What's new

If Hayward left, or were traded.

Engorged On Unborn Gore

The more I watch Hood, the less fearful I am that Hayward might walk. As in: I am not afraid of the Jazz becoming irrelevant without him.

Watching their respective games, and how they get points, yields some startling differences. Hayward can shoot, but much of his game relates to driving into the paint. He does have a nice mid-range game with some step-backs, but most of the time he either shoots from the perimeter or grinds his way through opponents on his way to the rim. The problem with his game is that it will consistently leave him spent when the post-season arrives. There are far too many games in the NBA regular season.

Hood, by contrast, is a better shooter albeit more streaky. I realize that Hayward's percentages are slightly better at the moment, but take that in context of what has happened this season. Hood is essentially evening out with Hayward offensively in only his second year in the league. Hood's game is much more refined with his mid-range game, high post ups, controlled drives, P&R, and the release point of his shot. His shooting from the 3-point line essentially opens up the rest of his own game, and is not reliant upon anyone else because of his ability to keep his defender on his hip and shoot over the defense at mid-range. Think about that for a second, and then realize that his controlled game will not tax his body nearly as much as Hayward's will his over the course of a season.

What is startling about this how early in his career Hood is able to do this ****. What is even more startling is thinking about how much he will improve as he ages. The entire Jazz offense can be built around him, Favors, and a capable point guard that can pass and shoot. Add a second-year Trey Lyles off the bench to that mix, and we are talking about a dynamic offense that won't quit.

As much as I love Hayward, he has become superfluous because of the emergence of Hood & his superior game. Having them both is a luxury I don't think the Jazz can afford because of the extensions that must be offered to Gobert and Favors. Now might be the best time to trade G-Time.

The more I watch Hood, the less fearful I am that Hayward might walk. As in: I am not afraid of the Jazz becoming irrelevant without him.

Watching their respective games, and how they get points, yields some startling differences. Hayward can shoot, but much of his game relates to driving into the paint. He does have a nice mid-range game with some step-backs, but most of the time he either shoots from the perimeter or grinds his way through opponents on his way to the rim. The problem with his game is that it will consistently leave him spent when the post-season arrives. There are far too many games in the NBA regular season.

Hood, by contrast, is a better shooter albeit more streaky. I realize that Hayward's percentages are slightly better at the moment, but take that in context of what has happened this season. Hood is essentially evening out with Hayward offensively in only his second year in the league. Hood's game is much more refined with his mid-range game, high post ups, controlled drives, P&R, and the release point of his shot. His shooting from the 3-point line essentially opens up the rest of his own game, and is not reliant upon anyone else because of his ability to keep his defender on his hip and shoot over the defense at mid-range. Think about that for a second, and then realize that his controlled game will not tax his body nearly as much as Hayward's will his over the course of a season.

What is startling about this how early in his career Hood is able to do this ****. What is even more startling is thinking about how much he will improve as he ages. The entire Jazz offense can be built around him, Favors, and a capable point guard that can pass and shoot. Add a second-year Trey Lyles off the bench to that mix, and we are talking about a dynamic offense that won't quit.

As much as I love Hayward, he has become superfluous because of the emergence of Hood & his superior game. Having them both is a luxury I don't think the Jazz can afford because of the extensions that must be offered to Gobert and Favors. Now might be the best time to trade G-Time.

Good points these guys have drank the lemonade of Hayward. You'd think he was the next MJ the way they treat him. Hood is going to be better then we might lose him because we are so obsessed with holding Hayward up. If Hayward was to leave he wouldn't put up the numbers he does here he is purely a system guy. He is valued here the same way when the offense revolved around boozer he was valued. He was a backup in Cleveland before he came to the Jazz then was a dud in Chicago. Hayward benefits as being our point guy. He never earned that role.

Trade Hayward for a bunch of picks and an expiring deal and then throw Harrison Barnes a max offer this summer to replace him.

If that doesn;t work go for Beal, then DeRozan and slide Hood to SF.

If that doesn;t work go after Nic Batum, and then if that doesn't work go after Kent Bazemore

Hayward walking is a worse outcome than all of those scenarios..

Trade Hayward for a bunch of picks and an expiring deal and then throw Harrison Barnes a max offer this summer to replace him.

If that doesn;t work go for Beal, then DeRozan and slide Hood to SF.

If that doesn;t work go after Nic Batum, and then if that doesn't work go after Kent Bazemore

Hayward walking is a worse outcome than all of those scenarios..
Hayward walking is worse than getting the 60th pick in the 2035 draft. I've been scouting the newborn units at the hospital and the prospects, though raw, seem promising. The crop just keeps increasing year over year! At least get SOMETHING if he starts to give off the DWill attitude!

It's fine to have confidence in rodney, but let's be honest... Hayward, per 36, is better in every single statistical category. He is doing this, while defenses are literally scheming to stop HIM. Unfortunately I think rodney would be far less effective if he saw the best defender (or two) swarming him all game like Hayward does. Not only that but imo (and statistically) Hayward is the better creator, facilitator, and defender. That said, I like Rodney's game and I'm glad we have them both.

Charlotte really screwed us over giving Hayward that opt out. Hopefully DL gets his revenge somehow.

It's fine to have confidence in rodney, but let's be honest... Hayward, per 36, is better in every single statistical category. He is doing this, while defenses are literally scheming to stop HIM. Unfortunately I think rodney would be far less effective if he saw the best defender (or two) swarming him all game like Hayward does. Not only that but imo (and statistically) Hayward is the better creator, facilitator, and defender. That said, I like Rodney's game and I'm glad we have them both.

Couldn't have said it better.

There are a few things that bug me about Hayward, for instance his lack of passion at times. He's never given any hint whatsoever that he likes it in Utah (buys a home in California).

I totally agree that Hood might make Hayward expendable. Hayward is a sharp shooter when he has his feet set. You look at Hood and due to his length and his shooting form he can and scores more often off of a pick and roll than Hayward, to me this is pretty obvious. And since he's a bigger threat from the perimeter he can find it easier to drive to the paint or do a floater, something we haven't seen from Hayward. He just has more offensive tools imo. Yes Hayward might be better defensively although I don't see the same Hayward that I've seen in previous years in this area. We're at a crossroads with Hayward, and I think DL needs to be brave about making the decision of improving this team through him.

Plus, has anyone ever heard Hayward give any kind of hint that he likes it in Utah? I just don't know about him...

^Hayfever doesn't live in Utah full-time so I have a wedgie. Here's some thoughts about Hood, poorly contextualized with respect to team play. We're at a crossroads apparently. More wedgies.

^Hayfever doesn't live in Utah full-time so I have a wedgie. Here's some thoughts about Hood, poorly contextualized with respect to team play. We're at a crossroads apparently. More wedgies.

What are you even talking about? All I'm saying is compare the way Hood shoots with the way Hayward does and tell me who's been shooting it better in movement. We're not going to be able to keep all of our guys, so we might as well look for what's better for the team moving forward. Well, who am I kidding when I've seen a thread here titled "Is Hayward God".

#haywardworshiperz.com

There are a few things that bug me about Hayward, for instance his lack of passion at times. He's never given any hint whatsoever that he likes it in Utah (buys a home in California).

I totally agree that Hood might make Hayward expendable. Hayward is a sharp shooter when he has his feet set. You look at Hood and due to his length and his shooting form he can and scores more often off of a pick and roll than Hayward, to me this is pretty obvious. And since he's a bigger threat from the perimeter he can find it easier to drive to the paint or do a floater, something we haven't seen from Hayward. He just has more offensive tools imo. Yes Hayward might be better defensively although I don't see the same Hayward that I've seen in previous years in this area. We're at a crossroads with Hayward, and I think DL needs to be brave about making the decision of improving this team through him.

Plus, has anyone ever heard Hayward give any kind of hint that he likes it in Utah? I just don't know about him...

i heard a radio interview with him where he was saying how beautiful it is in Utah and that all the guys love it there.

these guys are both excellent players and i hope we have them both long term.

Having said that I'll be bummed if anyone leaves for the sake of getting a few extra million.

grinds his way through opponents on his way to the rim.

This is the biggest flaw in Haywards game imo. It never looks easy when he drives into the paint. Never smooth. He is always slogging through traffic crashing into everyone... Amazingly he is still effective at it

What are you even talking about? All I'm saying is compare the way Hood shoots with the way Hayward does and tell me who's been shooting it better in movement. We're not going to be able to keep all of our guys, so we might as well look for what's better for the team moving forward. Well, who am I kidding when I've seen a thread here titled "Is Hayward God".

#haywardworshiperz.com

what about when Hood is out with diarrhea? Who do you think is the #1 priority for opposing defensive schemes? Why are you in some drama about one or the other? How much are you trying to convince yourself that you've got the ****ing beat?

This is the biggest flaw in Haywards game imo. It never looks easy when he drives into the paint. Never smooth. He is always slogging through traffic crashing into everyone... Amazingly he is still effective at it

I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees the slopiness. That's why it's important to determine whether if it'd be better to keep him or if we can find pieces that compliment Hood-Favors-Gobert better. It's too many plays down the stretch that have made me cringe. He's not showing what it takes to make it to the next level. Just an opinion from someone who dreams of Utah getting the ring.

what about when Hood is out with diarrhea? Who do you think is the #1 priority for opposing defensive schemes? Why are you in some drama about one or the other? How much are you trying to convince yourself that you've got the ****ing beat?

Don't be childish. It's about what's better for the team in the long run. Time to get down and dirty in the FO.

Hayward has given plenty of hints that he'd love to stay in Utah his whole career. Read his damn blog.

Sucks how so many Jazz fans hold Hayward not being a superstar against him. He's still really damn good and well worth his money. Plus it's not like the Jazz are going to be able to flip him for a superstar. I honestly wonder if the whole "We have to trade Hayward before he leaves us!" attitude is a projection of some more personal insecurity that certain Jazz fans have.