What's new

I'm not a doctor, but I'm going to say this anyway (about IT Band Syndrome)...

NAOS

If you have IT Band Syndrome at the end of the offseason, then it means you aren't very good at taking care of your body. That includes any/all of the following: proper strength training, treatment regimes, diet, etc. If this happened 60 games into a season, I'd be like "****, well... hope it gets better soon." It should not be an issue at the beginning of the season.

This is on Favors, his offseason staff, and the Jazz medical team.

So this is your uninformed opinion? Or did you actually try to look stuff up?

So this is your uninformed opinion? Or did you actually try to look stuff up?

He has a point. The injury is an overuse injury. I dont think there is any other way to get it. I don't think you can "tweak" something and boom you have IT Band Syndrome.

He has a point. The injury is an overuse injury. I dont think there is any other way to get it. I don't think you can "tweak" something and boom you have IT Band Syndrome.

I'm not saying he doesn't. I am asking questions. I know nothing about it.

Is this uninformed opinion or did you look into it and this is legit?

I wonder if him having twins this off-season contributed to it. I'm guessing twin babies interupt your sleep schedule often. That combined with what was reported to be an all-time high in intensity and focus on his off-season training, maybe have resulted in overuse of the tendon.

I'm not saying he doesn't. I am asking questions. I know nothing about it.

Is this uninformed opinion or did you look into it and this is legit?

I mean, we have no idea at the exact cause of the injury, but it is commonly an overuse injury. It's weird to get an overuse injury in the first game of the pre-season. it could be straight up overuse, or something like he isn't stretching properly/wearing ****ty shoes/has terrible running form leading to injury.

Also, I dont think there has ever been a reported case of IT Band Syndrome among NBA players before Favors. It's something marathon runners get.

I mean, we have no idea at the exact cause of the injury, but it is commonly an overuse injury. It's weird to get an overuse injury in the first game of the pre-season. it could be straight up overuse, or something like he isn't stretching properly/wearing ****ty shoes/has terrible running form leading to injury.

Makes sense. It was reported that he was working out hard to avoid future back issues. Maybe he skipped leg days?

Either way it has hurt the team.

I'd blame the training staff before I'd blame favors. By all accounts he worked his *** off. If he was working with our staff someone should get fired. In my fitness journey I have felt the effects of bad advice and sustained some training related injuries. There are likely other ways you can get this other than just running. If some exercise regimen caused it then it was something that should have been avoided.

Not sure I'd pin it on favors... also this is likely something other players have played through so I'm not surprised it isn't commonly reported. I think holding him out to get it right is the correct move but at some point you just have to let players work through some of these nagging injuries. After a month or so no one is 100%.

Insert snarky balance beam comment...

I had IT band syndrome after running a lot. I would just fall down with no warning. It is kind of hilarious. My knee would just give out sometimes. Also, it hurt pretty bad when I would try and massage the quadriceps area. Used a foam roller a lot.

I'd blame the training staff before I'd blame favors. By all accounts he worked his *** off. If he was working with our staff someone should get fired. In my fitness journey I have felt the effects of bad advice and sustained some training related injuries. There are likely other ways you can get this other than just running. If some exercise regimen caused it then it was something that should have been avoided.

Not sure I'd pin it on favors... also this is likely something other players have played through so I'm not surprised it isn't commonly reported. I think holding him out to get it right is the correct move but at some point you just have to let players work through some of these nagging injuries. After a month or so no one is 100%.

Insert snarky balance beam comment...

yep. Blame should fall squarely on the staff and not Derrick. Only way it falls on Derrick is if he blatantly didn't follow the advice of the medical and coaching staff (and this certainly didn't seem like the case when both glowed about his work-ethic this offseason).

Even if he ****ed off and did his own thing, it's up to the team to know what he's doing, and how it will help him.

--

with all of this said we're all extrapolating a lot.

I don't know that you can blame it on the trainers. Maybe Favors didn't tell them about it until it was too late. An athlete needs to know his own body. The trainer is there to facilitate healthy decisions but the athlete also has to know when to back off.

I don't know that you can blame it on the trainers. Maybe Favors didn't tell them about it until it was too late. An athlete needs to know his own body. The trainer is there to facilitate healthy decisions but the athlete also has to know when to back off.

excellent post. This is why I put Favors himself at the top of my list. He's been in the league a long time now. He should have learned his body better. You don't get IT Band Syndrome at the end of the offseason if you've done that.

That's it? We can't find more people to arbitrarily blame? We can reach deeper. With the lack of knowledge about this situation I'm positive we can find more people to blame. What about P3, his family, Quin, his mail carrier, his dog, maybe the weather, fans, people who make ****ty threads he might read and stress him out and anyone else. Let's get angry at more people because we know little to nothing about what happened or even if this is actually what he has so let's use that knowledge to blame people.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using JazzFanz mobile app

That's it? We can't find more people to arbitrarily blame? We can reach deeper. With the lack of knowledge about this situation I'm positive we can find more people to blame. What about P3, his family, Quin, his mail carrier, his dog, maybe the weather, fans, people who make ****ty threads he might read and stress him out and anyone else. Let's get angry at more people because we know little to nothing about what happened or even if this is actually what he has so let's use that knowledge to blame people.

I already blamed his twin babies.

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

please give me a plausible and blameless scenario for developing IT Band Syndrome over the offseason. Don't blame genetics. Go! tia.