Is Mike Conley Coming Back?

Well is he?

• Yup

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 51 79.7%

• Total voters
Simple question... is he coming back?

I get the feeling he isn't. Locke had a podcast on it this AM. I also think Mike was pretty non-committal... which is not uncommon but it just came in a way that seemed to say "my time here was great but I'll be moving on".

I think the issue imo is that the Lakers can throw out the MLE and so we need to go quite a bit over that to make it work. I get the feeling that makes us queasy with the tax and his health. I think in the end we work a sign and trade and get something back but that he is gone. I don't think we are hard capped unless we accept a player who was signed and traded. So my prediction is the Conley for Kuzma rumors (even though they are just made up by some internet bozo) become a reality. I think Mike goes ring chasing in a market that is more fun. I'd put the odds at 30% that he is back.
He's not coming back. But we also aren't getting anything for him.

What a terrible failed experiment.

I like Mike. The Jazz as a whole need to get a big bigger, younger and more athletic. The question you need to ask yourself is whether Mike can still defend at a high level. I think the Jazz would bring him back at the right number.

As for Mike's exit interview, Mike may just be posturing until he sees what numbers the Jazz would be willing to offer him. I wouldn't read too much into it.

He will be back unless: (1) an LA team or Miami clears the cap space to offer him; (2) he timely tries to force a sign and trade; and/or (3) Smith simply decides not to go into the tax to bring him back.

I doubt he leaves for an average or minimum deal for another contender. We are his best chance to win a title while also getting paid.

Yup. Yet another reason to can DL... All we had to do was go out and grab somebody to align with Don's age to build going forward. Nope! Went all in on over the hill 30+ year olds in Bogey and Conley in the same off season. Made no sense.
If it had been Brogdon instead of Conley I'm convinced this conversation would be about trying to keep this team together because we'd be in the WCF right now. And that was a reasonable acquisition target at the time. The FO completely ****ed this up. They all need to go.

I like Mike. The Jazz as a whole need to get a big bigger, younger and more athletic. The question you need to ask yourself is whether Mike can still defend at a high level. I think the Jazz would bring him back at the right number.

As for Mike's exit interview, Mike may just be posturing until he sees what numbers the Jazz would be willing to offer him. I wouldn't read too much into it.
I think if he wanted to come back he could have been a tad more positive.

Problem with getting Kuzma/Schroder back is it doesn’t work on our end. We would have to move Favors to even get Kuzma. To get Schroder too we’re talking about moving Clarkson or Ingles without taking salary back too.

Problem with getting Kuzma/Schroder back is it doesn’t work on our end. We would have to move Favors to even get Kuzma. To get Schroder too we’re talking about moving Clarkson or Ingles without taking salary back too.
We could probably dump Ingles and Clarkson if we include a few 2nd round picks. We can do the same with Kuzma and Shroder once we have them secured. TIC

He's not coming back. But we also aren't getting anything for him.

What a terrible failed experiment.
I think we would. He won't go to a cap space team unless Dallas overpays him. Not sure that is a lot better than just staying put. Miami has 25M in space but will clear the decks to get there... I think they'd have their sights set higher and we could "match" what they are willing to do... it is Miami, but as far as a basketball situation I'm not sure it can be viewed as an upgrade right now.

Its really kinda us and the Lakers. They'd be motivated to work with us to a point because they can pay him more than MLE and still keep the rest of the guys under the hard cap. If Mike just takes MLE he leaves money on the table for sure.

Clips don't have full MLE. I don't see any other obvious situations unless he wants to go back to Memphis or to Indiana.

I think we would. He won't go to a cap space team unless Dallas overpays him. Not sure that is a lot better than just staying put. Miami has 25M in space but will clear the decks to get there... I think they'd have their sights set higher and we could "match" what they are willing to do... it is Miami, but as far as a basketball situation I'm not sure it can be viewed as an upgrade right now.

Its really kinda us and the Lakers. They'd be motivated to work with us to a point because they can pay him more than MLE and still keep the rest of the guys under the hard cap. If Mike just takes MLE he leaves money on the table for sure.

Clips don't have full MLE. I don't see any other obvious situations unless he wants to go back to Memphis or to Indiana.
I don't mean we CAN'T get anything for him. I mean we WON'T. It's Haywood all over again. My bet is he just leaves. Our FO doesn't know how to salvage these things. When was the last time we got any assets at all for a player that had the ability to just walk away?

If it had been Brogdon instead of Conley I'm convinced this conversation would be about trying to keep this team together because we'd be in the WCF right now. And that was a reasonable acquisition target at the time. The FO completely ****ed this up. They all need to go.
I watched Pacers for good part of the season and had Brogdon on my fantasy team.

Dude is the emptiest of empty calories, absolute ballhog, tunnel vision and one of worst defenders in the NBA. Availability is good, he scores well, shoots well, passes well off primary actions but he gives them all back on defense and goes back and makes bad decisions whenever he is pressured alongside general inconsistency.

Plus, he also had muscle issues to close the season.

Last edited:
Actually... the Lakers are in trouble... I didn't factor in Harrell contract (they can likely find a taker). They gonna go over the hard cap if they do a sign and trade with us... so that is likely not a great option for them.

Mike might be kinda stuck here unless he wants to take a deep paycut.

I think it's unfair to put too much weight on his recent comments/mood/attitude. The dude just got bounced from the playoffs after having a fantastic series because he wasnt able to physically go. I'm sure he is depressed as **** about the whole situation. Let him breathe and come back to it with a clear mind.

I think if he wanted to come back he could have been a tad more positive.
Yeah knowing how expressive he has been if he'd been wanting to come back he would have said something more like "hopefully we can get something done" rather than "eh we'll see, I guess".