What's new

It's the most wonderful time of the year (first game of the year!). Hou @ Jazz Game 1 of many.

Nice to see Burks play the best SG in the game to a standstill, despite being somewhat limited with his drive game due to Dwight protecting the basket.

Nice to see Burks play the best SG in the game to a standstill, despite being somewhat limited with his drive game due to Dwight protecting the basket.

Burks played great individual D, but the gameplan was clearly to suck in on all of Harden's drive and limit him from getting all the way to the rim, which resulted in a lot of 3's. All of Harden's assist were for 3 pointers. We may have to change up this type of defense and let him get his points next time.

Watching the Thunder/Blazers game. Thunder getting killed by 3's just like we did.

PointguardKobe must be in heaven without Durant. 11-26 FGs 38 points and a loss. The loss kinda sucks, but hey, at least he got to score 38 points!

Bloody hell. You sound like Bill Clinton arguing over what the definition of "is" is. Under your definition next year Lebron won't be a max player because the cap will have gone up and his contract will no longer be at 30% of BRI. Utah DID have a choice with Gordon, just like Houston had a choice with Parsons. They could have said "see ya later" and turned to a FA whose contribution would have been better value on the dollar.

But as Ty would have said, it's only one game. We can see if Gordon "overpaid but not at heyhey's definition of a max deal" Hayward comes close to producing stats that in any way justify his $16M salary. I won't hold my breath.

NEWSFLASH

Houston has Howard and Harden. Papi wouldn't be that wide open if he was playing in Utah. Houston is a big market with no state income tax. The same goes for Dallas which was Parsons destination. We were not going to get a guy to come to a rebuilding Utah team on a good deal.

dumb comparison

The more I think about it the more I feel like Quin screwed up by taking Exum out of the game. Especially when you have in mind that the Rockets were shooting 3s like crazy and Dante is one of the few players we have who have the length and quickness to bother people on the perimeter.

With Burke and Hayward being our main facilitators, it will help tremendously if they can hit open shots. They combined for 9/27 tonight.

The more I think about it the more I feel like Quin screwed up by taking Exum out of the game. Especially when you have in mind that the Rockets were shooting 3s like crazy and Dante is one of the few players we have who have the length and quickness to bother people on the perimeter.

I don't think so. I think he took him out while he was still at a high point. 19 year old kids first NBA game against a playoff team. Let him get some burn and build his confidence but don't throw him to the wolves. The thing I like most about Snyder is that he seems to be trying to build the skills of his players as much as win. I think he understands that all of these guys need some srs polishing. I think that's why Gobert gets the ball so often at the top of the arc when he is in. He doesn't run the offense like that for the other bigs. I assume he is doing it so that Rudy can develop good passing skills.

I don't think so. I think he took him out while he was still at a high point. 19 year old kids first NBA game against a playoff team. Let him get some burn and build his confidence but don't throw him to the wolves. The thing I like most about Snyder is that he seems to be trying to build the skills of his players as much as win. I think he understands that all of these guys need some srs polishing. I think that's why Gobert gets the ball so often at the top of the arc when he is in. He doesn't run the offense like that for the other bigs. I assume he is doing it so that Rudy can develop good passing skills.

I think we shot over 50% with zgobert off the court and 33% with him on. Don't really remember but Locke posted it.

Few things:

1. Burke drove to the basket in a manner that he would not last season. When Howard was out, he had great success. This bodes well. Not a lot of Howards in the NBA.
2. Jazz are going to need to consistently do this time and time again until they get respect from the refs. You could tell that the ref was aware of Howards fourth foul and swallowed the whistle when he completely mugged Hayward. Hayward needed to get right back on his horse and go at Howard again. Challenge Howard AND the ref.
3. Weren't the Jazz shooting 60% in the first half? The offense is right on track. Outside of Harden, Houston's D is pretty stout.
4. You give Kanter 10 games as a starter to start figuring things out. If he can't, you trade him. If a decent offer comes along, you trade him anyway.
5. Hood has cut off Exum from getting any burn at SG. Hood demands at least 15 min a night right now, probably more as we progress.
6. Anything wrong with the D right now is fixable. If what we saw tonight is the baseline, I am encouraged.
7. Somebody is going to need to hit that corner 3 or more peeps will be cut to make room for someone else who can. It is obvious that Quinn feels like it is a must.

Few things:

1. Burke drove to the basket in a manner that he would not last season. When Howard was out, he had great success. This bodes well. Not a lot of Howards in the NBA.
2. Jazz are going to need to consistently do this time and time again until they get respect from the refs. You could tell that the ref was aware of Howards fourth foul and swallowed the whistle when he completely mugged Hayward. Hayward needed to get right back on his horse and go at Howard again. Challenge Howard AND the ref.
3. Weren't the Jazz shooting 60% in the first half? The offense is right on track. Outside of Harden, Houston's D is pretty stout.
4. You give Kanter 10 games as a starter to start figuring things out. If he can't, you trade him. If a decent offer comes along, you trade him anyway.
5. Hood has cut off Exum from getting any burn at SG. Hood demands at least 15 min a night right now, probably more as we progress.
6. Anything wrong with the D right now is fixable. If what we saw tonight is the baseline, I am encouraged.
7. Somebody is going to need to hit that corner 3 or more peeps will be cut to make room for someone else who can. It is obvious that Quinn feels like it is a must.

Well that escalated quickly, or we could, you know, move him to the bench, because we still need depth on this team.

Well that escalated quickly, or we could, you know, move him to the bench, because we still need depth on this team.

At this point you play Booker extended minutes and back him up with Novak. Novak doesn't appear to be any less of a defensive liability than Kanter at this point (this could change, obviously) Some of those minutes are going to be filled by Gobert and Favors playing together. Jazz were playing Hayward at PF for a time tonight as well. If you place Kanter on the bench, he will be gone next year anyway, so he isn't a long term solution as a bench big.

I think that the point of his statement (could be wrong) was that if he's not a good fit, you get something for him while you can. Trade deadline is the end of that possibility. I've been a big advocate of starting the Core 5 lottery guys together, but Booker and Gobert make me less concerned about that and more concerned about seeing what Quin's plan for player development is. As far as that's concerned, it might be far better to pair Favors and Booker together to start and then have Gobert and Kanter work with the 2nd unit. Then mix and match until you find the combos you like for every sotuation. I'd personally love to see Gobert and Favors tried together. The plain and simple fact is that Utah is a YOUNG team and they need playing time and experience. They don't know the offense and defense yet. Time and practice will make it better. I hope Snyder tries all kinds of things to determine what (and who) works for him. That might mean that one or more of the core players today finds him(them)selves outside the rotation tomorrow. I just want to see a franchise that fights, plays good defense and shows heart and passion. They need a guy who will lead them and I just don't know if he's already on the roster yet.

I think first foul on dfavs really bothered us. that's the reason that howard played well in first quarter.

This only thing this game really did is put me back into reality after the preseason. We are really, really, ridiculously young. This season is going to be fun, but probably really frustrating.

NEWSFLASH

Houston has Howard and Harden. Papi wouldn't be that wide open if he was playing in Utah. Houston is a big market with no state income tax. The same goes for Dallas which was Parsons destination. We were not going to get a guy to come to a rebuilding Utah team on a good deal.

dumb comparison

That's crazy talk. Utah is pretty and peaceful and safe for kids. I'm pretty sure most players value that kinda stuff more than warm weather/winning situation/nightlife, etc..

I don't know if this got anyone else's attention, but this last scene of the intro video that was shown in the arena screen, Snyder standing in a dark room immediately reminded me of G-Man from Half-Life.

And while I was checking out the game, I realized that Exum reminds me of Tong Poe.

And Exum's father Cecil was a teammate of the one and only Michael Jordan in the NCAA champion team North Carolina in 1982? Wow! Talk about legacy. There is a strong feeling about his Exum kid that he is going to be a big time player.

Last edited:
The Jazz had 13 offensive rebounds, forced 18 turnovers and led 62-44 in points in the paint but was outscored by 33 points on 3-pointers

This is about as much of a summary as i need. The defense will take time to learn.

But if we lose again tomorrow i say we trade everyone and ship off to seattle.

Alright everyone, Chill!

arnold-schwarzenegger-as-mr-freeze.jpg.cf.jpg