What's new

Jazz 2017/18 Playoff Bus! All Aboard!

I don't think either of those scenarios can be guaranteed. They both rely on outcomes of other games. As far as I'm aware, the only control the Jazz have over a position is for the three seed by beating Portland. They can guarantee they drop no lower than 5th by winning either game, though. My guess is they play conservatively and try to win tonight so they can be assured of not drawing a first round match with the Warriors.

Conversely, I can see the Warriors not playing their starters big minutes because they don't want any part of playing the Jazz without Curry. They have the luxury of fiddling with things like that. There are way to many possibilities for them that don't involve a team that plays strong defense.

Conversely, I can see the Warriors not playing their starters big minutes because they don't want any part of playing the Jazz without Curry. They have the luxury of fiddling with things like that. There are way to many possibilities for them that don't involve a team that plays strong defense.
For sure. My best guess is that they follow that strategy. But the Jazz still have to decide what they're going to do, because it's unlikely Steve Kerr is gonna walk over and tell QS what his gameplan is.

It is pretty hilarious, everyone wasn't wrong yesterday. It's like the NBA just decided that doing a division tiebreaker was dumb as hell and wanted that ESPN last game of the season to have a ton of importance no matter what. So they just changed the stated rules.

People wanting to play the Warriors over the Thunder are borderline delusional. . .
I'm certainly delusional, but my point wasn't wanting to play the Warriors over OKC, it was simply pondering the value of trying to give ourselves the best possible chance to get the #3 seed. If tomorrow decides #3 no matter what, why not treat that as the sole focus? It's a back to back for us & Portland is resting tonight, so wouldn't you agree we'd have a far better shot at winning tomorrow if we rest tonight?

I'm certainly delusional, but my point wasn't wanting to play the Warriors over OKC, it was simply pondering the value of trying to give ourselves the best possible chance to get the #3 seed. If tomorrow decides #3 no matter what, why not treat that as the sole focus? It's a back to back for us & Portland is resting tonight, so wouldn't you agree we'd have a far better shot at winning tomorrow if we rest tonight?
Sure, but you also greatly increase your chances of having to play the Warriors in the first round.

If the Jazz win tonight, they guarantee themselves not to play the Warriors in the first round. In my opinion, that's the best possible value you can gain in the playoff race right now.

If the Jazz win tonight, they guarantee themselves not to play the Warriors in the first round. In my opinion, that's the best possible value you can gain in the playoff race right now.
Good point...I guess the risk/reward by getting too clever isn't really worth it, just play it straight-up & see what happens.

I don't see QS overthinking this. Beat GS, beat Portland. 3rd seed meets 6th seed. Beat them.

If GSW were blowing us out, I could see Quin packing it in for tomorrow vs. Portland, rather than running helter skelter to try to win tonight. Otherwise, I think Quin will treat tonight as a regular game. The Portland game is obviously for the 3rd seed regardless of what happens tonight.

I'd like to have home-court advantage. I think that would be a great achievement for the season, and would be a real advantage for us in a series. If nothing else, it might keep some of the refs a bit more honest.

I'd like to have home-court advantage. I think that would be a great achievement for the season, and would be a real advantage for us in a series. If nothing else, it might keep some of the refs a bit more honest.

Westbrook gonna shoot a thousand free throws... uggghhhh.

Yea. NBA sent out the official scenarios that crapped over the tiebreakers that everyone has been obsessing about for 24 hours, and Utah @ Blazers decides the three seed no matter what.

They sent out scenarios that contradict their own rules? That's freaking great. The rules really aren't that complicated, so I don't understand what's going on.

They sent out scenarios that contradict their own rules? That's freaking great. The rules really aren't that complicated, so I don't understand what's going on.
And now they are retracting their precious scenarios and amending them. Looks like we need to win both games after all.

Supposedly, if the Warriors lose tonight, they guarantee themselves not having to play the Jazz OR the Thunder and get one of Denver, NO, The Wolves, or the Spurs. That seems like a pretty good deal if you ask me.