What's new

Game Thread Jan 05, 2024 05:00PM MT: Jazz at Celtics

Added to Calendar: 01-05-24

What in my post was like that? A lot of people seemed to agree with me. Maybe try being less hostile?

Also, and this is just a friendly suggestion, maybe try opening your eyes when you watch basketball.
Well for starters I didnt break down the game or detail why we lost, except for the fact that we shot poorly.

Are you disagreeing with that?

Why would I break down a game that lasted maybe 10 minutes. I just decided to bring out the fact that to beat a team like Celtics we need a lot of things going our way, and the Lauri assists which was the only positive I found really.

Well for starters I didnt break down the game or detail why we lost, except for the fact that we shot poorly.

Are you disagreeing with that?

Why would I break down a game that lasted maybe 10 minutes. I just decided to bring out the fact that to beat a team like Celtics we need a lot of things going our way, and the Lauri assists which was the only positive I found really.
I'm disagreeing that shot making was the main difference in the game. The Jazz come out soft and timid on the road. That's why they lost.

Learn to read:

Eh, you're still wrong. The Jazz lost the game in the first 6 minutes. Boston is obviously the better team, but not THAT much better. The Jazz is still an NBA team, and if they all played with the same confidence as Sexton, the game would've been competitive. Instead, they drove slowly into the paint, looking unsure as what to do, before putting up weak floaters that got stuffed or missed by a mile. Or they would pass the ball aimlessly once or twice around the perimeter, like the ball is hot potato, before jacking up a poor contested shot.

Eh, you're still wrong. The Jazz lost the game in the first 6 minutes. Boston is obviously the better team, but not THAT much better. The Jazz is still an NBA team, and if they all played with the same confidence as Sexton, the game would've been competitive. Instead, they drove slowly into the paint, looking unsure as what to do, before putting up weak floaters that got stuffed or missed by a mile. Or they would pass the ball aimlessly once or twice around the perimeter, like the ball is hot potato, before jacking up a poor contested shot.

You know, you can't jackpot around and get better.

–Jerry Sloan​

I'm disagreeing that shot making was the main difference in the game. The Jazz come out soft and timid on the road. That's why they lost.
Eh if they come out soft and timid on the road and shoot 60% from three and 60% from the field then I think it's possible to win a road game.

If they come out super brave and hard as diamonds and shoot 30% from the field and 12% from three then I think we would likely lose that game.

In this game we came out soft and timid and shot horribly.

Sexton didn't miss an easy layup where he wasn't touched because he was soft and timid. Simone didn't miss an easy layup where he wasn't touched because he was soft and timid. Lauri didn't get swatted on a dunk attempt because he was soft and timid. KO didn't airball an open three because he was soft and timid.

More than one thing can contribute to a loss imo.
And multiple things can contribute somewhat equally to a loss.
Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

if they all played with the same confidence as Sexton, the game would've been competitive.

Serious question here.
If they all played with the same confidence as sexton but shot 15% from three and 30% from the field and Boston was shooting 60% from three and from the field do you still think we would have been competitive?

Serious question here.
If they all played with the same confidence as sexton but shot 15% from three and 30% from the field and Boston was shooting 60% from three and from the field do you still think we would have been competitive?

They wouldn’t have shot that bad.

They wouldn’t have shot that bad.
Why not?
Is it possible to play hard and still miss a shot?

I saw Simone hustle his *** off to get an offense rebound and easy putback. Rimmed out. I saw sexton with a blow by and go hard at the rim for an untouched layup. Rolled off the rim. I saw Lauri go hard and try to dunk a dude through the hoop. Got stuffed.

Imo you can play really really hard and still go cold.

I played a lot of ball. Had it happen plenty of times.
There is are even phrases for it. Lid on the hoop. Can't throw it in the ocean. Etc.

Why not?

I saw Simone hustle his *** off to get an offense rebound and easy putback. Rimmed out. I saw sexton with a blow by and go hard at the rim for an untouched layup. Rolled off the rim. I saw Lauri go hard and try to dunk a dude through the hoop. Got stuffed.

There is are even phrases for it. Lid on the hoop. Can't throw it in the ocean. Etc.

If you can’t see with your own eyes that there was more issues last night than just missing shots I don’t know what to tell you. The effort last night was terrible.

Serious question here.

They shot that low because of how they were playing. They were NOT producing good shots. They were not running plays to create good opportunities for themselves. They took awful shots and came in looking like they've already conceded the game.

Why not?

In a hypothetical game where they played hard and with confidence, but shot poorly, then yes, sure. They would still lose. But that wasn't last night's game.

If you can’t see with your own eyes that there was more issues last night than just missing shots I don’t know what to tell you. The effort last night was terrible.
If you can't see in my post that I days the jazz played soft and timid and also shot horribly and both things contributed to the loss then I doubt know what to tell you.

They shot that low because of how they were playing. They were NOT producing good shots. They were not running plays to create good opportunities for themselves. They took awful shots and came in looking like they've already conceded the game.
So you truly think that open and untouched layups and open threes are bad shots? Then we will have to just agree to disagree. Because we missed easy layups right of the bat on that game.

So you truly think that open and untouched layups and open threes are bad shots? Then we will have to just agree to disagree. Because we missed easy layups right of the bat on that game.

We must've been watching a different game.

We must've been watching a different game.
You don't remember sexton missing an easy layup early on? They called a phantom foul on porzingas. Should have been an and one.
Don't remember a fast break early where Simone had an uncontested layup on a putback? Don't remember KO airballing a wide open three?
It doesn't seem like we were watching a different game just seems like you missed some of this one.

You don't remember sexton missing an easy layup early on? They called a phantom foul on porzingas. Should have been an and one.
Don't remember a fast break early where Simone had an uncontested layup on a putback? Don't remember KO airballing a wide open three?
It doesn't seem like we were watching a different game just seems like you missed some of this one.

Like I said, Sexton played hard. I do remember KO's airball. That wasn't a good shot. His feet weren't set, and it wasn't in the flow of the offense. Also, we were down 20 by then.

Just to jog some memories I pulled up the play by play from last night.
First shot attempt for the jazz was an aggressive drive by Dunn on a semi fast break. He was blocked. Simone got the offensive rebound and had an easy putback. Rolled off the rim. Played hard. Didn't score. Both aggressive plays

Next we have Lauri go up hard for a dunk and get blocked by jaylen brown. An aggressive play.

Next play Simone goes to the paint and gets called for a charge. Aggressive play.

Next play Lauri shoots an open three pointer. I guess he shouldn't do that?

Next play Simone misses an attacking layup

Next play kriss Dunn missed a 3 foot shot in the paint.

Next play sexton missed the wide open layup when he got the phantom call.

Then sexton missed a 3. He shouldn't do that I guess?

It's 10-2 at this point with the only points being free throws on the phantom foul.

Next play Lauri has a driving dunk on an assist from Dunn. Aggressive!

Then Sexton makes a driving layup. Aggressive!

Then Simone misses a 3 pointer.

Then Sexton makes a driving layup. More aggression.

Then keyonte and Clarkson enter the game and Clarkson does his turnover thing. Key misses a three. Markennan throws an alley oop to Kessler for a dunk. Aggressive! Markennan misses a three. Simone misses a three and the route is on.

I mean I guess we could tell Simone and lauri and Sexton and keyonte to stop shooting threes they normally make and we could not sub in Clarkson at all who gave us nothing but I'm seeing lots of drives at the rim and dunks and dunk attempts which seems like aggressive and good shots. Seeing lots of missed threes though and multiple missed layups.

If the missed threes are made threes and the missed easy layups go in then I think the game is competitive to this point even with everything else being the same.

Jazz needed a hot start to compete with the hands down best team in the NBA right now, they did not. The team more or less quit when Boston came out hot and Jazz struggled. The players knew they were coming back. I don't love that attitude, but I can see why they felt that way. Sexton doesn't know or care. He lives in his own world, which can be great sometimes.