What's new

Jared Butler Signed 2yr Guaranteed Contract

This is good. I was getting mildly concerned he'd pull a KJ McDaniels. Bartlestein is the best agent in the biz at getting his dudes paid... I think that ******* could get me a 10 day if he wanted.

So can he play in summer league now?
JZ in his interview last week said he wasn't playing more due to not wanting to throw him the middle of summer league when he hasn't been able to workout or practice or even do the normal rookie workouts due to his medical. So they didn't feel it was fair to him to just throw him in full contact practices and games when he's been unable to play for so long.

He'll be a RFA which is cool though I was hoping he's sign a 3 year.
I read a pretty informative article about how this process was likely playing out- Since the jazz don't have any money left from the MLE they cant guarantee anything for the 3rd year of a contract. Which likely lead to Butler and Bartlestein threatening to only sign a 1 year deal. It still sucks because the jazz wont have matching rights that third year. I wonder if Bartlestein wants to be a GM...? Jazz GM's still seem to need courses in contract negotiations. Dan Clayton maybe has a better understanding than the jazz GM's.

I wondered if maybe the jazz were holding out for less guaranteed because of Butlers health but it looks like it played out like Dan was suggesting.

Last edited:
I read a pretty informative article about how this process was likely playing out- Since the jazz don't have any money left from the MLE they cant guarantee anything for the 3rd year of a contract. Which likely lead to Butler and Bartlestein threatening to only sign a 1 year deal. It still sucks because the jazz wont have matching rights that third year. I wonder if Bartlestein wants to be a GM...? Jazz GM's still seem to need courses in contract negotiations. Dan Clayton maybe has a better understanding than the jazz GM's.

I wondered if maybe the jazz were holding out for less guaranteed because of Butlers health but it looks like it played out like Dan was suggesting.
Thank you for posting. That is frustrating but at least we can match any MLE after two years.

Tbh - if they knew there was a 50/50 chance that they would use the TPMLE, they should’ve just taken him at 30 and locked him in for 4 years.
According to Chad Ford, they agreed to the trade before their pick was up. They did not think Butler would be there.

I also heard somebody else (Tony Jones?) say they(Utah) got draft day info that Butler was going to drop.

Who actually knows?

According to Chad Ford, they agreed to the trade before their pick was up. They did not think Butler would be there.

I also heard somebody else (Tony Jones?) say they(Utah) got draft day info that Butler was going to drop.

Who actually knows?
I think he has the Brandon Roy knees… so once that news got out I think teams kinda punted. I’m hopeful he stays healthy. I would have rather taken him with 30 than picked up the seconds we got. I assumed that was the ammo we’d use to offload Favs but we sent a first instead.

I think he has the Brandon Roy knees… so once that news got out I think teams kinda punted. I’m hopeful he stays healthy. I would have rather taken him with 30 than picked up the seconds we got. I assumed that was the ammo we’d use to offload Favs but we sent a first instead.

Damn, Brandon Roy, what could've been.