What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

There’s bias in these reports, I don’t think a biased report clearly shows anything
I don't disagree, almost all of the reporting is coming from the Knicks side, although Sara Todd confirmed most of what was reported. It will be interesting what message gets pushed by Shams/TJ today.

Trade rumors are fine… it’s that we are stuck in the middle with the big trade that is the issue. I don’t watch for relevance per se. Wins and losses may not matter but it’s still fun to watch guys grow and become familiar with new players. Being stuck and somewhat aimless with Donovan would be so weird. I doubt they tear it down to studs with Don on the roster. They should but it’s also kinda ****** to ask him to smile through that. Make all the guys deal with rumors all season… vibes were already garbage.
I mean Donovan was not a blameless spectator as "the vibes" became garbage. I posit he will never play for a better team than the Jazz had two years ago. He wanted Rudy gone. Rudy's gone.

I mean Donovan was not a blameless spectator as "the vibes" became garbage. I posit he will never play for a better team than the Jazz had two years ago. He wanted Rudy gone. Rudy's gone.
Exactly… he can make vibes ****** without trying… what happens when he leans in? Don’t risk poisoning the well to get an extra asset… even if we just get 3 UP and 2 PP we are fine and can combine that with the Minny return and we are absolutely getting at least one pick from LA.

Making him sit in the stink he helped creat sounds cute but it doesn’t benefit us at all… and absolutely could hurt us.

Danny can keep digging in and the RJ thing is likely a small setback… if Donovan is on the roster to start the season it will get ugly.

It is feeling like Danny is the used car salesman pushing the hard deal, and the Knick's used any negotiators best weapon....just walk away. You walk out of that dealership and the numbers start to change. They effectively walked away and now the numbers have to change or Danny gets stuck holding the bag. At this point if they don't get something done with some value we stand the very real risk of simply losing out on all fronts. Too high a pick to matter, not good enough to make the playoffs, Donovan's value drops because each successive year of the guaranteed years gone is lost value. Not able to attract any top tier talent. Everything hinges on what Danny does next. And it feels like this is just slipping away. HH was spot on, 100% of nothing is, well, nothing. Better to get 80% of what you wanted than nothing. And then to add insult to injury, end up with 40 or 50% of what you wanted later on. Better damn well get something out of this.

I think there is always the subplot here that the Knicks wanted to use the trade unknowns to get RJ to relent on his extension and maybe they are fine doing 4 unprotected picks now that they have RJ locked into a sub-max deal. Its weird to but a "**** or get off the pot" date a week before half our roster is available for trade.

I am not panicked... I think a deal can still be completed and be picked up pretty easily. Not like we start from scratch. If we open the regular season and still have Don on the roster then I think we overplayed our hand.

I don’t know… Barrett/Grimes + 5 1sts is a ridiculous haul regardless if only 2 were unprotected.
I think Grimes was one of the things the Knicks said no to. Sounded like an extra unprotected pick and Grimes were the roadblocks.

Exactly… he can make vibes ****** without trying… what happens when he leans in? Don’t risk poisoning the well to get an extra asset… even if we just get 3 UP and 2 PP we are fine and can combine that with the Minny return and we are absolutely getting at least one pick from LA.

Making him sit in the stink he helped creat sounds cute but it doesn’t benefit us at all… and absolutely could hurt us.

Danny can keep digging in and the RJ thing is likely a small setback… if Donovan is on the roster to start the season it will get ugly.
I would argue that playing in a losing situation is EXACTLY what Mitchell needs as a player right now. He's had it really good and he ruined the really good. If he plays on a 26 win team do you think he will dog it on defense once he gets a winner just to "prove a point" to a teammate? he needs to know what he had in order to make the maturity changes he needs to be a champion.

Worst comes to worst, the season begins without a trade, the Knicks will suck as usual, and dumbass Rose will be pressured to trade for Mitchell and he will cave to Ainge's demands.

The Knicks really shouldn’t have extended RJ. If they trade for Donovan they have zero cap space going forward to try and attract another star. They also have to give up more assets now. I always thought it made the most sense from both sides to include RJ but yet here we are.

I would argue that playing in a losing situation is EXACTLY what Mitchell needs as a player right now. He's had it really good and he ruined the really good. If he plays on a 26 win team do you think he will dog it on defense once he gets a winner just to "prove a point" to a teammate? he needs to know what he had in order to make the maturity changes he needs to be a champion.
Oh Jebus... you think he will be a champion here? I'm sure he will take the 26 wins as motivation to help us and be totally introspective and honest with himself... or he will say eff those guys I'm out.

This ain't a Disney movie.

I was thinking the compromise from both sides was Grimes and no extra pick.
Nah... the offer of RJ and picks was the compromise. We want 4 UPs they want to give us 2. Taking three makes their second move harder but they would do it... I'm guessing that was pitched to Danny as well but not sure he would bite.

This may have been the Knicks best course and their preference... RJ and the picks was a fair deal. Maybe the Jazz and Knicks colluded against RJ.... Rose is like "we will make this loud stink about RJ but we aren't gonna trade him to you... we will make it super dramatic with deadlines and ****... once we settle with RJ using Utah as a threat we will give you the 4 picks you want."