What's new

Game Thread Jan 06, 2024 05:30PM MT: Jazz at 76ers

Added to Calendar: 01-06-24

They're trying to give him big minutes so he would have a chance to boost his stats and "6th man image" before they ship him out.
Hope so… he boosted his turnovers tonight so that’s something

How did JC earn 31 minutes tonight. Sloppy and trash defense… if that’s how he’s rolling can we limit his minutes at least? Led all guards in minutes.
Yeah, at one point after multiple minutes of JC slop, Hardy called a timeout. When the feed returned, I saw Dunn back and and thought "finally he sat JC down", only for the camera to pan to JC standing on the court and Key on the bench. Key didn't have a great game either, but he was doing ok at that point. I have a hard time understanding why Hardy doesn't nip that **** in the bud. It is simply awful to watch.

Yeah, at one point after multiple minutes of JC slop, Hardy called a timeout. When the feed returned, I saw Dunn back and and thought "finally he sat JC down", only for the camera to pan to JC standing on the court and Key on the bench. Key didn't have a great game either, but he was doing ok at that point. I have a hard time understanding why Hardy doesn't nip that **** in the bud. It is simply awful to watch.
You are mistaken. Hardy stomped onto the court to call a timeout after Oubre had a clear path to drive to the basket while George was blown by and he even kept himself out of the way while blocking Kello O's way to help. And that sequence was after a couple of ugly turnovers by George. I was as outrageous as Hardy tbh.

Honestly I can't see too much potential in George after nearly 40 games. He is sometimes clueless if he does not shoot the ball. It is even worse if his shot is not falling. And his defense is atrocious at this point. He reminds me of Coby White of Bulls. (I have followed Lauri for 7 years so I know Bulls and Cavs well) A useful combo guard a few years from now but far from a building block many people here rave about. I suggest sending him plus a bunch of picks for a star while he still generates some hype.

You are mistaken. Hardy stomped onto the court to call a timeout after Oubre had a clear path to drive to the basket while George was blown by and he even kept himself out of the way while blocking Kello O's way to help. And that sequence was after a couple of ugly turnovers by George. I was as outrageous as Hardy tbh.

Honestly I can't see too much potential in George after nearly 40 games. He is sometimes clueless if he does not shoot the ball. It is even worse if his shot is not falling. And his defense is atrocious at this point. He reminds me of Coby White of Bulls. (I have followed Lauri for 7 years so I know Bulls and Cavs well) A useful combo guard a few years from now but far from a building block many people here rave about. I suggest sending him plus a bunch of picks for a star while he still generates some hype.
Umm, Clarkson just caused a TO with a bad pass to Collins that led to the fast break. Clarkson was at the top of the key (and Oubre was guarding Clarkson during the Jazz possession)and Clarkson played matador defense. Not sure how Keyonte would be the primary person to blame on that play. And KO wasn't even in. Lauri was, but he came in late from the opposite side.

33p/13reb is nothing here.

Everybody is on Sexton hype and JC hype. Even 10 turnovers each game and non existing D mean nothing when those 2 are talked about.

33p/13reb is nothing here.

Everybody is on Sexton hype and JC hype. Even 10 turnovers each game and non existing D mean nothing when those 2 are talked about.
Sexton definitely has a score first mentality, but he has done a decent job avoiding turnovers in that role (tonight was an outlier and iirc his 5th TO was the shot clock violation to run clock at the end of the game). Clarkson has by far the most turnovers on the team, feels like 5 a game most nights and many of them are based on abysmal decision making. The problem is Sexton, JC, THT and Keyonte are not point guards but have been thrust into that role. Key distribute decent and may end up ok, but clearly hhe has taken a shine to JC and his style is not one Key should emulate. They definitely need to trade at least two of them and hopefully bring in a floor general.

I am starting to think the reason JC is clutch in crunchtime is he plays without thought, so no nerves/overthinking. But it also leads to a lot of really horrible TOs and decisionmaking throughout many games...

That was an interesting game. We had the half-court game fully under control since they had absolutely no one who could provide resistance in the paint. I could swear we scored over 50% of our points in dunks and layups. On the other hand we kept shooting ourselves in the foot all game by turning it over, fouling unnecessarily and missing jump shots, but at least to me it never felt like the Embiid-less Sixers had a chance and it was just a matter of time before we eventually steamroll them.
  • Collins and Lauri had their way in the paint. I think Collins had 5 dunks or something and Lauri also looked like he can get what he wants (plus he was feeling his shot).
  • Our guards (when not turning it over) had easy time finishing against Bamba, Reed and whoever. I dont remember a single block by their centers (do remember a few from their forwards)
  • Both teams wanted to push the pace, which was curious since both were on a b2b.
  • Keyonte had a really bad game. Maxey was able to pressure him but the few turnovers were not the main issue. He needs to figure out how he can provide some resistance in transition/fast break if he ever wants to be a PG as he is expected to be the 1st guy down there most of the time. He just gets out of the way even on 1on1s, and even managed to foul once despite getting out of the way. Like jump passes or whatever, if you cannot even slow them down after they get the ball.
  • Ochai skid continutes. He was better on defense this time, but so underwhelming on the other end.
  • Clarkson is the worst guard we have in pacing the transition. There was one like 4on2 transition opportunity where he should have pushed the ball up early, then even after he didnt he had a few good pass options (including an alley oop to Kessler) but he just dribbled himself into oblivion. Didnt have a great game outside of that either, but at least he got to the line.
Good result, but not one of the better games we have played. We could and should have blown them out early, but they hanged in mainly because of our turnovers, fouls and poor 3P shooting (outside of Lauri). To be fair, Lauri was pretty much the only player for either team to shoot the ball well tonight.

Last edited:
Umm, Clarkson just caused a TO with a bad pass to Collins that led to the fast break. Clarkson was at the top of the key (and Oubre was guarding Clarkson during the Jazz possession)and Clarkson played matador defense. Not sure how Keyonte would be the primary person to blame on that play. And KO wasn't even in. Lauri was, but he came in late from the opposite side.
You are mixing up the plays. There was 11:20 left in the second quarter when Hardy took Keyonte out. It didn't happen after a turnover, it happened after a made free throw by Clarkson. Keyonte had all the time in the world to find his man, but he got completely lost. He wasn't doing ok at that point, he was clearly distracted after a couple of easy turnovers he had. It was an easy decison to take him out at that point. Fortunately he improved his play in the second half.

Overall outside of Sexton, the guard play was really tough to watch. Dunn offered nothing offensively, although he played excellent defence against Maxey. Clarkson had a perfect display of all his bad habits. Ochai offers zero threat offensively.

Collins, Lauri and Sexton were feasting today. Collin got past his man at will and after that there was absolutely zero rim protection ahead.

Last edited:
  • Clarkson is the worst guard we have in pacing the transition. There was one like 4on2 transition opportunity
IMO that was FIVE on two. LOL

You don't see that every day. And you REALLY don't see the only result being a turnover

Good win, but damn that was some sloppy basketball. It's preposterous that Clarkson only got hit with 5 turnovers in the box score... he caused like 10.

Rough, ROUGH game for Keyonte. His defensive intensity is like 10% of what it needs to be in the NBA. I'm not in favor of pulling rookies the second they make a mistake, but he has to learn that playing time and accountability go hand in hand. Of course, he only needs to look at Clarkson to see that it doesn't apply to everybody...

Last edited:
IMO that was FIVE on two. LOL

You don't see that every day. And you REALLY don't see the only result being a turnover

Good win, but damn that was some sloppy basketball. It's preposterous that Clarkson only got hit with 5 turnovers in the box score... he caused like 10.

Rough, ROUGH game for Keyonte. His defensive intensity is like 10% of what it needs to be in the NBA. I'm not in favor of pulling rookies the second they make a mistake, but he has to learn that playing time and accountability go hand in hand. Of course, he only needs to look at Clarkson to see that it doesn't apply to everybody...
Funnily enough, Kris Dunn had 0 points but by eyeball test said he may have been the 2nd best guard for us in this game.

Clarkson put up a better statline but its hard to argue him looking better. Keyonte or Ochai definintely werent better.

Dunn did share team best +8 with Lauri, so I guess he has that stat going for him.

Great win. Hardy is coaching better than earlier in the season. Harris and Embiid didn't play but this is still a nice win, especially since it happened on the road, where we've sucked.

You are mixing up the plays. There was 11:20 left in the second quarter when Hardy took Keyonte out. It didn't happen after a turnover, it happened after a made free throw by Clarkson. Keyonte had all the time in the world to find his man, but he got completely lost. He wasn't doing ok at that point, he was clearly distracted after a couple of easy turnovers he had. It was an easy decison to take him out at that point. Fortunately he improved his play in the second half.

Overall outside of Sexton, the guard play was really tough to watch. Dunn offered nothing offensively, although he played excellent defence against Maxey. Clarkson had a perfect display of all his bad habits. Ochai offers zero threat offensively.

Collins, Lauri and Sexton were feasting today. Collin got past his man at will and after that there was absolutely zero rim protection ahead.
No, I am not, I know what I was referencing. Clarkson had a number of bad plays in the 4th and it was driving me crazy. Yet Key got pulled in the 4th and Clarkson stayed in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240107_080042_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240107_080042_Chrome.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 8