What's new

Game Thread Jan 08, 2024 06:00PM MT: Jazz at Bucks

Added to Calendar: 01-08-24

I always believe we can win alot of games if we make our 3s. We have no midrange and post up game. We can get our shooters open we just need to make them at a decent rate. Also our bench have been fantastic lately. Our starters plays harder on defense but our bench flows much better. When the trio of ko, jc and keyonte revolves good things happen.

Our early run wasnt any more gimmicky than their comeback. We got 55 points in the 2nd half with just 37 FGA and 1 offensive board.

They werent really stopping us, but they caught up their own 3P fever after ours had gotten cured. They ended up shooting 47.2% from 3, and while we made 4 more 3s our percentage was lower at 45.5%.
What I meant by gimmicky was the strategy to defending Giannis.

Through the 1st half we had a wall of 3 players lined up at the free throw line whenever Giannis caught the ball at the top of the arc. He tried all 1st half to go through, around, or over the wall and he failed. It completely worked.

The second half, when we tried it they had a counter to that strategy. With our 3 guys committed to one, instead of trying to challenge the wall that effectively shut him down, Giannis simply had to recognize it, pull the 3 players in towards the middle to create space, and then find EXTREMELY open 3 point shots on the wings.

Don't get me wrong, they knocked them down very well, but our defensive scheme collapsed and hard. It reminded me of when Exum guarded Harden from behind. A bit gimmicky, but it worked for a half until the counter became clear.

In the last 6 minutes or so, we stopped the 3 man wall and relied on 1 or 2 at most to block Giannis's path to the basket. He scored more, but the wide open 3s went away.

Giannis seemed tired by then as well.

Offensively, we spaced the floor extremely well in the first half. We shot the stinky cheese out of the ball. We played with confidence. Nothing gimmicky there. But the 3 man wall wouldn't work in a 7 game series. Hence, it was a bit gimmicky.

Through the 1st half we had a wall of 3 players lined up at the free throw line whenever Giannis caught the ball at the top of the arc.

But the 3 man wall wouldn't work in a 7 game series. Hence, it was a bit gimmicky.
"The Wall" is something that a lot of teams have played to try to stop Giannis. Including in the playoffs. You can't just stop Giannis and keeping him quiet (like the Jazz did) for even a half is an accomplishment.

When it works, it's the best defense and many teams have played it for years against the Bucks, so I definitely wouldn't call it gimmicky. Teams have played most of playoff series of it.

Most teams are just unable to play it, because of personnel. You need big men with relatively quick feet and guards that are bold enough stand there and also quick enough to recover to shooters (and humble enough to keep going between their man and the wall).

What? That was what boosted Milwaukee to even making it a game.
No. The Jazz had a 31 point lead at half. The Bucks got it down to 11 with a couple of minutes left in the 3rd. That's when Portis went psycho. They already had all of the momentum. The Bucks got it down to 8 when KO defended Portis in the post and Key got the layup off the break to end the 3rd. That's when the Bucks lost the momentum, after KO didn't back down.

And then the mystery tech to start the 4th (probably on Portis) followed by 6 points by Key...

Jr's two minute stretch and KO's response at the end of the 3rd, ended the run.

Last edited:

Through the 1st half we had a wall of 3 players lined up at the free throw line whenever Giannis caught the ball at the top of the arc. He tried all 1st half to go through, around, or over the wall and he failed. It completely worked.

The second half, when we tried it they had a counter to that strategy. With our 3 guys committed to one, instead of trying to challenge the wall that effectively shut him down, Giannis simply had to recognize it, pull the 3 players in towards the middle to create space, and then find EXTREMELY open 3 point shots on the wings.

Don't get me wrong, they knocked them down very well, but our defensive scheme collapsed and hard. It reminded me of when Exum guarded Harden from behind. A bit gimmicky, but it worked for a half until the counter became clear.

In the last 6 minutes or so, we stopped the 3 man wall and relied on 1 or 2 at most to block Giannis's path to the basket. He scored more, but the wide open 3s went away.

Giannis seemed tired by then as well.

Offensively, we spaced the floor extremely well in the first half. We shot the stinky cheese out of the ball. We played with confidence. Nothing gimmicky there. But the 3 man wall wouldn't work in a 7 game series. Hence, it was a bit gimmicky.
Ok I see what you mean. I thought you referred to shotmaking there.