What's new

Jackpotting Around Podcast: Episode 8 - To Convey Or Not To Convey and Let’s Start A Discussion About Collin Sexton

Elizah Huge

Respect All, Fear None
Contributor
2024 Award Winner
As always I am joined by @Handlogten's Heros and we discuss every avenue and argument of conveying the pick to OKC vs keeping the pick. We have a lengthy discussion about Collin Sexton and how insanely well he’s been playing. Thank you for your support! Any and all feedback is always welcome!

Spotify:

View: https://open.spotify.com/episode/72IxLifsIPYMkcOo6ktUAt?si=SG-khOevRsmRSG97fVqJ5w

Apple Podcasts:

View: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/jackpotting-around-a-utah-jazz-podcast/id1728148741?i=1000648088785

I don’t even necessarily disagree with yall takes…but it is a tougher listen when you two agree on everything without any pushback. If you guys happen to agree on everything, I would suggest a little more devil’s advocate kind of discussion. Without it, it just comes off as too dismissive of other opinions and doesn’t demonstrate that you have really gone through the pros/cons.

Also, was completely disappointed in @Handlogten's Heros for not following through with the Bilal trash talk. I really thought that was what my shout out was going to be lmao.

I don’t even necessarily disagree with yall takes…but it is a tougher listen when you two agree on everything without any pushback. If you guys happen to agree on everything, I would suggest a little more devil’s advocate kind of discussion. Without it, it just comes off as too dismissive of other opinions and doesn’t demonstrate that you have really gone through the pros/cons.

Also, was completely disappointed in @Handlogten's Heros for not following through with the Bilal trash talk. I really thought that was what my shout out was going to be lmao.
Hey I went to twitter with Team Convey and challenged all of their collective pride... no one was willing to step up and say it with their chest.

I think we will have some disagreements naturally. IDK.

Why don't we talk about conveying/not conveying in terms of what happens if the exact same thing happens again?

The Jazz could easily be the 11th worst team next year.

I get knowing the strength of a draft isn't something you can accurately predict a year out, but given the weakness of the freshman this year, I would take the dice roll of taking the 11th pick in next year's draft vs the 10th in this year's.

The draft conversation (regarding strength) was so reductive and bad imo.
Okay. Was trying to think of hyped up drafts and then went and compared with bad drafts. Its hard to predict draft quality between 8-14 historically. That is where we'd be drafting this year and next (presumably). I've heard some wild stuff like the prospects in the 20s will be much better than the prospects in the late lotto and it has zero historical precedence.

Why don't we talk about conveying/not conveying in terms of what happens if the exact same thing happens again?

The Jazz could easily be the 11th worst team next year.

I get knowing the strength of a draft isn't something you can accurately predict a year out, but given the weakness of the freshman this year, I would take the dice roll of taking the 11th pick in next year's draft vs the 10th in this year's.
We talked about this last time... you think if the draft is that much better and we are trending towards the 11th pick we won't make sure we drop below top 10.

Also, you think we will be worse or better next year? If we add a top 10 pick and force them into playing we might be worse. If we trade that pick for a good fitting vet on draft night we might be quite a bit better... so its the 15th or higher pick.

There is a chance we end up exactly at 11... sure. But even then what would be the gain in drafting 11 next year instead of 9 this year. Minimal at best. What if we gave away a top 10 pick and guys get hurt and we suck again naturally? The risk to reward just isn't there.

Hey I went to twitter with Team Convey and challenged all of their collective pride... no one was willing to step up and say it with their chest.

I think we will have some disagreements naturally. IDK.

I don't think you need a champion for the other side....just need to show that you've actually given the other side fair consideration. I feel like the reason why Zach Lowe became so adored is that he often spent more time writing/talking about why he might be wrong than why he's right. It's why his content is more compelling than your standard internet argument. I don't actually think your opinions are shallow, but it comes off that way when there is zero pushback.

Having said that....Jazz twitter is full of animals. So there's no time for nuance with that lol.

And if the preference is more an apathetic thing then I'm okay with that. Its the weird narrative on twitter of "we must force the pick to convey or we have to tank or trade Lauri or we will miss out on Cooper Flagg" that I have an issue with. Like what?

And yes... I was seeing a lot of it from some people with decent followings.

I don't think you need a champion for the other side....just need to show that you've actually given the other side fair consideration. I feel like the reason why Zach Lowe became so adored is that he often spent more time writing/talking about why he might be wrong than why he's right. It's why his content is more compelling than your standard internet argument. I don't actually think your opinions are shallow, but it comes off that way when there is zero pushback.

Having said that....Jazz twitter is full of animals. So there's no time for nuance with that lol.
And that is part of the reason I was looking for a champion is because I am not good at that yet... or with things I feel strongly about.

Wait until I have to fight @Elizah Huge and @Saint Cy of JFC on Flip. It will be all the confrontation you need.

It is a valid criticism for sure though. Definitely didn't want to dismiss it if that's how it came off.

I personally need to work on getting in that mindset of the opposite side of the argument. It’s not easy to do right away and I do understand the criticisms of us agreeing on everything and think they are valid. I will work on it.

The draft conversation (regarding strength) was so reductive and bad imo.
There are people saying they’d rather have pick 15 in 2025 over pick 9 in 2024 so I think we wanted to kind of say that has never been true ever in the history of the league.