What's new

Game Thread Jan 01, 2024 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Mavericks

Added to Calendar: 01-01-24

We have a brutal 4 game stretch coming up where if we win even one of the games it will be a success. At that point it might feel a lot different. We follow that up with 4 very winnable games.

I'm predicting a rollercoaster of playoff push/tank the season/playoff push in our near JFC future.
I think this is where we see what DA’s intentions are. If he does stuff like spins off KO for seconds or if we stand pat through the trade deadline it will say a lot about what we aimed to do this year and where his priorities are.

Our uniforms are obviously pretty bad, but nothing has ever screamed "we need a full art/brand reboot" like those Mavs uniforms.

I think this is where we see what DA’s intentions are. If he does stuff like spins off KO for seconds or if we stand pat through the trade deadline it will say a lot about what we aimed to do this year and where his priorities are.
Mostly I'm just waiting for the deadline to see what we're doing. Last year we could have gone either way but obviously switched to tank and even that struggled until we shut down most the roster.

We have a lot of options this year as well. I don't think anyone knows which way we go, maybe even the FO. I get the feeling they are pretty flexible depending on what comes around. I hope we make some roster balance/consolidation moves but stay competitive unless there is a bigger trade to go after. I would not be opposed to clearing out some vets to get playing time for some younger guys if we get good assets, but then we need to really start using the assets next year to improve. We can't use all these picks for players and some of them lose value the closer they get if teams are playing well.

Everyone crying for bad fits being the source of our bad play should reflect a bit on that now.

All we needed was stability and more consistent quality on the guard play that we didnt have early season when JC/Sexton/THT took turns in spazzing into the paint and turning it over or taking stupid shots. Our half-court offense has been so much better balanced now that we have stopped trying to force the issue. Sexton and Dunn have been really consistent as of late, but against the Mavs it was Keyonte and Jordan who played great.

The main source of improvement has been the defense though, and the fact that they have learned how to rotate in the zone and also to not overcommit on help defense which caused too many unnecessary rotations and gave up wide open 3s especially in the corners.
I mean, the bad fits still stand. Jazz just got a great coach (shocker, I know a lot of people loved to bitch about him this year because he wasnt playing their favorite player as much as they thought they should). Also helps when someone like Simone steps forward because you go from having a team with basically no wing options to having an actual wing who is at least somewhat dynamic (there's also Ochai, but offensively he's absolutely not dynamic)

And I still think it's more offense leading to defense than the other way around. The Jazz arent constantly turning it over or constantly taking bad shots, so they are able to setup the D on the other end. I just never believed Utah was that bad on D. It looked more like a team that was so down on their offense that it was bleeding over to the defense.

Also helps that Hardy has seemingly settled on rotations that help make the Jazz a bit more unique and harder to guard. We arent starting Walker anymore which has been great. Jazz are just too easy to guard with Walker out there. Jazz become a team that is tricky to matchup with, then they are able to bring Walker off the bench where his rim protection can have a higher impact against more mixed lineups. Also let's you play Kris Dunn and have him be effective in a more 5 out lineups w/o Walker.

I would be pretty shocked if we traded anyone just for 2nd rounders unless we really had no intention of keeping them around. I can definitely see Utah wanting to re-sign KO, so I doubt we just give him up for 2nds.

The only player I see being given up for straight 2nd round type compensation is probably THT at this point.

I am surprised with CY. Have you turned a corner? This is probably the first time ever I find myself in agreement with what you are saying.