What's new

Game Thread Jan 20, 2024 06:00PM MT: Jazz at Rockets

Added to Calendar: 01-20-24

Start with Walker on him by starting Walker tonight. If John can’t guard him then he comes off the bench. Or throw KO out there and have a flop off.

I’m cool with starting John… most nights… not tonight. He made it worse by missing his open threes but oh well.
Wide open threes. Some of them in momentum swinging moments too.

I wish we could’ve gotten more from keyonte. Dunn played his *** off. Sexton and Clarkson seemed like they were on the floor all the time. Could’ve given them some rest.

Kessler's missed FT's can largely be cited in the loss.

But we lose this game by 9 without his interior defense.
Similarly, senguins back to back missed free throws can be largely cited for why we had a good chance to win the game on the final possession.

But they lose that game by a bunch if not for him.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

I wish we could’ve gotten more from keyonte. Dunn played his *** off. Sexton and Clarkson seemed like they were on the floor all the time. Could’ve given them some rest.

Two losses, two low-minute Keyonte games. Coincidence? :cool:

I think you are right about Clarkson me as he is huge part of the team getting big minutes every night.
KO minutes are going down by the day. 15 minutes tonight in an overtime game.

Sent from my OPD2203 using Tapatalk

Jazz success recently has been due, in part, to their bench production--Clarkson scoring and Olynyk facilitating. Not saying they can't tighten the rotation, but it sounds as though the Jazz want to trade talent for future picks.

Similarly, senguins back to back missed free throws can be largely cited for why we had a good chance to win the game on the final possession.

But they lose that game by a bunch if not for him.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

If we were to trade Laurie JC and Sexton we'd be thrilled to 4 years from now have Houstons present makeup.
OKC is two years ahead of Houston who is 3 or 4 years ahead of us.
Each suffered great pain to be where they are. Seems like we'll shortcut the process.

Maybe the pain is better, but then there's Detroit as a fly in the ointment.

Me me me me = Sexton&Clarkson
As much I love both, when they are doing great, but both have still trouble in tight games to recognize when to push it to the paint and when to kick out

One of the biggest reasons for several wins have been early leads. It loosens up the whole team, and doesn't trigger ISO- mode in our scoring guards

In some discourses it's too much staring at the stats and individual moments on the game, when in reality, the game flow is everything. It affects in shooting accuracy, investment of the off-ball actions, and on the end, it affects for the defensive flow as well. The amazing flow we had wit offense, by getting so many early leads last few weeks, allowed our team to play right. I wouldn't care if anyone were shooting 0-10, if I loved the game flow I am seeing,but this wasn't the case tonight. The flow wasn't right.

It has to be said though, Ime Udoka had recognized that's our key, and their defense made it quite hard to deliver easy pass around the ball offense, and they made much harder to run our screen actions than most recent opponents. So to be fair, can't but the blame on just the guard play. After we had several turnovers in the early fourth from driving into double teams, coach Hardy didn't react quickly enough. If he were to toughen up his voice to order more ball movement and working off-ball, we would have forced Rockets to work even more in D and would got other players aside our guards more in the offensive flow.

EDIT: Reading through reddit, it seems there are much more people recognizing downfalls of hero ball instead of sticking to individual what if moments. My belief in youth restored! (Reddit has younger demographics)

Last edited:
  • The clutch will be a great learning experience for Sexton. Jabari Smith was basically face guarding Lauri the whole 4th quarter and OT which helped Collin put more pressure on the rim. There were moments when Houston's defense made him a little hesitant whether to shoot or pass at the rim, and I'm sure Collin will learn from those moments.
  • Ochai is just a weird player. -15 in 13 minutes with 0/1 shooting, but on the other hand, Houston shot like 0/6 against him in fast breaks. Has he spent his whole youth running transitions?

Here's why he didn't play. He was really awful.

Last edited:
This game was like mixture of MMA and Basketball. I love the fact that we didnt back away, but maybe, just MAYBE we should have pushed the tempo more and beat them by pace, speed and movement instead of playing slow and allowing this to stay a wrestling mach? I mean the second we started to push the tempo in the 3rd we just blasted the lead away.

I'm also more than confused why Hardy felt like he had to play both Clarkson and Sexton down the stretch? It just ended up in "your turn, my turn" offense really. That isnt what we are about and it just resulted in Sexton and Clarkson combining for 21 FGA in the 4th and OT when the entire rest of the team had 7.

Last edited:
I dont know.... maybe this pic might give us some ideas......

View attachment 15835

Like maybe the defense on the left side is late af and the defender who is going to that side to guard Lauri is Aaron Holiday who is all of 6 foot tall.
It usually even doesn't matter who is guarding Lauri, or Sexton, if they get running start on their defender. It's almost every time a bucket or free throws. Missing these chances hurts