What's new

Is this FINALLY why it’s the Jazz’s time?

Jazzman12

The NBA, maybe more so than any other professional sport in America seems to be about paying your dues- especially come playoff time. So much so that we saw Lebron’s super teams in Miami and LA bounced in the playoffs before ultimately winning it all. Obviously, super teams will have an easier time eventually winning, but for the Milwaukee Bucks and Utah Jazz’s of the world, it can take some time and plenty of frustration. Here’s a look at the last 4 playoff runs for the Bucks:

2021- Champions
2020- 2nd round loss (Heat)
2019- Eastern Conference Finals (Raptors)
2018- 1st round loss (Celtics)

I see the Bucks as a good comparison due to their similar markets and roster make-up. Much like the Jazz, they’d suffer a disappointing playoff exit and spend the offseason tinkering with roster weaknesses around the edges while leaving their 2 stars (Giannis & Middleton) intact. Last season, they finally hit that magic threshold of the right complimentary roster, enough experience with disappointing playoff exits, and some good fortune in the injury department.

It’s still VERY early in the season, but this Jazz team is taking on the feel of a team that could finally breakthrough for a playoff run that looks mighty similar to the one we just saw with the Bucks.

Here’s my reasoning as quickly as possible: Rudy looks poised to have the best season of his career. He’s entering his prime basketball years and he just looks like a more confident player coming out of the Olympics. Donovan, while not in his prime yet, is looking poised to play more complimentary basketball this year. Conley looks great as usual but his value depends on his health come playoff time. The Jazz may have finally hit on bringing in the gritty journeyman that can add toughness and playoff experience to the roster. In the past, they’ve whiffed on guys like Jeff Green but early season returns have been great on Whitesides. Such a low key addition that could end up paying HUGE dividends. Paschall has been a pleasant surprise and gives us a dynamic that this team has simply been lacking these last few years. Plus, we still have Rudy Gay waiting in the wings as he heals. Another player, that if healthy come playoff time gives the Jazz a piece that had simply been lacking during the last few disappointing playoff endings.

As always, health will be the biggest issue for the Jazz come playoff time. If they happen to have the injury gods smiling down upon them come playoff time, it feels like this team is ready to make its storied run to the promised land. Well, at least hopefully. ‍

I mean.... there’s been a ton of chatter about how Bucksy this jazz team is. Even in the national broadcasts. So, yeah, that’s the hope.

Before this, with the acquisition of Conley at the end of his deal, we were the embodiment of the Raptors model.

Hmmm... I think the Bucks winning the championship gives the pundits more confidence in our title chances, but I'm having a difficult time connecting the logic in how that makes any difference for us.

I'm liking that the should be favorites are looking bad right now. The Nets because of Kyrie being crazy and Harden being out of shape, and the Lakers because of their loss of a defensive identity and bringing in one of the worst efficient offensive players in the league. Those things could somehow be corrected by the end of the season, however, and so we'll see.

I think this year is wide open and there are a few different teams (including the Jazz) that have a 10-20% chance of winning. I don't think the Jazz are the favorite, but no one should be considered an overwhelming favorite.

Our best chance to win was probably last season. Kawhi out, CP3 had covid, Bucks in the finals....the Jazz were title favorites at the time and I think that was very appropriate.

The only rule that holds true about winning a title is that you can't win...until you do. The Bucks were on the ropes against BKN. People were making fun of them and their consistent playoff failures, much like the Jazz. If KD wore a smaller shoe size people might still be talking about their failures too. Shows how difficult winning a championship can be. Only one team can win, but that doesn't mean only one team could have one even though that's how most people react after the season.

We're better than last season but we need to make certain we have fixed the weaknesses of last seasons playoffs. I think we've somewhat improved our perimeter defense but we need more. Rudy Gay will help once he's back but I feel like we need a real stopper. The good news is we do have some players to trade (I can see teams inquiring about Bojan or Whiteside).

There are excellent perimeter defenders who aren't scorers who might be semi-realistic to trade for: Thybulle and Isaac come to mind.

It's about health, really. Just like last year. There are more games this year, but the schedule is less of a meat grinder. To be even more blunt, this season depends upon dragging Mike Conley's hamstring healthy into the playoffs and beyond. If we can do that and still have favorable seeding, I like our chances.

"I was watching the lively game Utah contra Denver half a fortnight past when this giant of a man Shaquille O'Neil pronounced during the halftime festivities that Jordan Clarkson is a championship-level 6th man. Inference to the best explanation suggests that the pieces (Rudy, Donavan, Jordan) are there for a championship run. Forward, Jazz!"

We have to win it this year before the color scheme changes to the horrific black and white. That is reason enough that this is our year.

I'd feel better about the Jazz's chances if they had a wing who could create his own shot and score consistently from mid-range. Our wings are offensively limited enough that they really get slowed by switching defenses. I'm not sure if Rudy Gay can do this or not. A guy like Caris Levert could.

It’s really hard to win a championship. Next to impossible if you don’t have a top 5 player (or two!) Jazz don’t have a top 5 player. I wouldn’t get your hopes too high.

That being said, this year and least year are/were the Jazz’s best chances.

Injury Gods have to smile upon the Jazz if they are going to compete. Last year they did for the Suns and CP3 still couldn’t pull it off.

You don’t have to win a championship to make it a good season. This team is really good and will be fun to watch. Fingers crossed everyone is healthy during the playoffs.

Cannot stand the black and white. It's like they are trying way too hard to be edgy. Ooohh look how gangsta this looks, it looks like the mid '00s spurs or the current nets.

We're better than last season but we need to make certain we have fixed the weaknesses of last seasons playoffs. I think we've somewhat improved our perimeter defense but we need more. Rudy Gay will help once he's back but I feel like we need a real stopper. The good news is we do have some players to trade (I can see teams inquiring about Bojan or Whiteside).

There are excellent perimeter defenders who aren't scorers who might be semi-realistic to trade for: Thybulle and Isaac come to mind.
Trading Whiteside ain't the way to go.

Trading Whiteside ain't the way to go.
I'm one of the peeps who voted he would have the biggest impact of the new guys but it depends on what we get for him - if another team needs a center they will likely make us a sweet deal. The only guys with trade value who are realistic trades are Whiteside and Bogie. Quin will revolt if Royce is traded and I doubt they would ever trade Ingles as he's engrained into this franchise. The Exum-Clarkson trade was just ineptitude on Cleveland's part. Teams likely aren't going to trade for our non-rotation, non-producing guys.

We have a real chance but it's kind of pointless to make a big discussion about it now. We can have it before the playoffs when it will be more clear who is healthy, what midseason moves other teams made, has Kyrie come back to some sense etc

Just keep winning the games we are supposed to win while also winning some of the tough games. Play everybody so they are as comfortable as possible. Hope for the best of health.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Jazz have been really close for 2 years. We had two really frustrating playoffs with falling apart when we were ahead and looked like the much better team. But injuries killed us those years. If healthy we would have destroyed Denver and who knows from there. Last year we were pretty thin and injured but should have still won that series. Everyone points to Kawhi being out but we did okay when he was there. We were really beat up by the end.

That said we are a better team this year and more so in the playoffs assuming we stay healthy. It will be a real shame if we never see this team healthy in the playoffs so I hope this is the year. It also makes it hard for the front office to make changes when they cant see what they have when it matters.

We can beat any team in a 7 game series this year if healthy. I am pretty sure we will be the #1 seed unless we have bad injuries or really start resting.