What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

I’m gonna have to do an analysis of the PPP but it seems like the Lakers being the 3rd team would actually work just fine.

In any case, RJ still doesn’t really do it for me so I’m kinda not bummed about the increased difficulty in getting him in the deal.

RJ on that deal should REALLY do it for you. That is a steal.

This really isn’t that big of a hurdle. If anything I really like that extension number for RJ.

I literally just ran the numbers and:

RJ + Rose + Sims + McBride works for Donovan + NAW

The minimum amount the Knicks would have to send back salary wise is $28,289,130.

Those four players equal $28,624,725 as outgoing salary.

The maximum amount the Jazz could take in while sending out those two is $44,201,766.

Those four players equal $43,924,090 as incoming salary.

We could find a third team to take Sims or McBride if we wanted to. This is just one idea I have found that would work already.

I don't think the Jazz want RJ at $30M/yr. I think it would complicate the rebuild.

While we may be bringing Mitchell into camp, I have a hard time seeing us bringing all of Bogey, Clarkson, Conley, and Beasley into camp.

I have to think it’s time to start executing some of the other moves if the Don/Knicks talks are off for now.

I have talked about for weeks that RJ + Rose is enough salary to do a deal for Donovan alone. All this extension did was force us to swap NAW for Sims/McBride. It isn’t that big of a deal especially knowing RJ is coming with a great contract.

Willing to do 3-4 years of tanking minimum but no patience when making trades (I’m kidding).

I think the Jazz dodged a bullet with this one. If RJ was in the trade, he wasn’t in the trade for 1-2 less picks. It was probably 3+. The Knicks weren’t giving up someone they just gave $120 M easily.

There’s a reason why RJ was not discussed as much as the other deals in these 400+ pages. Whether the Jazz truly wanted Barrett or not….I think it’s for the best we didn’t go that route.
The reported trade was RJ and 2 unprotected and 3 protected picks… so I think the substitute is 1 unprotected and likely IQ and Toppin. I’m sure some of us are good with that. Ainge maybe not.

I’m fine waiting on a trade… just not all year.

It’s not an overpay and he’s not middling talent. Try again.

He's not efficient. He's not a 1st option-type player, and he's not reliable as a 2nd option either. See if he improves, but he's not a difference maker right now. He's got potential as a driver/slasher, but he has to become a better rim finisher to make it work.

The reported trade was RJ and 2 unprotected and 3 protected picks… so I think the substitute is 1 unprotected and likely IQ and Toppin. I’m sure some of us are good with that. Ainge maybe not.

I’m fine waiting on a trade… just not all year.

One unprotected + IQ and Toppin is a huge win for us IMO. I guess we’ll what the trade ends up being. I pretty much tuned out all rumors for the last month so I never really got invested in this RJ stuff.

Me personally, I know what we’re signing up for. It doesn’t really when we trade Mitchell because it’s going to be a 3-4 year period of sucking anyways….and that’s if we do a good job. We made the choice to rebuild, so you have to deal with the consequences. The consequences are sucking for many years.

If you’re an enjoyer of watching basketball, the near future was going to be awful anyways.

This really isn’t that big of a hurdle. If anything I really like that extension number for RJ.

I literally just ran the numbers and:

RJ + Rose + Sims + McBride works for Donovan + NAW

The minimum amount the Knicks would have to send back salary wise is $28,289,130.

Those four players equal $28,624,725 as outgoing salary.

The maximum amount the Jazz could take in while sending out those two is $44,201,766.

Those four players equal $43,924,090 as incoming salary.

We could find a third team to take Sims or McBride if we wanted to. This is just one idea I have found that would work already.

1 player out of 179 that had the poison pill restriction have been traded...I'd say it's a pretty big hurdle. I think it's possible a deal still gets done between Jazz/Knicks, but I doubt RJ will be involved.

View: https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1564457569321713665

1 player out of 179 that had the poison pill restriction have been traded...I'd say it's a pretty big hurdle. I think it's possible a deal still gets done between Jazz Knicks, but I doubt RJ will be involved.

View: https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1564457569321713665

We are about to make it 2! In all fairness very little of those other guys who signed were in trade talks for a superstar so it’s a bit irrelevant to the current moment.

I just really want us to get RJ. There is still plenty of variations out there without him but man I would love to get him.

Knicks Fans: “Jazz have to trade Donovan this summer. There’s no way there going to bring him into training camp after trying to trade him this summer”

Meanwhile the Knicks just fully admitted they tried to trade Barrett before (perhaps reluctantly?) signing him to his extension, and are currently dangling half their roster in trade talks.

(Insert Alanis Morissette lyrics)

One unprotected + IQ and Toppin is a huge win for us IMO. I guess we’ll what the trade ends up being. I pretty much tuned out all rumors for the last month so I never really got invested in this RJ stuff.

Me personally, I know what we’re signing up for. It doesn’t really when we trade Mitchell because it’s going to be a 3-4 year period of sucking anyways….and that’s if we do a good job. We made the choice to rebuild, so you have to deal with the consequences. The consequences are sucking for many years.

If you’re an enjoyer of watching basketball, the near future was going to be awful anyways.
I’ll still enjoy the basketball either way… I prefer not to be in limbo and the constant rumors long term are something that I’d prefer not to deal with.

We are about to make it 2! In all fairness very little of those other guys who signed were in trade talks for a superstar so it’s a bit irrelevant to the current moment.

I just really want us to get RJ. There is still plenty of variations out there without him but man I would love to get him.
RJ ain’t in the deal… it ain’t happening now.

This is what happens when you don’t negotiate in good faith. Ainge wanted and additional first plus Grimes… in addition to the package discussed (based on the Woj tea leaves). That’s a bonkers ask. He may end up getting what he wants but he may have to chill out a bit and compromise.

I’ll still enjoy the basketball either way… I prefer not to be in limbo and the constant rumors long term are something that I’d prefer not to deal with.

I guess from my perspective it sucks no matter either because we won’t see a Jazz game where it’s important for us to win in many years. I don’t really care about trade rumors when the team is going to be irrelevant for many years.

It’s definitely most boring if the Jazz don’t do anything…. But there is so much boring ahead. Years and years of it. If we were ok with the rebuild, we should be ok with uncomfortable, boring, and/or whatever situation this Mitchell standoff is. There’s going to be many of these moments ahead and it’s going to take patience.

For a lot of these tanking and crappy teams the only relevancy they have is trade rumors. That’s the nature of a tanking team.