What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

What was it?
They said that the deal New York had picked up over the last 12 hours and was all but a done deal at this point, that the 2 sides were hammering out the details, but that absolutely nothing was confirmed yet. Stressed that last point at the end, nothing is confirmed to be true.

They said that the deal New York had picked up over the last 12 hours and was all but a done deal at this point, that the 2 sides were hammering out the details, but that absolutely nothing was confirmed yet. Stressed that last point at the end, nothing is confirmed to be true.
Correct. They deleted and reposted, probably a typo correction.

I've got my money firmly on Today or Tomorrow...
I think we have established that one of those is the only day this can happen. My money is on tomorrow.

I simply think that a deal is easier to work out without the pick involved because the pick is difficult to value. It's easier for two teams to say yes without the pick than it is with it. I don't think the Knicks want to give up Grimes either, but I also don't think they'll let go of that pick either. What was it, 3 days ago you were blasting me telling me the Knicks wouldn't even beat MIA's offer??? Part of your reasoning was that the Knicks wouldn't be happy to give up their distant picks. I agree with that. So if you want some reasoning as to why it's difficult to have NYK give that pick up, refer to your own reasoning. I get the reasoning that NYK is more likely to value players and UTA is more likely to value picks, but I still think the uncertainty and difficulty in valuing that pick makes it difficult to include in a trade.

It's hard to value that pick, if you don't think it's difficult to value a pick 7 years from now, agree to disagree. When things are difficult to value it makes them more difficult to trade. I know you really, really want that pick. I'm not telling you that it's wrong, I just think it's harder to build a trade with something that's difficult to value. I think both sides know how they feel about Grimes, and I think there's a trade with Grimes in it that both say yes to. They may also both say yes to a deal without Grimes and the pick instead, but it's more difficult to land on that conclusion IMO. It's my feeling that when things have ambiguous value, they are harder to work into a trade. There's a reason why picks that are more recent or made less ambiguous by protections are more often traded than distant picks with maximum ambiguity. Usually when picks so far in the distance are included, it's because that's all a team has outside of their untouchables. The Knicks are not in that situation. If it is included when the trade comes down, feel free to call me a dumbass. I don't really have anything else to say at this point so we'll just wait see what happens.
I didn’t blast you on the Miami NY thing. My point was the Miami package is acceptable if you can get some value for Herro and you need to make a deal before the season starts. I was implying that the NY offer may not be there if it hasn’t come yet. That you could get farther down the road with Miami to make NY show their cards… and if they didn’t I’d value a clean break rather than squeezing a team that didn’t come to the table. If they don’t bring their best offer now why do it in 6 months… and how much better is it? That was the point was the Miami offer is acceptable if we have nothing else better.

Projecting a pick 5 years out has maybe a smidge more certainty than 7 years out… and to say NY would put 27 in but 29 is too hard is weird. Both those picks are “tough to value”. If that’s really what is giving them pause then they should protect the 27 pick too. They have other stuff to give… sure, but not premium stuff that they are willing to give. I don’t think that is what they are most concerned about… and I doubt that is something Danny compromises on. We can get prospects like Toppin, Quickly, Grimes with our other stuff we have on the roster… we can get the protected picks they have too… we likely can’t get unprotected picks though.. so those will be the biggest priority imo.

I’m not sure if anyone has realized this or pointed it out yet, but I woke up and realized that it is currently today. Look it up if you don’t believe me.

I’m not sure if anyone has realized this or pointed it out yet, but I woke up and realized that it is currently today. Look it up if you don’t believe me.
Damn, that sucks. I have a lot of stuff that has to get done today.

Jazzfanz Soliloquy

There would have been a time for such a word.
Today, and today, and today,
Creeps in this petty pace from today to today
To the last reply of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty waiting. Out, out, brief internet connection!
Fandom's but a walking shadow, a poor poster
That struts and frets his hour upon the board
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an mod, full of sound and fury,
Signifying banning.

Lowe kind of brought this up, but Utah needs to be really bad for 2 years because of the top 10 protection on their 2024 pick. Getting back Barrett might be bad if he takes a big jump in his 5th year

It will happen today… but today might be tomorrow… imma be so pissed when the deal actually happens yesterday instead of today like Cy promised
Yeah but yesterday all my troubles seemed so far away. Now it looks as though they are here to stay. But tomorrow!! The trade will come out tomorrow!!!