What's new

If not Rubio then what?

Jazz know what they're doing with Dante. His defense alone justifies his contract against a rising cap, and his offense is a work in progress

Guys... the answer to me is DM is the "point guard". He has enough playmaking, he is more point guard sized... he plays more like a shooting guard but he's just a playmaker. Ingles can make plays as well. Just don't get a Kyle Korver style two guard who can't handle or run a PnR and we are fine. Our system is setup well to go without a PG.

I don't think Ricky or Dante are the ideal long term fits... keep one... move the other. Doesn't have to be now, but I want to see what DM looks like with AB more now to see how it works.

There are a few guys we could get this season that I think work better than Ricky. He's a great guy but his game isn't ideal for what we are doing. We have big decisions coming up and we need to see what works best around our core guys.

Guys... the answer to me is DM is the "point guard". He has enough playmaking, he is more point guard sized... he plays more like a shooting guard but he's just a playmaker. Ingles can make plays as well. Just don't get a Kyle Korver style two guard who can't handle or run a PnR and we are fine. Our system is setup well to go without a PG.

I don't think Ricky or Dante are the ideal long term fits... keep one... move the other. Doesn't have to be now, but I want to see what DM looks like with AB more now to see how it works.

There are a few guys we could get this season that I think work better than Ricky. He's a great guy but his game isn't ideal for what we are doing. We have big decisions coming up and we need to see what works best around our core guys.
It was intriguing to see Q go with Burks to close the game the other night (when Ricky fouled out). Burks has definitely been playing better this year (in terms of passing, especially).

I agree with pretty much all of this.

I firmly believe that we need to make a decision pretty quickly about Rubio, Burks and Favors. All 3 are touch and go in terms of being dependable core guys. I would hate to ride out the season relying pretty heavily on those 3 expiring guys without developing the layer behind them (Exum, Grayson, O'Neale and Niang). And when we get to summer, I would also hate to just re-sign them because we don't have faith in what we have and we can't find anything better.

It was intriguing to see Q go with Burks to close the game the other night (when Ricky fouled out). Burks has definitely been playing better this year (in terms of passing, especially).

I need to see it a few more games to fully believe it, but he's played smart and I don't feel like he's had the defensive lapses. With freedom of movement in full effect having a foul magnet like AB is great.

I'm just out on Ricky... his shooting is so, so bad... his turnovers are rough. His defense is spotty. He definitely has a knack for key plays but that doesn't justify a starting spot on a playoff team. You have to be Marcus Smart levels of good to justify how bad he is on offense. I think I could live with it if he was hiding in the corner, but he handles the ball so much, and he shoots just as much as Joe and Jae.

The guard/wing spot next to DM is our biggest area we can improve on imo.

I need to see it a few more games to fully believe it, but he's played smart and I don't feel like he's had the defensive lapses. With freedom of movement in full effect having a foul magnet like AB is great.

I'm just out on Ricky... his shooting is so, so bad... his turnovers are rough. His defense is spotty. He definitely has a knack for key plays but that doesn't justify a starting spot on a playoff team. You have to be Marcus Smart levels of good to justify how bad he is on offense. I think I could live with it if he was hiding in the corner, but he handles the ball so much, and he shoots just as much as Joe and Jae.

The guard/wing spot next to DM is our biggest area we can improve on imo.
I've long stood by Ricky. I'm going to stay in that spot until the end of this year. But, going forward, it's hard to disagree with you.

I've long stood by Ricky. I'm going to stay in that spot until the end of this year. But, going forward, it's hard to disagree with you.

This is proof that Ricky is the most divisive player ever... he divided @NAOS and I.

I admire your patience... and I want to be clear... I really like Ricky and recognize there are some things he does that help us. I will cheer for him now and likely throughout his career. His limitations just drive me nuts and I think they are really holding us back.

Now you're all just saying what I said in the OP. What a bunch of copycats.

I have kind of been in that camp, but it just keeps gaining steam in my mind. Some national guy mentioned seeing DM in person and you kind of see how small he is and it's striking. It just kind of struck me that he should be the primary ball handler and many things point to he should be playing more like a PG. He was considered a combo guy and has shown more playmaking than originally anticipated. Getting another wing and rolling with Joe and DM makes so much more sense to me. I have some thoughts on available targets... will post another time in a separate thread though.

I don't know what the answer is for us at point guard moving forward but I'm completely out on Rubio. Maybe we can add someone via trade or free agency or maybe we can move Donovan to the point. Rubio has to be one of the worst shooting point guards in the history of the NBA. Defenses are sagging way off of him and daring him to shoot and he still can't hit wide open shots. He kills our spacing and makes life much more difficult on Mitchell, Ingles, Gobert etc. Most nights it's almost like we're playing 4 on 5 on the offensive end. We don't need a pure point guard, just a guy who can knock down shots and not turn the ball over very much. If we could just find someone to give us the same production George Hill did then we'd be set. I don't want to use any of our cap space to re-sign Ricky.

Last edited: