What's new

Jackpotting Around Podcast: Episode 8 - To Convey Or Not To Convey and Let’s Start A Discussion About Collin Sexton

I would also love to know examples of Sexton deals that people think would be worth it. If you really think he gets moved this offseason then by all means throw some examples of good deals out.

Yeah....I mention this when people say we can't draft someone bc of Keyonte, but it's kind of the same thing with Sexton. If Key and Sexton are both so good that they must be the starter and cannot be a 6th man, that's a good spot to be in. I think you are more prone to mistakes when trying to put the puzzle pieces together so soon. Probably would not put capitalizing peak trade value for Sexton on my list of priorities either.

Honestly, I think the most important thing right now is to dump Clarkson. He doesn't really help us accomplish anything. At best he's the tank commander, but I think we would be in a better position with Key/Sexton/Dunn in a guard rotation with maybe another young player sprinkled in. Key and Sexton both get real starter minutes, stagger if you want. It puts them in the best position to develop/improve trade value. If you look at playing time as a resource, JC is an all time gas guzzler.
Right there with you.

I'm not feeling all the love for Key at the moment. Yes he is an offensive talent, but at times he is horrible on D. Also the Jazz have shown signs of life when he's been sick or injured. I know all about the difference in causation and correlation. If Hardy had been as hard on him as he has been on Sexton I fear we would have a mess on our hands. I'm getting some of the same vibes from Key that Ochai gave us last season. I hope I'm wrong.

I do feel like we need to "get good" before we worry too much about this stuff. Having both Key/Sexton may prevent us from reaching the highest levels, but probably not enough from allowing us to get good. You may be creating a problem that you don't have.
Key/Sexton together may prevent you from reaching any higher than the play in.

I would also love to know examples of Sexton deals that people think would be worth it. If you really think he gets moved this offseason then by all means throw some examples of good deals out.
So you simultaneously think Sexton is actually an incredible player playing at an all star level yet there are no possible deals out there for him that would be good?

So you simultaneously think Sexton is actually an incredible player playing at an all star level yet there are no possible deals out there for him that would be good?
Is that what I said? It is not.

As I have said since before the trade deadline I think Sexton should have more value to us than he would in a trade. Trade value is a funny thing and there are lots of factors that would go into it. So I am genuinely curious for those that think he should or will be moved what you think the return would look like.

Is that what I said? It is not.

As I have said since before the trade deadline I think Sexton should have more value to us than he would in a trade. Trade value is a funny thing and there are lots of factors that would go into it. So I am genuinely curious for those that think he should or will be moved what you think the return would look like.
Well first I'm curious as to what factors hurt Sextons trade value.

As you said he's having a year where his offensive stats are just as good as any all star. He's on a very cheap deal for two more full seasons. So what are these funny factors?

You know what's funny?

John Collins had a similar outlier offensive season. I wonder if the Hawks wish they dealt an obvious hard to build around piece at high value or if the wait and see method worked for them.

You know what's funny?

John Collins had a similar outlier offensive season. I wonder if the Hawks wish they dealt an obvious hard to build around piece at high value or if the wait and see method worked for them.
The outlier season for Sexton was the one in which he played a total of 11 games
All of his other seasons he has been great

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

At least Collins you had some believable upside due to his size and athleticism to play the 4 at a high level (and the NBA hadn't fully realized his archetype at the 4 wasn't good).

We know the undersized 2 guard is not a good archetype to follow for a main piece of your team. Don't follow the fools gold too hard.

Well first I'm curious as to what factors hurt Sextons trade value.

As you said he's having a year where his offensive stats are just as good as any all star. He's on a very cheap deal for two more full seasons. So what are these funny factors?
The obvious stuff. Won't have as wide of a market as Lauri because he's not a universal fit. He has been doing this for a season so some may want a bigger sample. Trade value may get ahead of where some players are really at as a player or trail by a ways until they've proven it over a longer sample. Players reputations also factor in... its not some gotcha. I very clearly think Sexton is more valuable to us with our situation than he would be on the market. Would love some examples of these deals you think would be fair. I'm guessing you have none you really want to put out there since you are stalling.

He did not have an outlier offensive season lol. Years 2-4.
Also, imagine thinking the Hawks weren't out there trying to trade John Collins. Dude was on the market when he was in Junior High.