What's new

J.R. Smith is on the block

Hayward > Smith
Fixed.

Unless we're dumping AK or Miles, there simply aren't enough minutes to give to another wing. Yes, I know AK can play some at the 4. But at the expense of Millsap? Jefferson? Well, I guess you could assume Memo plays ZERO minutes.

96 minutes at the 4/5: Jefferson (35); Millsap (31); Okur (20); Fes (10)
96 minutes at the 2/3: AK (30); Raja (28); Miles (28); Hayward (10).

What I don't want happening is Hayward not getting in games. And quite frankly, Smith is a horrible shooter. Do we really want a guy who only hits 43% and needs to take a bunch of shots to even be effective?

I want to see the main rotation players get enough minutes to be effective. It was a terrible situation when Sloan was trying to find enough minutes for Harpring, AK and Miles at SF or Brewer, Korver and Matthews at the 2.

Three man rotation at the 2/3 and 4/5, with each getting 28-35 mins, and 10 minutes for Fes and Hayward in supporting roles. IMO, that's a perfect amount of PT for everyone. If Okur isn't ready in Ocotber, then increase everyone's minutes a bit and slide AK over behind Millsap. Or bring in a guy like Mikki Moore to play 10-15 mins/per.

Without Memo
4/5: Jefferson (37), Fes (15), Millsap (34); AK (10)
2/3: AK (22), Raja (30), Miles (30), Hayward (14)

But seriously Miles is a better defender than he is.

Smith always struck me as a gambler on defense, but not horrible otherwise. He was primarily responsible for a lot of the Korver ball denial we saw in the Denver series and did that somewhat effectively.

FWIW: Smith's on-court/off-court defensive numbers indicate that the team was 1 point better per 100 possessions with him on the floor than off it, which doesn't read as an indictment that he's a horrible defensive player. Utah, on the other hand was 6.2 points worse defensively with Miles on the floor than with him on it.

C.J. also stole the ball at a lower rate and fouled at a higher rate.

I think it's difficult to make the Defense argument in this instance because the numbers just don't support it.

And Miles might be a chucker but he is less of one than JR.

Their true shooting percentages were identical last season. In previous seasons Smith has shot significantly better from the field than Miles after taking into account free throws generated and point value of the shots selected.

Miles makes better decisions and passes better also.

Their turnover and assist rates are nearly identical.

No way in hell. The guy is a chucker. We don't need him in our offense.
He's a thug, and wouldn't get along with Sloan. Being a Jazz fan you should know this.
The first thing you must think about when adding a player is, can he coexist with Sloan. Jr Smith? Doubtful.

If we wanted a 3 pt guy we should have just resigned Kyle.

Smith always struck me as a gambler on defense, but not horrible otherwise. He was primarily responsible for a lot of the Korver ball denial we saw in the Denver series and did that somewhat effectively.

FWIW: Smith's on-court/off-court defensive numbers indicate that the team was 1 point better per 100 possessions with him on the floor than off it, which doesn't read as an indictment that he's a horrible defensive player. Utah, on the other hand was 6.2 points worse defensively with Miles on the floor than with him on it.

C.J. also stole the ball at a lower rate and fouled at a higher rate.

I think it's difficult to make the Defense argument in this instance because the numbers just don't support it.

Their true shooting percentages were identical last season. In previous seasons Smith has shot significantly better from the field than Miles after taking into account free throws generated and point value of the shots selected.

Their turnover and assist rates are nearly identical.

I never said Smith was horrible I defense. I just personally think Miles is a better man to man defender. The biggest jump out of Miles games last year was in the playoffs. His defense was amazing compared to how he played before. He made huge strides. And it wasn't just one game. He was good the entire series. And he got better throughout the year.
Smith gambles a lot more on defense and I personally see that has a bad thing. Most good man to man defenders don't get a lot of steals (Raja Bell, Bruce Bown). Its rare to be a good man to man defender and get a lot steals.
And that stat for defense while on the court is flawed. Most teams have certain rotations that they go to every game. So they are usually playing with a different set of players than lets say another wing player. Its a good indicator but its not a solid stat.
And again Miles got better throughout the year. His stats don't show what kind of defender he is now.

And I called Smith a Chucker. I never stated anything about shooting percentages. There is a difference. Smith does not shoot within the flow of the offense. He never has. Miles has gotten better and better about shot selection. I would rather have somebody shoot 40 percent and shoot within the offense rather than have somebody like smith even shoot 44 percent but have really bad shot selection. It ruins team chemistry and leads to bad transition defense when the shots are missed. Smith might shoot 44 percent one year but the games he misses badly he keeps shooting over and over. You lose games because of him. Miles isn't going to shoot you in or out of games as much. Thats the difference between the two. Something a stat cannot show.

Ron Artest with the Pistons.

I'd say Artest with the Pacers even moreso. They're just pulling their way out of the hopper antics of Artest, Jackson and Tinsley that have lingered for years. Re-signing him would be like rosepark taking back his girlfriend who was the centerpiece of a ham sandwich between the bread, two guys. There's some **** you don't forget and can't forgive.

Last edited:
https://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/08/25/police-j-r-smith-involved-in-altercation-at-nuggets-practice-f/?synd=1

Police: J.R. Smith Involved in Altercation at Nuggets Practice Facility
8/25/2010 8:00 PM ET By Sam Amick

Denver Nuggets shooting guard J.R. Smith was involved in an altercation at the team's practice facility on Aug. 13, when police arrived after a player not associated with the Nuggets claimed to have been attacked by the mercurial 24-year-old.

After numerous sources told FanHouse of the incident, the Denver Police Department confirmed it on Wednesday afternoon.

"We did have a report of an altercation that took place at the Denver Nuggets' practice facility," Detective John White of the Denver Police Department told FanHouse by phone. "That case was investigated and ultimately presented to the district attorney's office. ... Ultimately, the district attorney's office, after being presented with the findings by the Denver Police Department, decided not to pursue charges.

"We were called to that location about an incident possibly involving Mr. Smith. When we got there, the officers conducted their investigation. It did involve Mr. Smith."

Gee, I wonder why he's on the trading block?

If Sloan could get him to accept being a catch and shoot, coming around the curl guy, I'd take him in a heart beat. Not only that, but instead of having Price creating something for himself at the end of quarters when Deron is resting, we could have JR doing this instead and he would be great at it.

Wrote this before I read about the choking incident. Guess the guy is going over the edge right now. Was he always like this, or did these problems develop since he came into the league? Too bad, the guy has the talent to be a superstar.

Last edited:
Man, you guys can have him some of the Rockets fans are wanting him to come to Houston, but I want no part of him.....maybe Sloan could handle him but I doubt it, he is a certifiable idiot.

DD

What is wrong with a little choking? squeezing the life out of an opposing player is a very crafty veteran move!