What's new

Jabari Parker was almost traded.. not returning to bucks next year? Will jazz pursue?

jiggamanjazz

I think JP is the kind of dude that would publicly state that he dislikes being the second/third option, ala Wiggins.

From the money he would want, and his injury risk/history, to potentially his temperament, everything in my mind screams to stay away.

The Jazz dont have cap-space unless they do some impressive maneuvering, which is a lot to ask to pursue a RFA who could just be matched after all that work.

The Jazz dont have cap-space unless they do some impressive maneuvering, which is a lot to ask to pursue a RFA who could just be matched after all that work.

Projected 2018 cap sits at 101 to 108 mill (depending on what you read)

The Jazz would have to find a taker for Burks with out taking much back.
Wave the right to Favors (makes since if you go after Parker)
Sign Exum for right around his qualifying offer
Waive Jerebko

They would be 20 to 30 mil million under the cap so would have plenty of money to spend

Last edited:
I'm surprised this thread wasn't made earlier...

Let me be the first to say it'd be unfair to Rudy to bring this slacker in to be paid top-dollar in exchange for his lackluster(and thats putting it nicely) defense.

The only option that would work is a sign and trade. If the report is correct they would likely be open to it.

If another team he likes doesn't pony up a big contract I could see something there. They'd have to eat AB and we could send Jonas and Udoh's contracts if we got it done before the guarantee dates (I think 7/9). Gives them some salary relief... we likely have to include an asset.

I'd say the chance went from 0% to 1%... kind of a lot to happen and I'm not sure he'd want to come here or that we'd be willing to pay him.

if i was the Jazz i would offer him a 1 year low ball offer. Milwaukee would or should match then he is unrestricted next summer and they jazz have 1 more year to watch him and have more money next summer

if i was the Jazz i would offer him a 1 year low ball offer. Milwaukee would or should match then he is unrestricted next summer and they jazz have 1 more year to watch him and have more money next summer

Why would he do that though? With his injury history you better believe he wants the max, hence why he doesn't think he is returning to Milwaukee. When you're a small market team with a great player, you're on the clock to build a contender around them and it is essential you don't tie up their cap in the wrong players/screw yourselves, because if you do you will lose them in free agency.
To that end, I think it is really important that the Jazz don't bet on the wrong piece. We have Gobert and Donnie, and we have to find the third foundational piece (and continued development of mitchell and gobert) to take the step into contention. Don't know how much I believe that guy is Jabari.

I'm sorry but imo, Jabari wouldn't be worth it even if he wasn't a risk for knee issues. People that have as much indifference to defense as he does, at no point would get along with Rudy, which means don't even attempt it. He's just not good. He's kinda anti-Jazz culture. Better offensively, possibly, than anyone we have, but not worth the exorbitant money he's going to get to rehab the next acl tear.

Agree with majority of comments here. Ive jumped off Jabari and on Crowder as our solution at the 4. If you arent a plus defender I would stay away, throw everything at a Kawhi, PG, Butler.

I know its a long shot but galf measures wont work anyway.

I'm surprised this thread wasn't made earlier...

Let me be the first to say it'd be unfair to Rudy to bring this slacker in to be paid top-dollar in exchange for his lackluster(and thats putting it nicely) defense.
His rebounding is nothing special either.

Plus if we replace Faves with Parker, we will have to add a back-up center to the roster as well.

This would only be legal if the Bucks release him. As long as they give him a qualifying offer, a contract has to be for at least two years, excluding any options. If they give him the maximum qualifying offer, a contract has to be for at least three years, excluding any options.

“Take it for what it is. But, @GeryWoelfel is close to Jabari and the Parker family. This morning @1057FMTheFan he reports Jabari was "very, very close to being traded" at deadline, feels there is "slim to none" chances that Jabari is on Bucks next season. http://www.1http://www.slamonline.com/nba/jabari-paker-very-very-close-being-traded/

What do you guys think? Worth the risk? Would you take a chance on this even if the risk means losing favors?
Hell no!!! God no!!!!!!!!!!

I'm pretty settled on keeping D at the 4 AND shooting. Since well-rounded rim protectors that shoot threes are almost unicorns, the next way of approaching it is by stocking the team with large, tough, defensive minded wings that can play the 4 by committee.

In other words, meh to Jabari. It would be exciting to get him, but odds are it would end up being frustrating eventually.