What's new

Is Jimmer Fredette Mormon?

Sadly part of that is serious. Look at who the Jazz have drafted. Any guys in there who weren't model citizens? Partly they assume he is high on the Jazz board because he is high on a lot of the mock drafts and plus the Jazz desperately need someone who can shoot.

What time frame are you talking about? you remember Snyder right?

Any serious responses?

Lots of people seem convinced that he is pretty high on the Jazz draft board and I don't see that. Any reasons why they would be so high on drafting Jimmer?

Yeah yeah I get it, he is mormon or whatever...he is from BYU....he is white...ha ha ha ha ha. We all get it. It is so very funny to hear it the 1,000th time.

Anybody have an actual thought about this?

For the whole season only one white guy has got regular minutes, and one other should always get regular minutes now, but for anyone to act like Utah is some type of white dominated team is pretty ridiculous.

My question is do we really need him? If he really is BPA then take him but I am fine w/ harris and Watson as the points in UT (assuming watson re-signs). Jimmer would ride a lot of pine for a loto pick.

You assume Watson is going to resign. Wouldnt you like to have a PG who can shoot as well. Right now we only have one PG under contract for next year. Jimmer of course is coming out as a senior so there is definitely a chance he could come in and play 15-20 minutes a night.

Just my opinion - but there are plenty of extenuating circumstances that lead me to believe unless Jimmer bombs in the tryouts they will select him with their second #1 pick if he is available.

1-Jazz will most likely have a draft pick from 10-14 where Jimmer has been projected in some of the more generous mock drafts.
2-Jazz will need a back-up PG. We can be fairly certain that Price and Watson will be gone next year - possibly both
3-Jazz need a jump shooting
4-Assuming The Jazz select an underclassman with the Nets pick - Jazz will have at least 3 players on the roster next year that are 21 or younger being most of players projected 1-7 are freshmen. I think this will lead Utah to be more inclined to pick an "older" player with their second #1 pick. As we all know Jimmer is a senior
5-Gail wants Jimmer - Greggy needs to make Mom happy (I'm not kidding)
6-Rebuilding + Lockout are a huge fan repellent. Jimmer is a huge marketing chip whenever play resumes.

You're putting that much weight on the difference between 7 and 9? What about 8? You picking him at 8?

Here's the deal: In a deeper draft, I wouldn't want to see Jimmer taken earlier than the late teens/ early twenties. However, it's not a deep draft and Utah is really hurting for shooters. 10 or later would be great. I probably exagerrated just a bit in my first post. I'd really rather Utah pass on Jimmer if it's in the Top 10.

Even in a weak draft, I think anytime you have a Top 10 pick you've got to take a risk on a player who could possibly be a cornerstone for a franchise. That's not Jimmer.

Here's the deal: In a deeper draft, I wouldn't want to see Jimmer taken earlier than the late teens/ early twenties. However, it's not a deep draft and Utah is really hurting for shooters. 10 or later would be great. I probably exagerrated just a bit in my first post. I'd really rather Utah pass on Jimmer if it's in the Top 10.

Even in a weak draft, I think anytime you have a Top 10 pick you've got to take a risk on a player who could possibly be a cornerstone for a franchise. That's not Jimmer.

In the last 10 years players not picked top 5 that could be considered a "Franchise" player that I could find were : Amare (9th), Kevin Love(5th), Boozer(55th), Roy(6th). At best you're probably only getting a top 8 rotation player or a fringe starter.

If drafting Jimmer means more rap videos then I think I will pass. lol.

I am ok taking the kid if he is the best player available.

Not sure, but his problems since then have made up for it. :) He is an example of just because a guy is a great athlete does not mean he will make it in the NBA.

The point was the Jazz rarely if ever take a chance on a player who isn't a Cub Scout.

The only one I can think who had issues prior was Al Jefferson (DUI).

of course he's Mormon!!!

No one could achieve the success he's had unless they're living the right way.

Magic happens when you're living right on and off the fiel... I mean court.

THIS IS A MUST WATCH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAUVV8BXwlI

LOL!!!

Funniest thing I've seen all day.

As long as Alema thinks that Jimmer rules, then I'm down. Alema knows everything.

What I found cool was how they filmed it had a number of places I'm always at. Burger Supreme on Univ Parkway and J-dogs (amazing hot dogs).

Anyone else notice the dude with the goatee looks a lot like Mark Hacking? That dude who was "studying" medicine at the school up north and murdered his wife?

Also, the latin girl at 1:57 I used to see all the time at school except for this semester. Crazy.

In the last 10 years players not picked top 5 that could be considered a "Franchise" player that I could find were : Amare (9th), Kevin Love(5th), Boozer(55th), Roy(6th). At best you're probably only getting a top 8 rotation player or a fringe starter.

I would say in the top 10 you have to draft a guy that you believe has the potential to be a cornerstone. If said player falls a little short of that potential you probably still have a really nice player. Jimmer doesn't even have the potential to be a cornerstone for a franchise. That's why I don't think he's somebody you draft inside the top 10.

I would say in the top 10 you have to draft a guy that you believe has the potential to be a cornerstone. If said player falls a little short of that potential you probably still have a really nice player. Jimmer doesn't even have the potential to be a cornerstone for a franchise. That's why I don't think he's somebody you draft inside the top 10.

So if there are only 6 "cornerstone potential" players, do the teams picking 7-10 say pass?
And with the 7th pick in the 2011 NBA Draft, the Utah Jazz select....."Pass".

Steve Nash, drafted 15th, and many others did not "have the potential" either, and they were only role players on their teams..... until they broke out.
Nash started to get good in Dallas, but really broke out back in Phoenix.
His first year in Phoenix (rookie) he got 10.5 minutes.
There are tons of great players that get slow starts, so I think your claim he (or anyone) doesn't even have potential to be a "cornerstone" player is garbage.
You may be playing the odds by saying that, but many times teams and front offices are proven wrong one way or another.

Jimmer could easily do what Nash did following his first 8 years progression in the league. Play spotty defense, get the averages up to 17 pts and 7 assists shooting 47% from the field, 40% from 3, and 88% from the line.

Name one "lockdown" PG out there.

The top PGs of today aren't known for being Stockton and running the offense. Just look, the best PGs in the league are known for their scoring.