What's new

Game Thread Jan 01, 2024 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Mavericks

Added to Calendar: 01-01-24

51% from the field.
Only 12 turnovers. Seems like our turnovers have been so so much better lately.
Is that the Dunn effect? THT riding pine?

Sent from my OPD2203 using Tapatalk

Did he make that comment while we were losing a lot?
Don't trust it

Sent from my OPD2203 using Tapatalk
No he made that comment before the start of last season. It was something like "2023 is better than 2022, but I dont know where it ranks historically, but I think 2024 might be even better".

People in this board have taken that out of context a lot of different ways. It was a very casual type of answer in the media day before preseason last year, when the general assumption was that we are gonna be among the worst teams in the NBA for a long time. It was quoted by Larsen et al because it was a curious thing to say when everyone was hyping 2023 draft.

Now people act like Zanik said it as well and also that its some indication that this next draft was somehow DA's target.....

Last season we started 10-3 and this season we started 4-11. Yet, we are close to catching up on last seasons record, while trending in a completely different direction. I think we are gonna convey the pick.

My analysis for the game:
  • Thank you Jordan Clarkson
  • WILD that we blew out a team when shooting 27% from 3. That would have never happened last year, and goes to show how much better we are right now.
  • No one even mentions here that we held Dallas to 90 points. NINETY. Yeah they didnt shoot great, but we didnt give them anything for free either. We switched with Luka and whoever they decided to target on did their job. Collins was great when they targeted him early, and Kessler played at the perfect distance to be able to distract his 3P shot while not giving up lanes. Sexton was also jumping in front of him at times like an Energizer bunny. Lauri pushed him to drive but contested the fadeaways well making them tough, and we didnt overfoul him.
  • Lauri at 4 makes him much more passive on offense, but I wonder if its still best for the team as Fontecchio is playing great at 3.
Too many guys to credit and no one to really call out in such a great team win.

Btw, this was Mavs biggest margin of defeat this season, and only the Clippers have held them to under 100 points in a game where Luka played. And in that game Luka and Kyrie combined for 56 points while we held that duo to just 33.
Great info

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Btw, this was Mavs biggest margin of defeat this season, and only the Clippers have held them to under 100 points in a game where Luka played. And in that game Luka and Kyrie combined for 56 points while we held that duo to just 33.
To be fair to then it was Kyries first game back and the ref of their guts are pretty banged up atm

It is nice to see that, after all of this time, the Jazz have finally solved their small ball defensive issues. Dallas rolled that crap out on us and we stuffed it into the bleachers.

Crazy that the play in is now very realistic with how the Lakers and Warriors are stumbling.

We have a brutal 4 game stretch coming up where if we win even one of the games it will be a success. At that point it might feel a lot different. We follow that up with 4 very winnable games.

I'm predicting a rollercoaster of playoff push/tank the season/playoff push in our near JFC future.

I feel bad for THT. He was playing really good ball and then gets a minor injury and his completely out of the rotation. At the same time I'm at least glad that Key is continuing to get consistent minutes. It is so much fun to see his potential.

I'm still a THT stan, but I get him not playing.

Right now everything is just running smoothly and THT would probably disrupt that. He is definitely better than Kris Dunn overall, but Dunn is playing his Dunn-Ball effectively

I dont think we are winning because THT sat out. I think we would probably be better if THT played (I mean, he has been one of the better +/- players consistently for the Jazz all season), but I get not wanting to disrupt the flow when THT is such an unpredictable player. At the end of the day his Utah days are numbered and it doesnt make a ton of sense to work him into a recipe you got cooking.

Everyone crying for bad fits being the source of our bad play should reflect a bit on that now.

All we needed was stability and more consistent quality on the guard play that we didnt have early season when JC/Sexton/THT took turns in spazzing into the paint and turning it over or taking stupid shots. Our half-court offense has been so much better balanced now that we have stopped trying to force the issue. Sexton and Dunn have been really consistent as of late, but against the Mavs it was Keyonte and Jordan who played great.

The main source of improvement has been the defense though, and the fact that they have learned how to rotate in the zone and also to not overcommit on help defense which caused too many unnecessary rotations and gave up wide open 3s especially in the corners.