What's new

J.R. Smith is on the block

David Stern

https://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5486098

Denver Nuggets guard J.R. Smith is on the trading block, according to an AOL FanHouse report.

Smith, a six-year veteran, is entering the last year of a contract that will pay him $6.03 million this season.

Smith
Though Smith has been mentioned in trade rumors before, a source told AOL FanHouse that the Nuggets' sudden willingness to move the shooter is tied to the team choosing not to renew the contract of vice president of basketball operations Mark Warkentien.

Warkentien has been one of Smith's largest supporters within the organization, the source said, having orchestrated the deal that brought Smith to Denver in 2006 via a trade with the Chicago Bulls.

Smith was runner-up for the 2008-09 Sixth Man Award but regressed last year, averaging 15.4 points per game on 41.4 percent shooting.

Smith has had issues in the past with Nuggets coach George Karl and was seen visibly sulking on the bench as the team was knocked out in the first-round of the NBA playoffs by the Utah Jazz this spring.

His brash behavior was also on display following a Game 4 loss to the Jazz, as Smith called out his teammates on Twitter saying, "You play selfish you lose selfish that's all I'm saying about the game!"

Smith is the latest Denver player to reportedly have a limited future with the team as sources told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher earlier this week that Carmelo Anthony will likely part ways with the franchise.

So would you give up the TPE for Harpring to get him? Denver dumped Camby a few years back as well if you remember, so this isn't out of the realm of possibilities. The guy is a huge risk/high reward type player.

The ball hog with attitude issues? No thanks, I can't even picture what situation would make him a "high reward" player, since he's simply not very good.

Why not? Sloan doesn't have to play him, and if he gets to be a locker room cancer, you just simply murder him in his sleep.

Very, very, very, very streaky player. He would give Sloan a whole lot more gray hair. HOWEVER, I would take him AND Nene for AK in a heartbeat. Heck, I'd even throw in Ronnie Price:cool:

everyone jump on the bandwagon as ive said a few months ago we should go afetr him. Yes he has been very immature but he is very talented and lets face it dwill is a leader and melo is not. Dwill and sloan will make him be accountable for himself unlike melo and karl who babied him. Great size for a 2 guard. If he was with a stable team i think he could shine. Ofcourse he is dumb as bricks so you leave him as a reserve off bench behind bell.Much better option then the rookie.

I have mixed feelings about this guy. He seems to be streaky, but so was KK. He is without a doubt a 3-point threat and can stretch the defense.. which is something we really don't have yet.
I would consider going after him if he wasn't such a suckerpunch.

Oh and props to ncoloradojazz for claiming to start the JR craazz. You get +45 interwebz. They are redeemable at nowhere.

I'm going to say yes to my own idea because worst case scenario is that we could package him later on for someone better.

NO NO NO NO NO!

JR Smith is one of the dumbest basketball players I have ever seen. I have never seen someone make so many bad decisions. He shoots fade away 3 pointers when your suppose to be running the clock down. He is a horrible passer. He gets so many turnovers when he actually tries to pass the ball.

Its either a fade away 3 pointer, bad pass or a out of control drive to the basket. He cannot play within an offense. I honestly cannot think of a worse player to put into the Jazz system than JR Smith. He is on the same level as Iverson. Except I actually think Iverson makes better decisions. And I hate Iverson.

Anyone who actually thinks he could work in the Jazz system needs to go back and watch film on this guy because you obviously haven't seen him play enough.

When he was with the Hornets he was putting up amazing numbers towards the end of his rookies season or 2nd season. And Byron Scott benched him constantly the next season. I of course was just looking at his stats. And I couldn't figure out why. When I actually started watching him play I understood.

Anyways the Jazz would never do this because we are over the luxury anyways and Sloan wouldn't allow the trade to happen. So it will not happen anyways.

It's not my money and its only for one year, so sure come on over JR. He isn't an ideal fit, but he has some talent and some nasty that we lack.

and he does shoot a ton of crappy shots but man when hes on, he is one of the best in the league and you have to respect his 3 point shoot anytime he on the court becasue he will just keep shooting them until he catches on fire

JR Smith is about one of the only players of his kind I would say NO too. He just is a complete idiot of a player.

and he does shoot a ton of crappy shots but man when hes on, he is one of the best in the league and you have to respect his 3 point shoot anytime he on the court becasue he will just keep shooting them until he catches on fire

That is the problem you don't want guys who can shoot you out of games so easily. JR Smith shot his team out of games more than he wont them games. By a large amount too.

The Nuggets are not looking to trade him for salary cap relief so keep wishing. And even if they did trade him for nothing it wouldn't be to someone within the division or even western conference.

They are looking for similar talent. Why would they look to make the team worse when they are trying to keep melo there?

One of the biggest boom or bust players in the NBA. You may recall that he absolutely murdered the Jazz in Game 1 of our playoff series with Denver, scoring 18 points in the fourth quarter.

All that said, I remember talking to Denver fans in the stands and they flatly admitted that they had a love/hate relationship with J.R. and that it was impossible to commit to him fully because you cringed every time he shot until he hit a couple in a row. That doesn't really sound like a guy that I want.

Does anyone know why his shooting declined so precipitously last season?

This would be a no. Using a trade exception does not matter in relation to luxury tax. True we could try to trade someone to a team who still has cap room to reduce tax burden, but not worth the risk with a guy who would be in Sloan's doghouse from about minute 1 on.

he could be the differance maker for the Jazz any game and I think that he would have a more stable team and coach with the Jazz then he did with Denver and he can be the game changer we need. A line up of Dwill Bell Jr Jefferson Memo would be a pretty scary lineup

SMITH is more of a sg and Miles to me is a sf and I think they would play great together on the floor