What's new

Jackpotting Around Podcast: Episode 7 - Who Is The Mystery Man?

I love how literally every single case of Ainge supposedly trying to improve the team and going into buyer mode this season has been just a rumor with zero evidence.

I would think that's a star but its highly subjective. I would probably flip that card down because of that but I'd put the name aside to revisit if I got more evidence.
That's what I wonder from him, what's a star to him. To me a star is well above just someone who's made the all star game even a few times. Minimum to me it's someone who's all NBA. I would say there are only a handful of stars in the NBA.

Or the year is 2026. We have not conveyed the pick yet. Minnesota sucks *** and looks like a bottom 4 team. Meanwhile we are dominating the league and would be sending OKC the 30th pick cuz we are so effing awesome... would OKC be so kind as to give us our pick back if we give them the lakers pick in 2027. Remember they would get the 30th pick... cuz we will be so awesome. What else would they require to help us avert disaster?

There are other ways to resolve this without paying the piper this year.
I'm not sure how the actual rules of the swap is, but what realgm writes is:
realgm said:
2026 first round draft pick from Minnesota or Cleveland (Utah outgoing to Minnesota or Cleveland)
Utah will receive the most favorable of its 2026 1st round pick, protected for selections 9-30 if Utah has not conveyed a 1st round pick to Oklahoma City by 2025, Minnesota's 2026 1st round pick and Cleveland's 2026 1st round pick; Minnesota will receive the less favorable of its pick and the Utah pick if conveyable; Cleveland will receive the less favorable of (i) its pick and (ii) the more favorable of the Minnesota pick and the Utah pick if conveyable; if the Utah pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyable, then Minnesota's and Cleveland's obligations to Utah will be extinguished (via Utah's right to swap for Minnesota; via Utah's right to swap Utah or Minnesota for Cleveland) [Minnesota-Utah, 7/6/2022; Cleveland-Utah, 9/3/2022]

If this is the actual wording, I don't think we *can* get out of it, since the protection is part of the deal also with MIN and CLE. It probably isn't, though, and we get the swap given that we have a pick to trade, but it's a bit unclear to me. Would be nice to know for sure.

This is what I mean. Since the majority of fans support it, one of you should probably be able to argue for it and not just call the majority of fans dumb even if you disagree with it.
We will have disagreements but I’m not gonna fake it. We may have to bring a pro convey person on but I’m afraid I’d just skewer them.

We had disagreements on some things like John Collins and some draft prospects. I’m gonna call em as I see em even if half the fan base is on the other side. We maybe should present the other side more carefully I just don’t think they have much to stand on.

I do think disagreement will come at points but it’s a harder thing to do… we are still 101 level. Healthy debate might be 201.

That's what I wonder from him, what's a star to him. To me a star is well above just someone who's made the all star game even a few times. Minimum to me it's someone who's all NBA. I would say there are only a handful of stars in the NBA.
Yeah and not to put words in his mouth.... I think a guy that is all-star worthy or has made an all-star game is maybe what he's referring to. There is also "plus-starter" or "borderline all-star" where it gets really subjective.

I'm not sure how the actual rules of the swap is, but what realgm writes is:

If this is the actual wording, I don't think we *can* get out of it, since the protection is part of the deal also with MIN and CLE. It probably isn't, though, and we get the swap given that we have a pick to trade, but it's a bit unclear to me. Would be nice to know for sure.
May have to resolve it in 2025 then but I'm not sure RealGM is like the official contractual language and that may be how they worded or interpreted the swap and protections. Some of this stuff is uncharted territory. This is a good get... thanks for sharing.

May have to resolve it in 2025 then but I'm not sure RealGM is like the official contractual language and that may be how they worded or interpreted the swap and protections. Some of this stuff is uncharted territory. This is a good get... thanks for sharing.
Would be nice to know how it really works, for sure. Would also be interesting to know if the actual legal language of trade clauses like that is available to anyone (e.g. RealGM), or if it's under lock and key.

Would be nice to know how it really works, for sure. Would also be interesting to know if the actual legal language of trade clauses like that is available to anyone (e.g. RealGM), or if it's under lock and key.
And if we play it out.... we don't convey this year or next... we have a top 10 pick each year and we have a chance 15-20%+ at drafting top 4 in each draft. We'd also be able on draft night 2025 to credibly threaten OKC that we will just tank 2026 too (fans are already pissed so what's one more year) maybe they accept one of our 2025 picks from Minny or Cleveland with some sort of other considerations to amend the responsibility.

If I had to guess how this ends though. We keep the pick this year. This summer we extend Lauri and make a few win-now or fit moves. Next year assuming decent health we end up as like the 8th or 9th seed and give the 14th or 15th pick to OKC. I don't think 9 this year (with 20% chance at top 4) is worse than 14 or 15 next year... and that prospect or whatever we trade that pick for will provide value sooner (which we need if we are trying to win on Lauri's timeline).

You guys are getting better and it was enjoyable.

My only complaint would be y'all are too agreeable with each other.
Couldn't agree more. Yep. Uh-huh.

Oh wait....

I guess the term "star" is subjective here and I have an unpopular view. I view a star as a clear top 10-15 player that immediately makes you a contender for at least a Conference final if not championship. For example, I do not think of Lauri as a star, merely a well above average starter that is likely around the 25-30th best player in the league like Ingram or Bridges. I will take my beatings for speaking such blasphemy now.

Understand it won't happen every game, especially on a weekend. But as a positive for engagement, you already have me checking for a quickie for a game I mostly missed