What's new

Is Jimmer Fredette Mormon?

So if there are only 6 "cornerstone potential" players, do the teams picking 7-10 say pass?
And with the 7th pick in the 2011 NBA Draft, the Utah Jazz select....."Pass".

Steve Nash, drafted 15th, and many others did not "have the potential" either, and they were only role players on their teams..... until they broke out.
Nash started to get good in Dallas, but really broke out back in Phoenix.
His first year in Phoenix (rookie) he got 10.5 minutes.
There are tons of great players that get slow starts, so I think your claim he (or anyone) doesn't even have potential to be a "cornerstone" player is garbage.
You may be playing the odds by saying that, but many times teams and front offices are proven wrong one way or another.

Jimmer could easily do what Nash did following his first 8 years progression in the league. Play spotty defense, get the averages up to 17 pts and 7 assists shooting 47% from the field, 40% from 3, and 88% from the line.

It's pretty simple:

If I'm a GM with a Top 10 Pick, I'm going to identify the top 10 players that I believe have the potential to be a cornerstone and I don't deviate from that list of 10 players to draft somebody like Jimmer. Obviously, some years there will be more "conerstone" prospects than others and at that point in time, you simply do the best that you can. However, I don't see any scenario where Jimmer is top 10 value in an NBA draft.

Maybe somebody will reach for him and that's fine, but I wouldn't be the one taking that risk. He's a 6 foot tall SG who's got a nice 3 point % and will hustle for you but he's still going to be a huge liability every minute he is on the floor. Maybe I'd feel different if I thought Jimmer would do well as an NBA PG but I don't.

The fact that you can try and compare Jimmer's potential to Steve Nash during any point in Nash's career tells me that you're looking at Jimmer through blue colored glasses which also means you're not going to be swayed by reason and logic.

Aside from their freshman years, Jimmer's stats and JJ Reddick's stats are nearly identical all three years, except Jimmer has a slight edge in assists. Is this not a fair comparison?

Aside from their freshman years, Jimmer's stats and JJ Reddick's stats are nearly identical all three years, except Jimmer has a slight edge in assists. Is this not a fair comparison?

You "clearly" have never seen Jimmer play.

Perhaps the shooting range and skin color are similar. But their games are completely different. The way Jimmer scores is completely different. He oftentimes drives into the lane, shoots off his wrong foot, and sinks awkward Jeff Hornacek like shots. I've never seen JJ score on the drive... Never in college or pro...

You "clearly" have never seen Jimmer play.

Nor did I assert such. I believe the criteria used was made evident.

Perhaps the shooting range and skin color are similar.

Yes, as are their college stats. Year for year, in fact. But I'm glad I was tipped off as to the underlying reason the comparison was made and not the fact that they were both prolific college scorers who by NBA standards are forced into the 2 slot.

It's pretty simple:

If I'm a GM with a Top 10 Pick, I'm going to identify the top 10 players that I believe have the potential to be a cornerstone and I don't deviate from that list of 10 players to draft somebody like Jimmer. Obviously, some years there will be more "conerstone" prospects than others and at that point in time, you simply do the best that you can. However, I don't see any scenario where Jimmer is top 10 value in an NBA draft.

Maybe somebody will reach for him and that's fine, but I wouldn't be the one taking that risk. He's a 6 foot tall SG who's got a nice 3 point % and will hustle for you but he's still going to be a huge liability every minute he is on the floor. Maybe I'd feel different if I thought Jimmer would do well as an NBA PG but I don't.

The fact that you can try and compare Jimmer's potential to Steve Nash during any point in Nash's career tells me that you're looking at Jimmer through blue colored glasses which also means you're not going to be swayed by reason and logic.

All I am saying is that you are could be wrong in your "opinion" that Jimmer is not in the top 10 on any GM's board. I am saying that cornerstone pieces have been found below top 10 in the draft, and I am saying you have devalued Jimmer because of the red colored glasses you are wearing which also means you're not going to be swayed by reason and logic.

He is 6'2" and is a PG. His passing skills are better than people give him credit, and I used Nash as an example of what is possible. Nash was drafted around where Jimmer will be, he started out slow, and turned into a back to back NBA MVP. Will Jimmer do that... probably not.... but it is possible.

I am just trying to open your mind up a little bit, and failing..... in that things are possible. I am not saying he will definitely be an NBA All-Star.

Jazz have never drafted from BYU as far as my google-fu can tell and there are only 2 players that have been Mormon, Andy Toolson and Thurl Bailey, who was not Mormon while he played in the NBA. Am I missing something?

Don't forget Tom Chambers.

Anybody have an actual thought about this?

Yep.

Ute fan here.

The Jimmer draft dreams were just silly to me a month ago.

But now, since you insist, I think the Jimmer draft ideas may be legit.

Not a chance in hell with the New Jersey pick. Anyone who says that should be kicked in the nads, and/or out of Jazz fanz for violation of the CODE.

Having said that, there's a good chance Utah ends up with their own pick at about #13.

Perfect spot to draft Jimmer. Yes, I'm living a nightmare, but this draft should include Irving, then 300 PFs. Maybe a center or two.

Absolutely no 2 guards. Not that Jimmer is a 2 guard, but Utah needs a shooter. By God, we need a shooter.

Jimmer at 13 wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. (Rather trade Sap for Bogut) ( that's for Trout :) )

I am a buy fan and love Jimmer but I am not convinced he can lead a team. His assistnto turnover ratio is awful. I think if you get a super sub out of Jimmer then you won. I am wavering on wether he is worth the pick

I am a buy fan and love Jimmer but I am not convinced he can lead a team. His assistnto turnover ratio is awful. I think if you get a super sub out of Jimmer then you won. I am wavering on wether he is worth the pick

No way I would buy Jimmer, and he won't be drafted to lead a team.

Then again, I might draft him as a shooter off the bench. Late lotto at best.

Call me crazy.

But we don't need him to lead a team.

That's what we have Harris, Al, Jefferson, etc for.

All we need is for him to come in for 10-15 mins and hit a damn 3. Something none of our guards can do in 48 minutes without a defense and with 20 foot wide rims.

Don't forget Tom Chambers.
Nice catch. He actually came to Utah as a free agent and played for 2 years. Also went to the Univ of Utah-BYU's most hated opponent. So we're up to 2 our of ~250 players to play for the team(since Thurl was not when he played)--Nearly 1%!

By the way, this thread has actually turned out to be a pretty good read. Who'da thunk.