasons. Now 4. And the FO doesn't do anything to address it. They don't see it as a problem. Nothing will change. Even moving assets for a Grant or Wood would be tremendous for us. Ain't gonna happen.

We've needed that for 3 seasons. Now 4. And the FO doesn't do anything to address it. They don't see it as a problem. Nothing will change. Even moving assets for a Grant or Wood would be tremendous for us. Ain't gonna happen.

Have lacked perimeter defense for 4 seasons now and haven't done anything to fix it LOL. Just pray and hope we shoot 35%+ from 3 ball land in the playoffs!

now would be the time to do it.

Pels is in a dumpster fire and Blazers/Grizzlies aren't exactly in great shape either. We need to act quickly and take advantage of the situation before these teams find other solutions and stabilize themselves. I mean both Grizz and blazers are only a couple of games behind us even though they are supposedly just the "play-in" favorites whilst starting on a much tougher schedule than the Jazz.

As much as I hate to say it I think Ingles will likely be traded. He looks like he's cooked. I think we'll ship him off to a team that's just looking for an expiring contract.

We don’t need a roster shakeup as much as we need an offensive overhaul. There’s no ball movement, not enough emphasis emphasis on ball movement, getting Gobert and Whiteside dunks and too much one on one. Last year we were shooting wide open spot up threes. This year we are taking contested threes, using screens to get bigs matched up on guards and taking long threes or step back threes off the dribble. Offense has gotten lazy. Players aren’t running the offense. Sure, you could say that’s why we need an overhaul, but we have the talent, it’s there. We need to execute better

We don’t need a roster shakeup as much as we need an offensive overhaul. There’s no ball movement, not enough emphasis emphasis on ball movement, getting Gobert and Whiteside dunks and too much one on one. Last year we were shooting wide open spot up threes. This year we are taking contested threes, using screens to get bigs matched up on guards and taking long threes or step back threes off the dribble. Offense has gotten lazy. Players aren’t running the offense. Sure, you could say that’s why we need an overhaul, but we have the talent, it’s there. We need to execute better
What the defense does in response to a screen is up to the defense. The Jazz are not screening to get the switch. Teams have figured out that that’s how to kill last year’s offense.

As much as I hate to say it I think Ingles will likely be traded. He looks like he's cooked. I think we'll ship him off to a team that's just looking for an expiring contract.
You need to change your username to traitor69

That's just part of the problems that come with an aging roster. Players getting lazy and prioritize energy conservation over play execution. Why bother spending all the time and energy to seek your best shot when you can just heave up a random shot within 5 seconds? Hard to keep your players engaged and committed for 82 games when most of them are well over 29 yrs of age. Players ego creeping in too. We desperately need some young guns who are willing to commit

Last edited:
We need to play Gobert and Whiteside together. It’s the only answer. We can restore our paint presence and our rebounding with that move. No more back door cuts or perimeter blow-bys to an open lane. WTF cares about shooting? We can’t hit **** as is.

Honestly, if this is who he is now, then I’ll be mourning the loss of who he was regardless of whether he plays for us or not.

Quin built a death star with a little area that a shark with a laser beam on its head could shoot and blow up the whole thing. When we started this, Rudy and Favors were playing together. This defense caught the league off guard and we were able to even drop this down to just having Rudy be the only part of this and opened up that little laser-beam area. But everyone knows where to shoot the laser beam. Adding Hassan allows him to block those laser beams. It sounds stupid to everyone but I think a blown up death star sounds more dumb.

My mind is definitely open to the idea that these dudes are a little too comfortable.
Yes, but is their mind open to that? I mean, we sucked because they "weren't in their own beds" and "couldn't get comfortable."

Koala Joe needs to go or wake up and find another gear, if he still has one

Yes, but is their mind open to that? I mean, we sucked because they "weren't in their own beds" and "couldn't get comfortable."
Should I start the thread about the ridiculous ways this team will suffer in mid-season because of the politics and personal ambitions surrounding All-Star selections? That’s also become a recurring theme.

Last edited:
The problem is that the league has figured out how to beat the Jazz. Any team that plays a mobile big, stretch-5 or small-5 can move Rudy out of drop coverage. Then the rest of our guys get exposed defensively and can be hunted for mismatches. Jazz can tell these guys to play harder on defense, but they're limited in what they can do.

One solution to this that wouldn't require wholesale changes to the roster would be to bring in a secondary rim protector who can rotate down when Rudy gets pulled out. Maybe Rudy Gay fits that description, not sure. Otherwise, this would be a Jerami Grant or Christian Wood-type player at the 4. I keep hearing rumors that the Rockets would be willing to trade Wood, and I'm assuming they want picks.

The ideal guard to pair with Donovan Mitchell would be someone who can play both on and off the ball on offense, but who can also guard switches. So that would be more the Shai Gilgeous archetype than the Mike Conley or Jared Butler archetype. From that perspective, Desmond Bane would have been a good pick for the Jazz in the late 1st round a year ago. I can also see why the Jazz tried for so many years to make Dante Exum successful. If he had panned out, he'd be ideal next to Mitchell. Nonetheless, Conley is very good and the Jazz love him, so he's not going to move. If the Jazz had someone like Derrick White in their rotation, I think they'd still play him as the 4th guard in their rotation. It's more likely that the Jazz will try to make a fix on the wing.

With Rudy pulled out of position, the guy that gets exposed the most defensively is Bojan. He was getting killed in pick-and-roll coverage by Kyle Lowry, and guys like Duncan Robinson and Tyler Herro were easily getting a step or two on him to create open shots. Against the Nuggets, Aaron Gordon destroyed him in isolations and post-ups. Bojan is just a limited defender. Good coaches know to go at him and put him on an island. I'm not sure what to do about him tbh. He's like our version of Carmelo.

The other thing teams do against the Jazz is switch 1 - 5 on defense. This stymies the Jazz's ball movement and exposes our system players, which include Joe and Royce, as they can no longer score or move the ball well. The solution here would be to replace one or both of them with a more effective 2-way wing. The pie-in-the-sky archetype here would be Jaylen Brown, which obviously won't happen. The problem is the entire league is hot for 2-way wings, and I'm not sure what the Jazz can get here. The value of guys like Miles Bridges, Mikal Bridges and Keldon Johnson is through the roof. This again is where Rudy Gay can make a difference. The expectation is that he can make an impact defensively and also put the ball down and attack on offense.

If Rudy Gay can prove himself as a help defender on the floor next to Rudy, and if he can prove his ability to make plays offensively against a switching defense, then I think you're going to see Gay take some of Bojan's and Royce's minutes against teams that know how to exploit the Jazz. Otherwise, I could see Bojan or Joe getting traded by the deadline.

Last edited:
The problem is that the league has figured out how to beat the Jazz. Any team that plays a mobile big, stretch-5 or small-5 can move Rudy out of drop coverage. Then the rest of our guys get exposed defensively and can be hunted for mismatches. Jazz can tell these guys to play harder on defense, but they're limited in what they can do.

One solution to this that wouldn't require wholesale changes to the roster would be to bring in a secondary rim protector who can rotate down when Rudy gets pulled out. Maybe Rudy Gay fits that description, not sure. Otherwise, this would be a Jerami Grant or Christian Wood-type player at the 4. I keep hearing rumors that the Rockets would be willing to trade Wood, and I'm assuming they want picks.

The ideal guard to pair with Donovan Mitchell would be someone who can play both on and off the ball on offense, but who can also guard switches. So that would be more the Shai Gilgeous archetype than the Mike Conley or Jared Butler archetype. From that perspective, Desmond Bane would have been a good pick for the Jazz in the late 1st round a year ago. I can also see why the Jazz tried for so many years to make Dante Exum successful. If he had panned out, he'd be ideal next to Mitchell. Nonetheless, Conley is very good and the Jazz love him, so he's not going to move. If the Jazz had someone like Derrick White in their rotation, I think they'd still play him as the 4th guard in their rotation. It's more likely that the Jazz will try to make a fix on the wing.

With Rudy pulled out of position, the guy that gets exposed the most defensively is Bojan. He was getting killed in pick-and-roll coverage by Kyle Lowry, and guys like Duncan Robinson and Tyler Herro were easily getting a step or two on him to create open shots. Against the Nuggets, Aaron Gordon destroyed him in isolations and post-ups. Bojan is just a limited defender. Good coaches know to go at him and put him on an island. I'm not sure what to do about him tbh. He's like our version of Carmelo.

The other thing teams do against the Jazz is switch 1 - 5 on defense. This stymies the Jazz's ball movement and exposes our system players, which include Joe and Royce, as they can no longer score or move the ball well. The solution here would be to replace one or both of them with a more effective 2-way wing. The pie-in-the-sky archetype here would be Jaylen Brown, which obviously won't happen. The problem is the entire league is hot for 2-way wings, and I'm not sure what the Jazz can get here. The value of guys like Miles Bridges, Mikal Bridges and Keldon Johnson is through the roof. This again is where Rudy Gay can make a difference. The expectation is that he can make an impact defensively and also put the ball down and attack a switching defense on offense.

If Rudy Gay can prove himself as a help defender on the floor next to Rudy, and if he can prove his ability to make plays offensively against a switching defense, then I think you're going to see Gay take some of Bojan's and Royce's minutes against teams that know how to exploit the Jazz. Otherwise, I could see Bojan or Joe getting traded by the deadline.

Bingo. The problem is we have 67 guys that can ordinarily shoot the **** out of the ball, and one and a half guys that can guard more than a chair. When we miss shots, or when teams have the personnel to pull Rudy out and exploit everyone else on D, we lose games. This isn't complicated. We are a death star with multiple thermal exhaust ports: (1) lack of positional versatility/perimeter defense (we have a lot of short guys that can shoot and score, and a couple of really tall guys that can defend okay, every medium-sized guy we have is old and slow) which makes it easy on both ends for teams that can switch 1 through 5; (2) mentally weak (just screw around with us a bit and we'll lose our **** and go ballistic); (3) way too dependent on shooting (we are inevitably going to have games where we don't hit shots; makes it hard to win when you can't defend and slug out an ugly win in those circumstances).

We really don't need Bojan Bogdanovic, but some other team surely does. FInd a trade that makes sense.

We are far too all in on what we like to do from a roster construction perspective.

Last edited: