What's new

Game Thread Jan 13, 2023 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Magic

Added to Calendar: 01-13-23

I truly think we’d end up being a better team if we traded the vets. It would be criminal if KO comes back and Kessler goes back to the bench. Hell, the offense might not run as smoothly with Sexton at PG than with Conley but damn if we aren’t fun to watch and dangerous when he is on the floor.

Ya i think the only we are really missing are the screens gobert set. He was an elite screener.
Other than that i think kessler is just as good or better in the other parts of the game. Gobert might be the better rebounder too. I would have to do some research on that

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Gobert's aura was a lot better. Defending the paint was easier because teams gave up. Fools are still out there challenging Kessler and sometimes they get through, get him in foul trouble, or he just gets worn.

Gobert was/is an elite perimeter defender as well (I haven't watched him this year.)

I truly think we’d end up being a better team if we traded the vets. It would be criminal if KO comes back and Kessler goes back to the bench. Hell, the offense might not run as smoothly with Sexton at PG than with Conley but damn if we aren’t fun to watch and dangerous when he is on the floor.

Listening to Locke today he talked about how Hardy said that NBA bodies were tough of Kessler as he just wasn't solid enough for the star centers, who would just push him under the basket and bully him. It makes sense that they tried to hide him from those matchups, at least for the first few months. He also talked about how Abaji wasn't yet ready for the speed and athleticism of the league. How he would stop an initial move on defense then straighten up. You could do that in college but in the NBA, people are just setting you up and then they put you on skates. Boone pointed out that it was the same issue that plagued Alec Burks. I don't he never really unlearned it. I suspect that "unlearning" that has been a primary focus before turning him out there to be barbequed.

Game ball: Walker Kessler
Collin in his first game back was making shots love to see it.
JC not the best shooting night but critical clutch moments make up for it.
Lauri... I heard a rumor of Magic pre-game gather around: ""No one gets posterized tonight by him! U hear me?! NO ONE! I don't care if he gets 100 ft's but no one gets into poster!"
The only draw-back is salty fans from other teams gonna call Lauri now free throw baiter. If they watch the game they would see some of them were quite hard fouls. No one just did not want to be dunked on.
That's the best strategy against Markannen and hope his teammates don't deliver.

Minnesota traded pick 19 and a future 2nd to Memphis for picks 22 and 29 in the most recent draft. Memphis drafted Kessler at 22 for Minnesota. That pick is one of the ones we gave them in the Conley trade.

All of that to say we probably do not have Kessler on our team if we didn’t trade for Conley. Funny how it comes full circle like that.

Ya i think the only we are really missing are the screens gobert set. He was an elite screener.
Other than that i think kessler is just as good or better in the other parts of the game. Gobert might be the better rebounder too. I would have to do some research on that

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
No question he’s going to have a long and distinguished career. Gobert wasn’t this good this early - far from it. Tonight was the first time I heard Boler and T refer to the possibility that Kessler is ROY. Not sure if he’ll ever win three DPOYs but I’ll bet he never has a fall from Grace like Gobert has this season either.

Uncle Mike is coming old.
Perhaps it is time to get younger PG starter.
Pure PG's like Conley and CP3 are almost becoming extinct.

Obviously Kessler is the guy moving forward but having KO in the lineup earlier in the season was nice for ball movement.

I think if they can select a playmaking wing/connector like Amen or a ball mover like Black in the next draft that could solve alot of issues too.

Pure PG's like Conley and CP3 are almost becoming extinct.

Obviously Kessler is the guy moving forward but having KO in the lineup earlier in the season was nice for ball movement.

I think if they can select a playmaking wing/connector like Amen or a ball mover like Black in the next draft that could solve alot of issues too.

At this rate we have to start figuring out where Abaji fits with our future as well. We went from not having any picks in 2022 to grabbing two studs. Not sure we would have done better if we made the picks.

Markkanen - 28 points and 12 rebounds

Clarkson - 23 points and 12 rebounds

Sexton - 18 points (7/12), 3 rebounds, 3 assists

Kessler - 13 points, 9 rebounds, 7 blocks, 2 steals

Vanderbilt - 7 points and 9 rebounds (21 mins)

Ochai was a team high +23 and Sexton was second with +17. Ochai didn’t put up any crazy stats but outside of Kessler he is the second best defender on the team. Good things happen when he is in the game.
Big fan of Ochais game tonight an be lately in general. Dude is non stop hustle. He should be a real solid player once he figures some more things out (like any rookie).

Need him for Philly tomorrow.
Need him? Not really.

He's been bad ever since his injury. I know we have zero point guards on this roster if/when Conley sits, but that's just something we have to deal with this season. Conley can't defend the point of attack any more and that's killing us whenever he's in the game.