What's new

Jazz 2017/18 Playoff Bus! All Aboard!

What's crazy is the Jazz have a 8:30 tip so they can see everything take shape before them. There's a situation in which the Jazz may want to lose to Portland to get them in the first round instead of the Thunder.
If that’s the case, get Donovan his rookie three point record and then sit the starting 6 - Gobert, Favors, Crowder, Jingles, Mitchell and Rubio.

Filter big minutes to Udoh, Bradley, Jerebko, Niang, O’Neale, Burks, Exum and Neto. Might have to lean on one of those guys over the next few weeks. Get them out there to get some film and then work to help them get better.

Guess it depends on how the FO sees the matchup. If we beat GSW tonight, no question, they'll go for the win. A loss tonight and depending on the matchups tomorrow could make them funnel minutes differently if they feel POR is a better matchup than OKC.

It wouldn't be an all-out tank starting lineup, but I could see the starters limited to 15 minutes with guys like Udoh, Niang, Stockton playing 30+ minutes. They'll do it under the guise of resting their guys for the big push seeing as how they'd be back in POR in just a few short days.

Personally I would rather play OKC. Dame is playing MVP-caliber level and I definitely am more scared of him than Russell "shoot my team out of games" Westbrook. PG is a scary matchup, but so is McCollum. Adams is better than Nurk but not by an extreme margin. I'm not scared of Melo in the slightest, but there's always that chance he goes off.

Even if we're in the position to do we are not going to tank the Portland game to ensure a first round matchup against Portland vs. homecourt against OKC. Any possible benefit from a Portland matchup is outweighed by the benefits (on court and off) of getting home court, winning the division, and not being branded as "ducking" OKC

I just don't get the fear of OKC. They are mediocre at best. They are a team that depends on low-assist iso ball and getting the putback if they miss. They aren't efficient and are 25th in the NBA in 3 point percentage. That sounds like a team the Jazz were built to defend, especially given an entire series to prepare.

As far as Westbrook goes, he's good, but the Jazz are probably the worst possible matchup for him with elite rim protection and 4 guys (Rubio, Mitchell, Exum, and O'Neale) who can stick him hard on defense and with length. He'll play 40 minutes, but will never be covered by a Neto or Mack.

I'm OK with Paul being covered by Ingles and O'Neale. We just have to frustrate them enough to force Westbrook into a lot of contested shots and box Adams off the boards. Keep that up and maybe we get hero ball Melo, which pretty much seals the deal.

I do think having Crowder vs. Hood/Johnson helps us a lot defensively against OKC. Now we have Crowder / Ingles / O'Neale to guard PG and Melo, which isn't bad.

Who starts at 4 for OKC these days? Grant?

Really hope we win tonight.

I do think having Crowder vs. Hood/Johnson helps us a lot defensively against OKC. Now we have Crowder / Ingles / O'Neale to guard PG and Melo, which isn't bad.

Who starts at 4 for OKC these days? Grant?

Really hope we win tonight.
Carmelo has been their 4 this season. PG13 is the SF and Corey Brewer has been starting at SG. Losing Roberson hurt them a lot.

I dont think they have much of an advantage over us. They have been a good defensive team this year but our defense is better. They have some guys who can heat up and win you games in PG13 and Westbrook but both of those guys can also shoot you out of a game.

Playoff bus has reached its destination. Everyone aboard its connection to the Egg Shen Championship Express bus...

283fze.jpg

LOL wtf? According to the NBA, the third seed is completely decided by @ Portland, even if we lose tonight. GO ahead and throw out everything from last night

Yea. NBA sent out the official scenarios that crapped over the tiebreakers that everyone has been obsessing about for 24 hours, and Utah @ Blazers decides the three seed no matter what.

So maybe it'd be smart to just punt tonight & rest & go all-in for the 3 seed tomorrow. If they lose both games, they're in 7th & playing the Warriors automatically right? Without Curry that feels like a lateral move from OKC. My fear is they win tonight, lose tomorrow & still end up 5th against OKC.

So maybe it'd be smart to just punt tonight & rest & go all-in for the 3 seed tomorrow. If they lose both games, they're in 7th & playing the Warriors automatically right? Without Curry that feels like a lateral move from OKC. My fear is they win tonight, lose tomorrow & still end up 5th against OKC.
Welcome to jazzfanz!

Even if we're in the position to do we are not going to tank the Portland game to ensure a first round matchup against Portland vs. homecourt against OKC. Any possible benefit from a Portland matchup is outweighed by the benefits (on court and off) of getting home court, winning the division, and not being branded as "ducking" OKC
What about if ensuring a non homecourt advantage vs okc or a non homecourt advantage against portland is in play.

The Warriors minus Curry still scare me far more than OKC. I think people are falling into a trap on this one. You have to remember that the Warriors are now a seasoned playoff juggernaut: we aren't seeing the real Warriors yet. I mean Steve Kerr is on record from earlier in the season saying things like him being fine with the guys not playing 100% on defense, and taking it easy until the playoffs.

On the other hand, OKC is OKC (and that's a beatable team, imo). They are playing to keep PG around, I really don't think they have a next gear.

What about if ensuring a non homecourt advantage vs okc or a non homecourt advantage against portland is in play.
I don't think either of those scenarios can be guaranteed. They both rely on outcomes of other games. As far as I'm aware, the only control the Jazz have over a position is for the three seed by beating Portland. They can guarantee they drop no lower than 5th by winning either game, though. My guess is they play conservatively and try to win tonight so they can be assured of not drawing a first round match with the Warriors.

Limping into the playoffs as a seventh seed at this point would be such a darn disappointment. The Jazz are green enough that they just need to play to win both remaining games and take as high a seed as they can get. Media oxygen is important to small market teams. Snagging that third seed clean gets us that and helps the narrative for our off season no matter what happens in the playoffs. People wanting to play the Warriors over the Thunder are borderline delusional. . .