What's new

Inception **^^**

Wow... this looked to me like ****... guess not.

I wasn't very high on the avatar train either though.

So very excited. Anyone seen the previews for Paranormal Activity 2? Also I cant believe they are making a Little Fockers movie.

7 reviews seems a bit premature to be throwing the victory party.

For what it's worth, I thought the original trailers didn't sell this movie well. I had seen about 4 different trailers at one point and had no idea what the movie was about. Later previews have made it appear more intriguing but I think the fanboy cult of Christopher Nolan is more than a little weird.

He might have the highest delta between perceived skill as a director and actual skill as a director among all those currently working.

Anyone want to talk about Insomnia? Following? Or how about that "The Prestige" uses one of the lamest possible gimmicks second only to "it was only a dream," as a vital plot device? Over the last ten years dude has seriously needed an editor. There isn't a single film he's made after Memento that wouldn't have been made better if it was 10-20 minutes shorter, and I really liked The Dark Knight. Inception has a reported running time of 148 minutes. Given Nolan's previous work I can almost guarantee you that there are going to be long segments that draaaaaaaaaggggggg.

(He said, while dusting his collection of Tarantino memorabilia)

Is that Hattori Hanzo in your avatar? I rest my case.

In all seriousness, Tarantino is clearly the better writer/director. Of directors who made their debuts in the 1990s his only real competition is PT Anderson. Nolan, in terms of writing ability and technical skill, is back somewhere with Baz Luhrmann, Guillermo Del Toro, Danny Boyle, and Mike Judge.

In all seriousness, Tarantino is clearly the better writer/director. Of directors who made their debuts in the 1990s his only real competition is PT Anderson. Nolan, in terms of writing ability and technical skill, is back somewhere with Baz Luhrmann, Guillermo Del Toro, Danny Boyle, and Mike Judge.

Calm down, sir. I was just bustin your huevos.

Verrrry Goooood!

Yes, it is Hattori Hanzo

Dude (Nolan) makes good movies, I wouln't compare him to Tarantino though. Quite frankly I'm just happy that I'll be able to take the bad taste of The Last Airbender out of my mouth. I'll hold verdict until I see it obviously but based on what critics (now) are saying about the film it appears that it could be his best yet. I hope, for our sake, that it is. This summer could really use a good movie

7 reviews seems a bit premature to be throwing the victory party.

For what it's worth, I thought the original trailers didn't sell this movie well. I had seen about 4 different trailers at one point and had no idea what the movie was about. Later previews have made it appear more intriguing but I think the fanboy cult of Christopher Nolan is more than a little weird.

He might have the highest delta between perceived skill as a director and actual skill as a director among all those currently working.

Anyone want to talk about Insomnia? Following? Or how about that "The Prestige" uses one of the lamest possible gimmicks second only to "it was only a dream," as a vital plot device? Over the last ten years dude has seriously needed an editor. There isn't a single film he's made after Memento that wouldn't have been made better if it was 10-20 minutes shorter, and I really liked The Dark Knight. Inception has a reported running time of 148 minutes. Given Nolan's previous work I can almost guarantee you that there are going to be long segments that draaaaaaaaaggggggg.

A few things in no particular order...

1) Are you really going to use Following as part of your argument? C'mon you're better than that.

2)I thought every trailer for Inception has been perfect. The first was a teaser and since, each has evolved revealing just a little more about the plot each time. I'd much rather have this than what the other 90% of trailers do which is show you the entire movie, in order, along with seemingly every single memorable moment in it in a 2-3 minute clip.

3) True, Nolan's films do tend to meander at times though none snooze it up as much as Tarantino's Jackie Brown. That said, I found Insomnia to be slow and The Prestige to be even worse. Upon a rewatch, I liked Insomnia much more the second time. Very subtle little flick. I suppose as much as I loved The Dark Knight, I do lose interest in the whole Two-Face component to it. I didn't buy his quick transition to villain and thought his whole archetype was poorly developed all the way around. I know it was crucial to Batman becoming The Dark Knight but still...

A few things in no particular order...

1) Are you really going to use Following as part of your argument? C'mon you're better than that.

Why's that illegitimate? It is, after all, a film he directed.

FWIW: I actually like Following, but I suspect most of those who go crazy over Nolan's Batman movies even know it exists. All that said, Following is a prime example of Nolan trying to copy Pulp Fiction's non-linear time structure.

2)I thought every trailer for Inception has been perfect.

This is the one, in particular, that I remember turned me off to the film. I think part of it is the aggressive periodic low note. The other part is that it makes the film seem a bit derivative of Philip K. Dick stories and the film Minority Report. At this point, I believe it will be better than I originally anticipated, but people crapping themselves over that teaser was ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5VDKVqvo8M