What's new

Game Thread Jan 06, 2024 05:30PM MT: Jazz at 76ers

Added to Calendar: 01-06-24

Just go get Tyus Jones so I'm not forced to watch Kris Dunn anymore.

Dont even have to play THT to make me happy, I just dont want to see anymore Dunn.

Regardless of the outlier win (without 2 of 76ers best players) the consistent amount of sloppy TOs from this team needs to stop. The Sixers has TWENTY-FOUR more shot attempts than the Jazz. Fortunately we feasted inside without their rim protector.

Shot differentials like this will lead to failure. To the eye test, Clarkson, THT and Collins seem to make the worst decisions leading to TOs, and Keyonte is right there. With Key, he may figure it out, but I am not seeing it so far. He doesn't look like a primary ballhandler, even though his passing is decent, his handle is just too loose.

The overdribbling and lack of ball movement is also awful to watch. Let's hope at least a couple of these guys have different units before Feb 8.

Collins seems the least likely to be traded. Seems like we'll have to include assets to dump him. Tired of watching his bricks and lazy closeouts on D, especially on 3 pt shooters.

Also Ochai has been so god damn bad off the bench.

I guess he doesnt do enough with the ball to start next to Sexton, so it would force Sexton to be too ball dominant, but him off the bench in these 15 minutes stints just isnt working at all.

We are getting games where him and Dunn combine for 2 points in nearly 40 minutes on a regular basis.

Sexton is not there yet, but as he has shown improvement, he might get there. Still has these moments where every second time he drives into the wall of meat, causing a TO. Instead of kicking it out.
As a starter he is there. He is playing close to all star level.
Since he has been starting he has very low turnover numbers. Last night was abnormal.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Sexton definitely has a score first mentality, but he has done a decent job avoiding turnovers in that role (tonight was an outlier and iirc his 5th TO was the shot clock violation to run clock at the end of the game). Clarkson has by far the most turnovers on the team, feels like 5 a game most nights and many of them are based on abysmal decision making. The problem is Sexton, JC, THT and Keyonte are not point guards but have been thrust into that role. Key distribute decent and may end up ok, but clearly hhe has taken a shine to JC and his style is not one Key should emulate. They definitely need to trade at least two of them and hopefully bring in a floor general.

I am starting to think the reason JC is clutch in crunchtime is he plays without thought, so no nerves/overthinking. But it also leads to a lot of really horrible TOs and decisionmaking throughout many games...
Thats BS they give a guy a turnover for intentionally letting the shot clock expire at the end of an easy win like that. So dumb

Last edited:
IMO that was FIVE on two. LOL

You don't see that every day. And you REALLY don't see the only result being a turnover

Good win, but damn that was some sloppy basketball. It's preposterous that Clarkson only got hit with 5 turnovers in the box score... he caused like 10.

Rough, ROUGH game for Keyonte. His defensive intensity is like 10% of what it needs to be in the NBA. I'm not in favor of pulling rookies the second they make a mistake, but he has to learn that playing time and accountability go hand in hand. Of course, he only needs to look at Clarkson to see that it doesn't apply to everybody...
Good post, only thing I have to add is that key did play less minutes last than he normally does. So maybe he was held accountable a bit.

Clarkson on the other hand, no accountability at all. Have to think they are trying to trade him.

Regardless of the outlier win (without 2 of 76ers best players) the consistent amount of sloppy TOs from this team needs to stop. The Sixers has TWENTY-FOUR more shot attempts than the Jazz. Fortunately we feasted inside without their rim protector.

Shot differentials like this will lead to failure. To the eye test, Clarkson, THT and Collins seem to make the worst decisions leading to TOs, and Keyonte is right there. With Key, he may figure it out, but I am not seeing it so far. He doesn't look like a primary ballhandler, even though his passing is decent, his handle is just too loose.

The overdribbling and lack of ball movement is also awful to watch. Let's hope at least a couple of these guys have different units before Feb 8.

Collins seems the least likely to be traded. Seems like we'll have to include assets to dump him. Tired of watching his bricks and lazy closeouts on D, especially on 3 pt shooters.
Clarkson, Keyonte, Dunn, KO are all significantly higher TO% than Sexton/THT. KO is worst by at 22%, Dunn at 20%, and Keyonte/Clarkson are both at 16.5%.

THT is 13.5%, Sexton is 12.5%

I still think it's a bit wild we are cutting THT off the way we are. Yes, he still needs to scale back his shot selection, but it had been improving. Sexton/THT are just the best guards we have overall, game to game, and they were building on-court chemistry together. Clarkson is just the highest game to game potential, so that makes him worth playing. Even in a bad game for him he still had crucial individual scoring runs that help put the game away.

I get Dunn gets teh ball where it needs to go, but he also ****s up a number of opportunities by how limited he is offensively. The better the teams we play are really able to exploit his faults and it's hard to watch.

I do wonder if making Keyonte play all his minutes as the default PG is the right move.

It was always questioned if we failed Mitchell by not developing him more as a PG and always having a vet next to him, but maybe Keyonte's development would be boosted if we did something more along those lines instead of making him the adult in the room next to Jordan Clarkson.

If you want Keyonte to be more aggressive, don't put him in a role where he has to think as much as he does.

Clarkson, Keyonte, Dunn, KO are all significantly higher TO% than Sexton/THT. KO is worst by at 22%, Dunn at 20%, and Keyonte/Clarkson are both at 16.5%.

I still think it's a bit wild we are cutting THT off the way we are. Yes, he still needs to scale back his shot selection, but it had been improving. Sexton/THT are just the best guards we have overall, game to game, and they were building on-court chemistry together. Clarkson is just the highest game to game potential, so that makes him worth playing. Even in a bad game for him he still had crucial individual scoring runs that help put the game away.

I get Dunn gets teh ball where it needs to go, but he also ****s up a number of opportunities by how limited he is offensively. The better the teams we play are really able to exploit his faults and it's hard to watch.
Much higher on Dunn than you though. Comparing the two I doubt that Dunn effs it up because of his offense anymore than THT. I do agree that THT deserves minutes however. Should get some of Clarkson’s minutes. Clarkson goes off the rails plenty but somehow always gets the free pass.

THT often misses the rim on wide open 3s. Those should be TOs too. He is the same up and down player the Lakers gave up on for good reason.

If you want Keyonte to be more aggressive, don't put him in a role where he has to think as much as he does.
He needs to not play with JC as much… feels like when he does he hands it off to JC and goes and waits with everyone.

As a starter he is there. He is playing close to all star level.
Since he has been starting he has very low turnover numbers. Last night was abnormal.

Yeah, and it's still relatively small sample size. He had great stretch last season as well. So the question will be,can he be his best version the vast majority of the season. I like him,so I hope so.

I don't get this. IMO, as an NBA player Key is not nearly at the stage where he should be thinking about fine-tuning stuff like "being more aggressive". He has a LOT to learn about the very basics of the pro game and just being a serviceable ball handler and facilitator. The Jazz want him to run when he can't even crawl properly yet.

I mean, his defense is bottom-of-the-barrel horrible. Shouldn't fixing that be a lot higher on the priorities list?

I don't get this. IMO, as an NBA player Key is not nearly at the stage where he should be thinking about fine-tuning stuff like "being more aggressive". He has a LOT to learn about the very basics of the pro game and just being a serviceable ball handler and facilitator. The Jazz want him to run when he can't even crawl properly yet.

I mean, his defense is bottom-of-the-barrel horrible. Shouldn't fixing that be a lot higher on the priorities list?

Wishful thinking. He's gotta be the worst player in the NBA for the amount of minutes he plays.