What's new

Jackpotting Around Podcast: Episode 6 - Tony Jones From The Athletic

Elizah Huge

Respect All, Fear None
Contributor
2024 Award Winner
I feel like this episode is our best one yet and an absolute banger!!! Huge shoutout to Tony Jones for coming on the podcast with myself and @Handlogten's Heros. You do not want to miss out on this one. There is so much great content in this episode. Links are below and as always thank you so much for the support!!! Any and all feedback is always welcome.

Spotify:

View: https://open.spotify.com/episode/4G8O51Rx8Nf0RmvhPdEeuR?si=bNSpfrskT9Gkt_REpjOA9Q

Apple Podcasts:

View: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/jackpotting-around-a-utah-jazz-podcast/id1728148741?i=1000646204658

Great get and a good convo.

A bit perplexed on his response to the feeling in the lockerroom - which was straight up the management line and what they should actually think. Then again, every beat writer depends on the team FO much more than the players.

Congrats @Handlogten's Heros and @Elizah Huge

How long have you been doing this together? How did it start? Did one of you approach the other? Who were previous guests? Anyone from this site?
We just started last month. It was an idea we both had when we met up at Summer League in Las Vegas last July and we discussed it then. Other previous guests so far has been Andy Larsen. Nobody from the site yet but that will come in due time.

The podcast name is "Jackpotting Around" but the intro says "podcast that tells you what you need to hear not what you want".

Kind of a tonal contradiction. Name sounds loose but the podcast has more of a no nonsense vibe.

I listened to it and it on my lunch break and it was a great episode.

I loved the fact that got some new intel from Tony without putting him in tough/awkward spots. It felt very respecting and it was obvious that you had a proper list of questions/agenda there and werent just shooting from the hip.

My only grief is what Cy said, that I really wanted to learn if that 60-65% deal was something that was maybe left on the backburner or not. It was obviously something we initiated, as it was a left field chase and not someone trying to push us some guy who was dangled out there.

I listened to it and it on my lunch break and it was a great episode.

I loved the fact that got some new intel from Tony without putting him in tough/awkward spots. It felt very respecting and it was obvious that you had a proper list of questions/agenda there and werent just shooting from the hip.

My only grief is what Cy said, that I really wanted to learn if that 60-65% deal was something that was maybe left on the backburner or not. It was obviously something we initiated, as it was a left field chase and not someone trying to push us some guy who was dangled out there.
There was a lot we didn’t even get to touch on. Definitely will have him on some future episodes and we will be sure to ask him that next time. Thank you for the feedback as always.

You’re right… my mind was racing thinking about who it could be didn’t think to ask that.
That is completely understandable. Thats where I also went after Tony dropped that.

Then when he later in the pod reacted strongly to one of you mentioning KAT possibly being available in the offseason, my first thought was "wait, was he the guy?". Then I realized that it didnt make much sense that Minny had anything but exploratory conversations about him at most. No way that was something that we could have ever closed in the middle of their run.

Also crazy y'all didn't follow up the trade talk by asking if Tony thought they would continue to pursue that player in the off-season.
I think the obvious answer is yes. I also didn’t want to push the boundaries since it’s our first conversation. Trust me I had like ten follow ups but thought it better to let that nugget exist on its own.

Tony was so cool I didn’t want to attempt to cross lines. Gotta ease into things. Was honestly fairly surprised he shared it with us.

The podcast name is "Jackpotting Around" but the intro says "podcast that tells you what you need to hear not what you want".

Kind of a tonal contradiction. Name sounds loose but the podcast has more of a no nonsense vibe.
I actually had a text exchange with @Elizah Huge about this. Originally it was supposed to be tongue in cheek the first time I said it and it didn’t hit what I was going for really at all partly for the reasons mentioned. He’s gotten some positive feedback on it… we are definitely still tinkering.

Hmm good point.
Though I take it more as jackpotting around by having fun, not taking things too seriously, but also being objective and realistic along the way.
IMO it works, connotes balance.
Anyway the product is very good. Really nice talks.
Looking forward to listening to the Tony one later today.

Pretty awesome that you guys have gotten to this point already. Really amazing work, and I appreciate what you are doing. Having Andy and Tony on is a crazy good start to a podcast. I would have loved for a deeper dive, but I know there is a balance between pushing/making your guest comfortable and I suppose as a fan podcast it's more important to make the guest comfortable. I always appreciate listening to Tony's opinions on basketball. Even if I don't agree with them, he makes good points.

I thought the very end of the Pod was the best part when he answered what his life is like during trade deadline time. It sounds like the, "work" he describes in the first of the pod is relationship building, and then the news breaking becomes the result of that, "work" where people within the organization will use him to break news vs others. At least that's what I took from him sitting by his phone waiting for calls/texts vs trying to pull information.

One recommendation I would have, and take it for what it's worth, but I think how you are interacting with each other is still a little clunky. There were times where you didn't know who was supposed to be talking or asking questions or some awkward pauses and lots of "do you have any more questions?" I think it could flow a lot better if instead of a cohost arrangement you had more of a host/producer arrangement.

Pretty awesome that you guys have gotten to this point already. Really amazing work, and I appreciate what you are doing. Having Andy and Tony on is a crazy good start to a podcast. I would have loved for a deeper dive, but I know there is a balance between pushing/making your guest comfortable and I suppose as a fan podcast it's more important to make the guest comfortable. I always appreciate listening to Tony's opinions on basketball. Even if I don't agree with them, he makes good points.

I thought the very end of the Pod was the best part when he answered what his life is like during trade deadline time. It sounds like the, "work" he describes in the first of the pod is relationship building, and then the news breaking becomes the result of that, "work" where people within the organization will use him to break news vs others. At least that's what I took from him sitting by his phone waiting for calls/texts vs trying to pull information.

One recommendation I would have, and take it for what it's worth, but I think how you are interacting with each other is still a little clunky. There were times where you didn't know who was supposed to be talking or asking questions or some awkward pauses and lots of "do you have any more questions?" I think it could flow a lot better if instead of a cohost arrangement you had more of a host/producer arrangement.
As always thank you for the amazing and in depth feedback.

For the last part, it definitely felt a little clunky towards the end there. When there is three guys on the pod together it’s hard to navigate because after one guy talks the other two want to comment on it afterwards. Tony also answered some of our questions we were going to ask through other answers of different questions. We could have went on for hours but we were trying to be mindful of his time and I think HH was just trying to see if there was any last things I wanted to hit on before letting him go.