What's new

Jazz acquire NAW and Juancho Hernangomez for Ingles, Hughes, and two 2nd round picks.

New theory:

They made this trade as a setup to dumping Clarkson if they can this off-season… even though they probably already have a better prospect for that role in JB. Or maybe this is them hedging on House leaving?

I don’t know. Still trying to make sense of it. His path to minutes is rough and most likely comes at the expense of someone else that is as or more deserving.
So we are going to dump Clarkson for a less experienced less efficient player?

This trade gives the Jazz two youngish players who were both drafted in the middle of the first round. Maybe both turn out to be duds or both turn into decent pieces. Both have had statistically decent seasons playing in the show.

I've been watching some more tape of NAW. One of the main issues is that the Pels have been playing him primarily at PG when he's really a 2-guard. He shoots much better when he doesn't need to be the primary ball handler, when he can get his feet set, and when he can set up his drives with the right angles and timing. He had good numbers as a rookie, but that was when the Pels had Jrue Holiday and Lonzo Ball to share the ball-handling duties.

After the Pels traded away Jrue and then Lonzo, they started depending on NAW too much to create a lot in an offense with very little structure and mediocre talent around him. He's been forcing plays, whether that's forcing passes in the paint or taking tough contested mid-range jumpers off the dribble. He's going to look a lot better with someone else handling the PG duties, so he can play on the wing. He won't be relied upon as the primary creator or scorer. He'll also be able to lock in on defense.

Here's an example where in NAW's highlights he's playing off the ball. He's a guy who CAN play point guard if necessary, but he's not a high-level point guard. It would be like playing Tyler Herro or Alec Burks at point guard, imo.

Last edited:
I think a more apt comparison for NAW here is Emmanuel Mudiay. Not really from a player profile perspective, but a lot of the things I'm hearing of why we're hyping NAW isn't because of specific basketball reasons but because of things like him being a first round pick, him being young, him having potential, and him scoring a decent amount on a bad team.

Mudiay was 23 when we signed him. He was coming off a season where he played 27 mpg with the Knicks, averaged 14.8 ppg, 4 assists, 3 rebounds, and shot 45% from the field and 33% from deep. He was the 7th overall pick.

NAW is 23, playing 26 mpg with the Pelicans, scoring 12.8 ppg, 3 assists, 3 rebounds, and is shooting 38% from the field and 31% from deep. He was the 17th overall pick.

My point isn't that they're similar. I'll plead enough ignorance on not really watching NAW. My point is more that we didn't let the hype machine carry us on Mudiay. The largest difference, in my view, is the biasing in how they were acquired. There's a perceived value (or lack thereof) relating to that. Mudiay came on a minimum deal. Our expectations of further development were much lower. I believe realizing that he only garnered a minimum deal helped us rein in any inflated expectation. Nobody pointed to his draft position or his scoring and youth as reasons to be fairly optimistic that we were getting a prospect. Here we've made a mid-season deal that was a salary move, but the narrative has used NAW as a cover, as if he was the primary motivator in why we made this move. Everything that people have said about NAW is equally true about Mudiay. That's because it's been very short on any specifics and we've appealed to non-specific measure, measures of which Mudiay compares favorably with.

NAW may be great. I have no idea. I'm kind of agnostic in thinking that nobody else does, either, though we're biased by thinking we went out to find a diamond in the rough and neglected that this was a salary move with a spin. His $5M next year is a problem, though. Imagine if we signed Mudiay for $5M. We had to use two second rounders to dump Ed Davis' $5M. We already used two second rounders to dump the salary that brought NAW in, and that only shaved us $4M, not to mention costing us our most important locker room presence of the past 8 years.

Thought this was interesting:

Here's the Jazz's shot chart for the season:

a.png

And here's NAW's:

aa.png

If the Jazz can keep him mostly on the right side of the court for shooting 3s, that could benefit both him and the team.

btw, Hernangomez is definitely much more effective as a left-side-of-the-court three-point shooter.

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    161.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

View attachment 11718

And here's NAW's:

View attachment 11719

If the Jazz can keep him mostly on the right side of the court for shooting 3s, that could benefit both him and the team.

btw, Hernangomez is definitely much more effective as a left-side-of-the-court three-point shooter.
I would like to see the one for phoenix or GS, just curious how we compare to the best teams.

View attachment 11718

And here's NAW's:

View attachment 11719

Wow. That's...hilarious and a little scary and rather interesting all at the same time.

View attachment 11718

And here's NAW's:

View attachment 11719

Where do you get these? I google for 3 whole minutes and couldn't find it.

If Herro or Burks absolutely sucked at getting buckets, sure.
But what about the sizzle reel highlights… he shoots 100% ya dummy.

I have low hopes for him. Just seems weird that everyone is squinting trying to figure out what the master plan is when it was essentially a salary dump with a lotto ticket. NAW does not factor into to some grand scheme.

But what about the sizzle reel highlights… he shoots 100% ya dummy.

I have low hopes for him. Just seems weird that everyone is squinting trying to figure out what the master plan is when it was essentially a salary dump with a lotto ticket. NAW does not factor into to some grand scheme.
We have been calculating this precise moment since 2015. We have the rest of the league exactly where we want them.

We have been calculating this precise moment since 2015. We have the rest of the league exactly where we want them.
Looked at the numbers... that $5M next year is really problematic. Puts us like $8M-9M over the tax if we only fill out the roster with minimum guys. So to slide all the way under the tax you need to move JC into someone's cap space without taking back any salary. Then don't use any exceptions. Or you move Bogey into someone's space and use some space to bring back Paschall or a FA. The teams you would trade Mike to are likely over the cap...

So you either take on another tax bill and move into the repeater category or lose JC and likely Eric (maybe he doesn't get much)... or Bogey... or you find a home for Gay and NAW without giving up too much. You might be able to move Gay and then JC for a little returning salary... but the extra $5M kinda makes the degree of difficulty that much harder. I could see us being able to move JC for less returning salary and moving Gay into someones cap space fairly easily.

Maybe NAW gets in and has a good game when someone is hurt and OKC wants his salary for next year to unite him with SGA... but man I don't love the downside of that flier... and no one is really talking about it much (I mean you are of course).

Looked at the numbers... that $5M next year is really problematic. Puts us like $8M-9M over the tax if we only fill out the roster with minimum guys. So to slide all the way under the tax you need to move JC into someone's cap space without taking back any salary. Then don't use any exceptions. Or you move Bogey into someone's space and use some space to bring back Paschall or a FA. The teams you would trade Mike to are likely over the cap...

So you either take on another tax bill and move into the repeater category or lose JC and likely Eric (maybe he doesn't get much)... or Bogey... or you find a home for Gay and NAW without giving up too much. You might be able to move Gay and then JC for a little returning salary... but the extra $5M kinda makes the degree of difficulty that much harder. I could see us being able to move JC for less returning salary and moving Gay into someones cap space fairly easily.

Maybe NAW gets in and has a good game when someone is hurt and OKC wants his salary for next year to unite him with SGA... but man I don't love the downside of that flier... and no one is really talking about it much (I mean you are of course).
It was the most short-sighted salary move we've ever made. If it had been more anticipated, and the opportunity hadn't arisen quickly when Portland obtained him (and subsequently looked to dump him), we perhaps would have thought this through a little more.

It was the most short-sighted salary move we've ever made. If it had been more anticipated, and the opportunity hadn't arisen quickly when Portland obtained him (and subsequently looked to dump him), we perhaps would have thought this through a little more.
I mean at the point that you have to send out 2nd rounders and put yourself well past the LT threshold next year just to keep the guys already under contract and fill out the roster spots... maybe just keep Joe?

I think there is a possibility that NAW is as useful as Cold Matthew and Joe doesn't come back. What a ****ing goose-egg for the organization in that case.

I'll send thoughts and prayers that this turns out to be a good decision but we all know how useful that is.