What's new

Game Thread Jan 19, 2021 7:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Pelicans

Added to Calendar: 01-19-21

Rudy and Royce were pretty damn great on defense last night. The play right before half where Rudy knocked it away and it was likely out of bounds off the Pelicans... but then no call... no matter Rudy catch’s the guy from behind for a clean block. I literally lol’d.

Bojan is worrying me a little. He shouldn’t be allowed to dribble or playmake for a few weeks... the sequence of three turnovers in the first quarter was so damned bad. If you are open shoot... if not move it around the perimeter.

I hate these type of games, I hope the Jazz play with energy and do not play down to their competition. I think New Orleans will play better tonight.

Bojan is worrying me a little. He shouldn’t be allowed to dribble or playmake for a few weeks... the sequence of three turnovers in the first quarter was so damned bad. If you are open shoot... if not move it around the perimeter.

The reason why he’s off is understandable...but he’s been really awful this year. Some of the metrics have him as one of the most damaging players in the entire league this year and it makes sense.

All he provides is shooting and scoring, but his TS% is way below average. His defense and playmaking are both liabilities. Quin draws up so many set plays for him. There’s something to be said for getting him in a rhythm...but he’s also just very bad and it kills the team.

I agree that he should be allowed to dribble. There’s no reason for him to be a playmaker with this roster. But if the optimal role for him is to not dribble the ball and only shoot...what is his future with this team?

If we have to cut salary. Bogey is at the top of my list.

The reason why he’s off is understandable...but he’s been really awful this year. Some of the metrics have him as one of the most damaging players in the entire league this year and it makes sense.

All he provides is shooting and scoring, but his TS% is way below average. His defense and playmaking are both liabilities. Quin draws up so many set plays for him. There’s something to be said for getting him in a rhythm...but he’s also just very bad and it kills the team.

I agree that he should be allowed to dribble. There’s no reason for him to be a playmaker with this roster. But if the optimal role for him is to not dribble the ball and only shoot...what is his future with this team?

One the most damaging players in the league yet we are one of the best teams in the league.
Maybe he is providing floor spacing due to his reputation as a shooter and that might be helping us to be such a great team.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

One the most damaging players in the league yet we are one of the best teams in the league.
Maybe he is providing floor spacing due to his reputation as a shooter and that might be helping us to be such a great team.

Or maybe we are winning in spite of him and that’s why he has by far the worst +/- metrics on the team. It’s very obvious on paper and in the games that he’s been awful. There really aren’t many high minute players that have been playing as poorly as Bogey.

He's shooting 44% from 3 during the winning streak, but you go off.

He's shooting 44% from 3 during the winning streak, but you go off.

He's shot the ball well lately, as have others, but there's no doubt that when you consider the entire season he's been awful. And the major issues existed all of last season as well, namely being an awful ball handler and defender. He needs to be a great shooter and scorer to break even and offset those things.

Almost all of his decline is from two which makes some sense. I'm just not sure why we run sets where he's running pick and rolls... Can still run him off curls and post him in mismatches. He doesn't have to be just a spot up guy. I'm also fine with him driving off the catch but we need to find ways to limit his ball handling responsibilities... not actively seek them out imo.

He's shot the ball well lately, as have others, but there's no doubt that when you consider the entire season he's been awful. And the major issues existed all of last season as well, namely being an awful ball handler and defender. He needs to be a great shooter and scorer to break even and offset those things.
He's trending the right way with his shooting and that part doesn't worry me. He actually played good defense last game. Zion scored a lot but I thought Bogey was still okay.

Now that Conley is playing great and JC is providing efficient scoring we just don't need as much from Bojan. He rarely gets assists off the dribble, so when he drives its to score... I'd rather get him some mid post touches to accomplish that if we need to.

He usually is a great shooter and scorer and will be this year as well so it's good to know that he will offset those things.

He's trending the right way with his shooting and that part doesn't worry me. He actually played good defense last game. Zion scored a lot but I thought Bogey was still okay.

Now that Conley is playing great and JC is providing efficient scoring we just don't need as much from Bojan. He rarely gets assists off the dribble, so when he drives its to score... I'd rather get him some mid post touches to accomplish that if we need to.

The one area where Bogey is decent on defense is when he can body up on ball against physical players. It can be super useful in certain matchups like Zion or even LeBron, but he's still going to be a negative on defense because he's a huge zero as far adding value as a team defender or rebounder.

Having a ton of offensive firepower is obviously a good thing, but it means someone is going to have to be squeezed out of the offense. Right now it's pretty obvious that Bogey needs to be the one to take a backseat. He can keep up his shot attempts by having a quicker trigger in spot up situations, but I really think he needs to phase out his PnR game and not rely on attacking closeouts with the dribble.

It's really nice to have all of these weapons and it will come in handy when there are inevitable injuries...but it is a luxury and not one I think we can afford going forward. I like Bogey a lot, but he would be the first place I would look to save salary. Especially if we're relegating his role anyways.

The one area where Bogey is decent on defense is when he can body up on ball against physical players. It can be super useful in certain matchups like Zion or even LeBron, but he's still going to be a negative on defense because he's a huge zero as far adding value as a team defender or rebounder.

Having a ton of offensive firepower is obviously a good thing, but it means someone is going to have to be squeezed out of the offense. Right now it's pretty obvious that Bogey needs to be the one to take a backseat. He can keep up his shot attempts by having a quicker trigger in spot up situations, but I really think he needs to phase out his PnR game and not rely on attacking closeouts with the dribble.

It's really nice to have all of these weapons and it will come in handy when there are inevitable injuries...but it is a luxury and not one I think we can afford going forward. I like Bogey a lot, but he would be the first place I would look to save salary. Especially if we're relegating his role anyways.

He had a major injury and little to no summer camp. His shooting is coming back, his post up game will be fine as well. He just needs the ability to punish shorter players on the switch and to move away from or beyond a careening defender. He's really good at both of those except for the first 8 games coming back from injury. I'd much rather he get those kinks out now. He only had 11 point last game but grabbed 7 rebounds with 3 assists. He's not useless when he isn't shooting.

Eventually, it would be nice if Hughes could give us what we get from Bojan. I'd suspect at that point, Bojan would take the Ingles scoring load and we lose Joe who seems to be winding down. We spent soooooo long getting shooters. You can pry them from my cold dead hands.