What's new

Jazz draft Keyonte George at 16

Part of me feels like there is some outside shot Keyonte could have rookie Donovan impact if given the chance. This Utah team probably wont be setup for that to be possible, but I think he could potentially be a big time scorer from Day 1.
i don't disagree, but like you said, chances of him being given that sort of green light are pretty slim. with dm, they allowed him some real stinkers, but stayed with him, giving him incredible confidence and zero concern that he'd be pulled or told to stop shooting. in his first four games, he was 13-53 FGs, yet they stayed with him. it allowed him to grow, maintain confidence and then he was able to mix in some nice games. in his fifth game he went 9-16 for 22 points - followed that up with a 3-8, 8 point game. that was october.

they then increased his minutes and opportunities in november, he continued to be mostly inefficient, but was regularly taking 15-20 shots a game - he shot 35% FGs for the first five games of november. then he had a two nice games where he was efficient, followed by another five game stretch where he shot 34% FGS. followed that up with a bad game sandwiched in between two good games. so october was bad. november was mostly bad with 3 or 4 flashes of really good scoring.

then he exploded in december - averaged 23 ppg on 50% FGs and 36% 3pt, and the rest is history. but it's crazy what you can do for a player if you allow him to make mistakes, to be bad, but continue to stay with him and instill confidence. unfortunately i don't think that's in the cards with george - i hope i'm wrong.

i don't disagree, but like you said, chances of him being given that sort of green light are pretty slim. with dm, they allowed him some real stinkers, but stayed with him, giving him incredible confidence and zero concern that he'd be pulled or told to stop shooting. in his first four games, he was 13-53 FGs, yet they stayed with him. it allowed him to grow, maintain confidence and then he was able to mix in some nice games. in his fifth game he went 9-16 for 22 points - followed that up with a 3-8, 8 point game. that was october.

they then increased his minutes and opportunities in november, he continued to be mostly inefficient, but was regularly taking 15-20 shots a game - he shot 35% FGs for the first five games of november. then he had a two nice games where he was efficient, followed by another five game stretch where he shot 34% FGS. followed that up with a bad game sandwiched in between two good games. so october was bad. november was mostly bad with 3 or 4 flashes of really good scoring.

then he exploded in december - averaged 23 ppg on 50% FGs and 36% 3pt, and the rest is history. but it's crazy what you can do for a player if you allow him to make mistakes, to be bad, but continue to stay with him and instill confidence. unfortunately i don't think that's in the cards with george - i hope i'm wrong.

I made a comment about this earlier, but I do think it's important how each coach respects a player. Both Baylor and their opponent treated Keyonte like he was Curry. He's always being picked up at half court and face guarded. He was the centerpiece of ever Baylor offensive possession for both teams and coaches just don't give you that freedom/respect for nothing.

Keyonte having an awesome summer league would definitely help his case for minutes to start the year.

Being an effective offensive initiator is the hardest thing to do in the NBA. I think it will take some time. I really think Cole Anthony is a great comparison/example of how his career played out. Their college careers and backgrounds are eerily similar.

He will probably be bad for the first 1-2 years, but if you stick with him he could have a breakout season like Cole Anthony last year.

I love the optimism on here, George was getting strapped in the Big 12, couldn't explode past anyone in the halfcourt, was terrible finishing at the rim, he's going to be a bust.

Sub 40% from the field isn't good my boy, you can tell yourself whatever you want. If you watch George play it's clear he's a subpar athlete which is why he has to settle for so many pullups

YoungJefe is pure comedy in this thread. Definitely well worth a read.

YoungJefe is pure comedy in this thread. Definitely well worth a read.
KG was not great at Baylor and struggled down the stretch. I'll gladly eat crow though.
Just remember I could pull all the receipts of 90% of this board nut hugging Rudy as a top 10 player and crowning the Wolves as the champs but I don't, lol.

KG was not great at Baylor and struggled down the stretch. I'll gladly eat crow though.
Just remember I could pull all the receipts of 90% of this board nut hugging Rudy as a top 10 player and crowning the Wolves as the champs but I don't, lol.
You were acting like a total tool on draft night having a complete meltdown. Pretty much going out of your way to try and ruin it for everyone else with your insane hyperbole.

Last edited:

Ya you do lol
Talking trash on rudy and people who liked him is kind of your thing.

I love how they interview him after the game and he says the same cliche about supporting his teammates, and how his teammates have trust in him...blah, blah, blah, blah, blahhhhhh

I apologize and I am fully KG3 team
welcome-to-the-party-pal-welcome-to-the-party.gif