What's new

Jackpotting Around Podcast: Episode 7 - Who Is The Mystery Man?

Elizah Huge

Respect All, Fear None
Contributor
2024 Award Winner
Episode 7 is live, @Handlogten's Heros and I discuss who the mystery man Tony Jones mentioned the Jazz almost traded for could be plus more! As always we greatly appreciate the support as well as any and all feedback! Let us know what you think. Is there someone we missed? Who do you think it is? Any player that stand out to you after listening?

Spotify:

View: https://open.spotify.com/episode/1dSt8uzi3u6RF8ltPh1OEO?si=LvG0_Uc5SO-Uj0f3R2gnNw

Apple Podcasts:

View: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/jackpotting-around-a-utah-jazz-podcast/id1728148741?i=1000647185858

Also my rant on Team Convey… I don’t get it and it makes my brain hurt.

A bit more on the Hayward thing... there was a question if Hayward would be considered a "buy" move with his age and being an expiring contract, in addition to the question of being better than a starter. Pretend we traded for Hayward and everyone on Twitter is melting down and everyone is tagging Tony about this move because 1. the drama but also 2. he's too old, expiring, not good anymore, etc. What does Tony say? When all of Jazz twitter is down on a Jazz player or acquisition, Tony is more dispassionate. Does Tony say that's a buyers move? Yes. Is it a buyers move? Yes. I mean, despite age, he's still only 33. Pretend it's not Hayward and you go out and grab someone putting up 14.5 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, a steal and only 2 turnovers. If you get a solid all-around player that you can plug in to any lineup, that's a buying move, especially at the time if there was question of pushing for play-offs/play-in.

A bit more on the Hayward thing... there was a question if Hayward would be considered a "buy" move with his age and being an expiring contract, in addition to the question of being better than a starter. Pretend we traded for Hayward and everyone on Twitter is melting down and everyone is tagging Tony about this move because 1. the drama but also 2. he's too old, expiring, not good anymore, etc. What does Tony say? When all of Jazz twitter is down on a Jazz player or acquisition, Tony is more dispassionate. Does Tony say that's a buyers move? Yes. Is it a buyers move? Yes. I mean, despite age, he's still only 33. Pretend it's not Hayward and you go out and grab someone putting up 14.5 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, a steal and only 2 turnovers. If you get a solid all-around player that you can plug in to any lineup, that's a buying move, especially at the time if there was question of pushing for play-offs/play-in.
I don't disagree with what you are saying, but just wanted to mention Hayward has been really bad so far for OKC and looks completely out of place and cooked. He's just coming back from injury and adjusting to a new team, so maybe he starts looking better eventually.

I left the guess who card up... I don't think it was him though as I don't think Tony would consider him better than a starter but less than a star at this point. That is subjective though. Of the top ten or so guys we ended up with... I think he is in the bottom half of the list.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, but just wanted to mention Hayward has been really bad so far for OKC and looks completely out of place and cooked. He's just coming back from injury and adjusting to a new team, so maybe he starts looking better eventually.
I definitely don't think he is cooked. Coming back from injury and joining a new team takes time but if he is healthy then he will help them quite a bit.

I definitely don't think he is cooked. Coming back from injury and joining a new team takes time but if he is healthy then he will help them quite a bit.
I thought it was a good get at the time, and still has that potential. It's just really noticeable when you watch OKC, he sticks out as not fitting in right now.

I thought it was a good get at the time, and still has that potential. It's just really noticeable when you watch OKC, he sticks out as not fitting in right now.
He looked slow at other parts of the season too but was still effective. In that team I’m sure he looks extra cooked. He will have a moment if he can stay healthy.

His injury was a soft tissue thingy in the lower leg and they usually take forever to heal. OKC might be viewing him as a playoff piece when he shakes off the rust.

Anyway, good Pod, you continue to feel more comfortable and natural. I can't believe Elizah Huge brought up both Marcus Smart and WCJ who are both on my non Jazz homer list.

Anyway, good Pod, you continue to feel more comfortable and natural. I can't believe Elizah Huge brought up both Marcus Smart and WCJ who are both on my non Jazz homer list.
He desperately wants to recreate the Boylen Bulls.

I'm not Team Convey, but removing all emotion from it (I'm a draft guy, so obviously I like the enjoyment factor out of having a lottery pick vs not having one), conveying is probably the best move.

The rough thing is just now that conveying is like probably the 11th pick, which would suck, but still I'm not entirely certain that it isnt a better outcome than having the 10th pick.

And of course no one really knows draft quality until the players play, declare, and workout, but this year's draft does blow in terms of high quality talent.

Next year might not be as good as advertised, or maybe only the top 2-3 guys are actually legit, but you get to have 3 guaranteed picks in a draft everyone at least perceives to be strong AF. It would significantly boost Utah's trade asset profile at the very least.

I'm not Team Convey, but removing all emotion from it (I'm a draft guy, so obviously I like the enjoyment factor out of having a lottery pick vs not having one), conveying is probably the best move.

The rough thing is just now that conveying is like probably the 11th pick, which would suck, but still I'm not entirely certain that it isnt a better outcome than having the 10th pick.
If we kept the pick this year we have a #9/10 pick or a top 4 pick. If we keep the pick this year what is the most likely outcome for next year and where this pick would land?

I think we likely make some win-now moves this offseason and the pick conveys next year. Somewhere in the 12-18 range depending on how we do in the play-in. I'm just not sure that's a terrible outcome. They could also pull the plug for the 3rd consecutive season or maybe go full tank.

But say the injury bug strikes... and we land bottom 10 no matter what we did... would you rather have a top 10 prospect you are developing during the season? You are now hopefully stacking multiple years of adding good young contributors and can still hit the "upside" of a good draft.

The pick swap hitting in a big way is the only potentially catastrophic result of not conveying. The chances of that are really low imo.

The Jazz management team already voted. If they were strongly Team Convey I think you definitely hold on to Simone. You aren't trying to force the young guys into the rotation. There is some value to them in retaining and kicking the can down the road. If they pick does convey I don't think they will cry but I think the preference is to have the pick.

The Jazz management team already voted. If they were strongly Team Convey I think you definitely hold on to Simone. You aren't trying to force the young guys into the rotation. There is some value to them in retaining and kicking the can down the road. If they pick does convey I don't think they will cry but I think the preference is to have the pick.
We will only truly see what team they are on in the last 10 or so games. Is Lauri/Sexton playing? Are we playing guys like Kira Lewis?

We will only truly see what team they are on in the last 10 or so games. Is Lauri/Sexton playing? Are we playing guys like Kira Lewis?
Nah they voted already.

Another key point imo is the top 10 pick this year has a better chance at maybe being ready to perform in Lauri's window than someone we draft a year or two from now. Like there is a time value of money type equation to be done here with kicking the can down the road.

Nah they voted already.

Another key point imo is the top 10 pick this year has a better chance at maybe being ready to perform in Lauri's window than someone we draft a year or two from now. Like there is a time value of money type equation to be done here with kicking the can down the road.
I mean, the trade was also about opening up minutes for rookies, getting off expiring contracts for guaranteed return and getting guaranteed picks in the draft. We won't truly see how much of that trade was aimed at losing games until they are really against the wall and have to make a tough choice of how desperate they are to lose those games.

If losing games was such a priority, you would have seen a Kris Dunn trade.

I mean, the trade was also about opening up minutes for rookies, getting off expiring contracts for guaranteed return and getting guaranteed picks in the draft. We won't truly see how much of that trade was aimed at losing games until they are really against the wall and have to make a tough choice of how desperate they are to lose those games.

If losing games was such a priority, you would have seen a Kris Dunn trade.
So what I mean is they voted that they are not Team Convey. Team Convey seems to think we NEED to convey the pick next year or we can't draft Cooper Flagg or some ****. If the FO felt we NEEDED to convey then they would have kept Simone and/or KO. I think the FO is on team "if the young guys play well enough we keep the pick great, but if not then we get a top 10 pick so cool"

They may not be team keep the pick... but they definitely aren't team convey.