What's new

Jazz 3pt %

I could be wrong and it could be my own bias playing tricks on me but I feel the Jazz get more open to wide open looks on most nights then whoever the opponent/team is that night. Again I could be wrong on that but to me it outside of Clarkson and Mitchell it feels the Jazz as a team get better looks from 3. As was said O'Neal and Ingles mostly only shoot when wide open and even then sometimes they pass those up as well as Bogey sometime passes up an open 3.

It also feels like the other teams hit a higher % during the times they get those open to wide open looks (that I feel the Jazz get more of those open to wide open looks). My point is as NBA players I would think with the looks the Jazz get (again outside of Clarkson and Mitchell) the Jazz should be hitting at a high percentage and based on what the opponents shoot against the Jazz on those same open to wide open looks to me it seems like the Jazz might shoot a slightly lower percentage on open to wide open looks then whoever the Jazz are playing that night.

But again I definitely could have a bias in my observation.
Jazz get a lot of open looks, but they also get a lot of terrible shots from Clarkson, so in reality the percentage of open looks vs contested might not be as favorable as you think.

Jazz get a lot of open looks, but they also get a lot of terrible shots from Clarkson, so in reality the percentage of open looks vs contested might not be as favorable as you think.
Not sure if it's just me or not but I have more confidence in JC taking contested 3's then the rare times he gets a wide open look (on a kick from someone driving for example).

That's more of a reflection on how I feel on him shooting wide open 3's then anything, on the rare occasion he does get one my first thought when I see it is him on the receiving end of the pass is "well there's a wasted wide open shot".

Also when it is Ingles on the receiving end of a pass where he is wide open for a 3 my brain's first thought is "god damnit Joe shoot it" as it just assumes he's not going to shoot, despite his slump I still want and expect he should shoot open 3's.

Last edited:
Not sure if it's just me or not but I have more confidence in JC taking contested 3's then the rare times he gets a wide open look (on a kick from someone driving for example).

That's more of a reflection on how I feel on him shooting wide open 3's then anything, on the rare occasion he does get one my first thought when I see it is him on the receiving end of the pass is "well there's a wasted wide open shot".

Also when it is Ingles on the receiving end of a pass where he is wide open for a 3 my brain's first thought is "god damnit Joe shoot it" as it just assumes he's not going to shoot, despite his slump I still want and expect he should shoot open 3's.
There's more to it for Clarkson than just open vs contested. It depends on the quality of his footwork leading up to the shot. Sometimes he just aimlessly dribbles and forces a super wonky balance move that is probably technically an open shot, but it's not a good open shot. But yeah, his open catch and shoot has been pretty poor this year. It's extremely disappointing.

We get the 8th most wide open 3 point shots a game. We are also 8th best at shooting them at 39%. This is a drop off from last year where we attempted the most and were 3rd best making them at 42%. We are attempting 3 less a game.
We get the 2nd most open 3 point shots a game. We are the 14th best at shooting these at 34.%. This is a big drop off from last year where we were 5th best at shooting them and even bigger drop off from the playoffs last year where we shot the most and shot 3rd best. We are shooting almost the same number as last year regular season though.
We shoot the 6th most tightly defended 3 point shots a game. We make them at the 6th best of 41.7 although no team shoots many of these. We get 0.3 a game. So its a non factor.
We shoot the 4th most tight 3 point shots a game. We are also the 4th best at shooting them at 32.5%.

We generate a lot of open 3s and make them pretty well when wide open and not so great when only open. We also shoot too many contested 3s that arent a great shot.

For wide open shots all of our main guys shoot pretty well on these. Everyone shoots between 38-40%.

Open shots is where things separate at. Mitchell shoots the most at 31.7 on 4.7 attempts a game, not great. Clarkson shoots 24% on 3.3 attempts per game, awful. Conley shoots 45% on 2.6 attempts, elite. Bojan and Gay are pretty good here around the same 37% on 2.3/2.4 attempts a game.

Clarkson and Mitchell are our only guys that shoot very tightly contested 3s. Clarkson at .2 and Mitchell at .1 a game. Its a non factor because so few are shot but Clarkson does shoot okay here at 37% and Mitchell isnt bad at 33. Bojan is 1 for 1 this year.

As for tight 3 point shots we Conley shoots really well here but he only shoots 1 every 3 games so its not a factor. But Mitchell puts up 2.5 a game at a reasonable 34%. Clarkson puts up 1.9 a game for a reasonable 34.9%. Bojan puts up 1 every other game at a good 37%. The rest of the team has put up some random ones here there with bad percentages. These shots are fine for the team. We shouldnt take as many for Mitchell and Clarkson but they shoot pretty well and are confident in the ones they take.

Our team suffers the most on open shots, not wide open. This is where Clarkson has killed us. We really should shoot very well on wide open shots as well. We have better shooters than most teams. Grayson Allen, Ball, and Curry are some of the best in the NBA with getting a lot of them and making them at a ~41% rate. Eric Gordon also is pretty high and shoots 45%. But all of the elite teams seem to have 1-2 guys taking 1-2 shot attempts a game from here and hitting 45-55%. We need that from our good shooters. Last year we had Conley, Niang, Ingles, and Mitchell in this category.

Overall we are shooting 3 less 3 points a game and these come from wide open 3s. We are also shooting almost 4% worse from three, which is kind of across the board. But I think Ingles (-10%) Mitchell (-4.5%) and Clarkson(-2.5%) bring us down the most. Plus maybe losing Niang one of our best shooters last year.

TLDR:
We arent shooting as well as last year on open 3s and getting 3 less a game.

We get the 8th most wide open 3 point shots a game. We are also 8th best at shooting them at 39%. This is a drop off from last year where we attempted the most and were 3rd best making them at 42%. We are attempting 3 less a game.
We get the 2nd most open 3 point shots a game. We are the 14th best at shooting these at 34.%. This is a big drop off from last year where we were 5th best at shooting them and even bigger drop off from the playoffs last year where we shot the most and shot 3rd best. We are shooting almost the same number as last year regular season though.
We shoot the 6th most tightly defended 3 point shots a game. We make them at the 6th best of 41.7 although no team shoots many of these. We get 0.3 a game. So its a non factor.
We shoot the 4th most tight 3 point shots a game. We are also the 4th best at shooting them at 32.5%.

We generate a lot of open 3s and make them pretty well when wide open and not so great when only open. We also shoot too many contested 3s that arent a great shot.

For wide open shots all of our main guys shoot pretty well on these. Everyone shoots between 38-40%.

Open shots is where things separate at. Mitchell shoots the most at 31.7 on 4.7 attempts a game, not great. Clarkson shoots 24% on 3.3 attempts per game, awful. Conley shoots 45% on 2.6 attempts, elite. Bojan and Gay are pretty good here around the same 37% on 2.3/2.4 attempts a game.

Clarkson and Mitchell are our only guys that shoot very tightly contested 3s. Clarkson at .2 and Mitchell at .1 a game. Its a non factor because so few are shot but Clarkson does shoot okay here at 37% and Mitchell isnt bad at 33. Bojan is 1 for 1 this year.

As for tight 3 point shots we Conley shoots really well here but he only shoots 1 every 3 games so its not a factor. But Mitchell puts up 2.5 a game at a reasonable 34%. Clarkson puts up 1.9 a game for a reasonable 34.9%. Bojan puts up 1 every other game at a good 37%. The rest of the team has put up some random ones here there with bad percentages. These shots are fine for the team. We shouldnt take as many for Mitchell and Clarkson but they shoot pretty well and are confident in the ones they take.

Our team suffers the most on open shots, not wide open. This is where Clarkson has killed us. We really should shoot very well on wide open shots as well. We have better shooters than most teams. Grayson Allen, Ball, and Curry are some of the best in the NBA with getting a lot of them and making them at a ~41% rate. Eric Gordon also is pretty high and shoots 45%. But all of the elite teams seem to have 1-2 guys taking 1-2 shot attempts a game from here and hitting 45-55%. We need that from our good shooters. Last year we had Conley, Niang, Ingles, and Mitchell in this category.

Overall we are shooting 3 less 3 points a game and these come from wide open 3s. We are also shooting almost 4% worse from three, which is kind of across the board. But I think Ingles (-10%) Mitchell (-4.5%) and Clarkson(-2.5%) bring us down the most. Plus maybe losing Niang one of our best shooters last year.

TLDR:
Thanks for putting this together.

TLDR:
tldr: Every team in the NBA is experiencing this - seriously look it up. For whatever reason this year, shooting is down across the entire league, regardless of shot quality, frequency, defense, etc...

tldr: Every team in the NBA is experiencing this - seriously look it up. For whatever reason this year, shooting is down across the entire league, regardless of shot quality, frequency, defense, etc...
This is somewhat true, especially early in the year. Most likely due to the new ball.

But we're also ranked lower compared to other teams last year in almost every category.