What's new

Game Thread Jan 05, 2023 06:00PM MT: Jazz at Rockets

Added to Calendar: 01-05-23

Yep. We begging for him to get more touches and what do you know he gets more touches and is blowing up. What a strange concept that you would want your best player who is crazy efficient to get more touches.
Yes the best thing that happened this game was Clarkson focused more on D than I have seen him do in a while, and playmaking (he had 5 assists), and he deferred to Lauri. He missed Lauri a few times on his weird circus drives when he drew 3 defenders and Lauri was wide open at the 3 pt line, but for the most part a chunk of this win was attributable to Clarkson not trying to take over the game and letting our best guy do his work.

Maybe, but Hardy is just generally very demanding of the young guys. I'm sure he also wants to keep everyone engaged so he rotates them a bit if they are start dipping.
You are just making excuses. The dude doesn't have a clue half the time.

Yes the best thing that happened this game was Clarkson focused more on D than I have seen him do in a while, and playmaking (he had 5 assists), and he deferred to Lauri. He missed Lauri a few times on his weird circus drives when he drew 3 defenders and Lauri was wide open at the 3 pt line, but for the most part a chunk of this win was attributable to Clarkson not trying to take over the game and letting our best guy do his work.
I like the lauri/jc PNR combo. Not as fluid as conley/lauri but more lethal offensively.

Random observations

- Sengun getting isolated against Olynyk in the low post was "two Spidermen pointing at each other" stuff.

- Speaking of Sengun.... he's one of those dudes you love to have in the league. Not everyone has to be from the same mold. Sengun has lead feet, alligator arms and the lateral mobility of a tectonic plate. He runs like he needs a hip replacement, can't bend at the waist or jump, and of course... he can't shoot either. Despite all this, he makes you look like a fool 1-on-1, finds passing lanes that don't exist for anyone else, and grabs contested rebounds by... pretty much just standing in the correct place when everyone else is doing the ball-watching pogo stick routine. I wouldn't want Sengun on my team - his limitations are just too severe in the modern NBA - but I love to watch him. Dude is entertaining as hell.

- This was one of those games where Clarkson suddenly looks older than Conley. I fully expected him to be blocked by the rim on that dunk. Still, he had quite a few nice passes (along with the usual boneheaded turnovers where he dribbles into the trees and inevitably falls over).

- Kessler's biggest problem right now is going back up quickly when he gets an offensive rebound or catches a lob pass. He gathers himself so slowly, I thought I was watching a slo-mo replay at times.

- Rudy Gay's close outs are an insult to the game of basketball. Apparently keeping his hands up is just too much to ask. Time to cut ties with this guy. If he can't exist on the roster without throwing tantrums when he rightfully doesn't get minutes (as was implied in a recent article), we need to waive his ***.

- Oh yeah, Lauri scored 49 without breaking much of a sweat. It helps that he never misses from the FT line anymore. What is it now, 40+ in a row?

- The second Vando pulled off that behind the back, no-look pass to Lauri, I ****ing KNEW he'd try it again. And he did.

Last edited:
I don't want to get too worked up about beating the Rockets. As somebody already pointed out they look like a team that just literally met 5 minutes before tipoff. They don't run an NBA offense or defense. Jalen Green has a real chance to be a star in this guard league but the Rockets are doing him no favors with the rest of that roster.

Obviously another nice game by our soon to be all star. His 3 pt shot % has declined but he's getting to the FT line at an elite level.

Happy that Agbaji finally got a few meaningful minutes and he produced. His athleticism, physicality was a boost and the 3 ball was falling from that corner. This is the kind of contribution he should be able to make. Time to send Gay out to pasture. If he can consistently hit 3's it might even make Beasley expendable tbh. Agbaji is just a more athletic player who might offer a bit more on the defensive end too.

Good to see that KO's minutes were limited last night.

NAW got nailed back to the bench again. It's just a weird thing where the Jazz have a ton of 6'-5" players on their bench and they all seem to have some warts. THT is probably the best passer but then he gets out of control on some drives where he needs to be dishing. Then he settles for bad step back 3's with 15 seconds left on the clock and Hardy benches him. NAW can heat up and then goes thru spells where he starts to miss shots and goes invisible. Beasley can get insanely hot with the 3 ball for a game and then get ice cold for another 1-2 games. Ochai brought the spark in the 4th quarter last night with his shooting and some physical/athletic play. Can he do it on a consistent basis? Seems like the Jazz are trying them all out but hope they can settle on 1-2 of them for the future. It has to be a little unnerving for these guys to know they are constantly auditioning and will likely get sent to the doghouse for a few games if they make a mistake or two. I know I'd probably be looking over my shoulder a bit tbh.

Ya im curious who those people were. I mean Markennen has been playing like an all star pretty much all season long.
If we didn't get markennen in the trade or if we would have traded with the knicks instead of cleveland then we would probably be right at the bottom of the standings. He has carried this team.
I cant believe you dont remember about me ranting about JC and posting those touch and FGA numbers (esp. 4th quarter).

I swear there was a 10 game stretch where I did it like 8 times. I started it right around Conley injury.

Exactly. beeing a fan does not mean not beeing realistic. We are not good enough and better accept the fact. It does not mean that i enjoy seeing the loss. Actually i skip to look the last 4 or 5 games ( as i will do today) and look only the play by play and box score from office. I'm okay with a win but the best interest for the team now is to loose and get a decent chance for high pick.
See this is the problem the Jazz front office has , with a rookie head coach, a ton of very hungry young players, a group of win now vets, and a ton of draft assets in the form of other teams. Minnesota playing good this season would definitely have justified selling off the vets. Minnesota stinking badly, in fact completely killed this front offices interest in tanking this season.
That is unlikely to change even if the Jazz this season continue to ride the tracks right between playoffs and late lottery. I expect the Wolves pick at this point a top 10 lock and the Jazz pick absolutely won't be in the top 10 unless they shoot up from the late lottery into the top 4 spots via the drawing after losing a play in game and missing the post season

I cant believe you dont remember about me ranting about JC and posting those touch and FGA numbers (esp. 4th quarter).

I swear there was a 10 game stretch where I did it like 8 times. I started it right around Conley injury.
Sounds like you were ranting about JC from your post. The conversation I was involved in was discussing people being critical of coach hardy for not utilizing/developing Markennen. I dont remember people saying hardy is holding markennen back or is the reason markennen isn't a better player. Do you?

Anyone else have anxiety now anytime Lauri shoots FT's?

I just dont want the streak to stop.

38 more and he passes Steph Curry for 5th most consecutive FTs in a row. 55 more to pass MJ for most all time.
I don’t think there is anything more stress inducing than going to the line in the closing seconds of a game to shoot three with a three point deficit. Records are nice I guess but after successfully completing that play in consecutive games, I’m already convinced that he’s as fundamentally sound and clutch as they come.

Last edited:
By the way, I hope all the tankers take a long, hard look at this Houston team and their "crowd". Just pure apathy. Nobody gives a **** about this season. Just boneheaded young players going 1-on-1.

Awful.
right, this is why it won't happen here. The ownership cannot afford it. Most teams that are in smaller markets that tank have owners that are willing to spend for the future even with major losses at the boxoffice. I doubt this ownership can or would if they could. Got to put a semi decent roster on the court to keep irrationally hopeful fans spending bucks, even if the correct move would be to have an empty arena for a couple seasons. The rockets are still real early intheir rebuild though and I doubt that front office has much more rope if they dont land a top 2 player to fill the seats again

Sounds like you were ranting about JC from your post. The conversation I was involved in was discussing people being critical of coach hardy for not utilizing/developing Markennen. I dont remember people saying hardy is holding markennen back or is the reason markennen isn't a better player. Do you?
No. I might have said on few posts that Hardy needs to put JC in his place and tell the guys to funnel the ball to Lauri.. but I never thought Hardy was mismanaging Lauri in any ways. It was more about the ballhandlers not being aware of our best player, where he was and what he was doing.

I think right from the start Hardy knew what he had. He moved Lauri around 3/4/5 and tested various types of called plays featuring him. Also gave him a free role off-ball pretty early on... allowing him to move all over the field.

Also I never hated or disliked JC. Just the fact that he acted like our #1 option which I thought he wasnt.