What's new

Jazz draft Taylor Hendricks at 9

Curious if people would prefer Hendricks bulk up to be able to play more as a small ball 5 in certain lineups or keep more lean and nimble to be better able to guard wings and guards?

Curious if people would prefer Hendricks bulk up to be able to play more as a small ball 5 in certain lineups or keep more lean and nimble to be better able to guard wings and guards?
Bulk should never be the goal imo. Get stronger but I wouldn't add a ton of weight. Be fast and athletic while adding 5-10 pounds of muscle. Very few guys are going to kill you on post ups and stuff like that... but if you aren't fast enough on the perimeter it can be a real problem.

I think his body is going to be what it will be. Not sure I would put a lot of work in trying to transform him greatly. He looks pretty fit though and I think he is definitely going to fill out more. He's still a teenager.

Probably lean for this jazz team (which is pretty ****ing big with 3 seven footers in the rotation)

Hendricks feels like a combo of the BPA and the best FIT available. I like the pick.

Wallace and Black seemed worth trading up for and washington clearly outbid us for that opportunity. But I am looking forward to Hendricks next to Lauri.

I see Michael Porter Jr. comps for Hendricks. Porter Jr has a sweet stroke. They are 0.5" difference in height. Porter is a passive wing who is ultra athletic but doesn't look for his shot. I think Hendricks will be more defensive minded and Porter will be a better scorer but similar body types and shooting abilities.

Hendricks has years before he hits his prime. We'll see flashes his first few seasons but we're like 7 years away from his prime.

Bulk should never be the goal imo. Get stronger but I wouldn't add a ton of weight. Be fast and athletic while adding 5-10 pounds of muscle. Very few guys are going to kill you on post ups and stuff like that... but if you aren't fast enough on the perimeter it can be a real problem.
I’d pump the brakes there. Weight is ballast which is functionally strength against resistance in the paint. Lineman and sumo wrestlers don’t have all that fat for funsies.

There is a sweet spot, and weight for Hendricks is part of that as he’s under weight. And twitchy muscle tends to be of the more hypertrophic variety (look at the bodies of sprinters and jumpers vs marathon runners).

Wemby’s calculation makes sense in not adding weight because human bodies are not supposed to be the size of his, and adding weight to those giant levers is adding danger.

He’s got to add some degree of strength. I think he will need to develop into the “big wing stopper”. The big wings are will give him a lot of trouble with his current build. We know Kessler won’t be that guy, we shouldn’t ask Lauri to be that guy, so it’s either Hendricks being that guy or one of the guards. I think Hendricks is better as a help defender, but truth is he really did not matchup with many scoring wings so we don’t know how he will do. Maybe he ends up being like McDaniels and is a total menace on the ball….he’s never really been tested in that way.

If he can’t be that guy….it’s a tough fit. None of Kessler, Lauri, and Hendricks are ball in hand players. That means the initiators have to be the guards….but if Hendricks isn’t a good on ball wing defender the guards also have to be the perimeter defenders.

Most good teams will have at least two guys they can run their offense with. You need two for yourself and two guys to guard the other teams key players. It would be tough to find two players who are both 1) play imitators 2) primary perimeter/wing defenders.

If you add Ochai to the lineup, that’s 4 guys who are not ball in hand players. You need Luka or you’re screwed lol.
And this is a big reason why Ochai is kinda meh on this roster. On a roster with heliocentric offenses he makes a lot more sense.

Austin Reaves really would be such a huge piece for us.

And this is a big reason why Ochai is kinda meh on this roster. On a roster with heliocentric offenses he makes a lot more sense.

Tbh, I’m not really sold on him as a rotation player right now. But if we’re buying into this idea that he is indeed a starter for the foreseeable future there are some real problems gaps in the lineup.

If we’re dead set on Lauri+Kessler, there can only be one other guy who is a non creator.

Hendricks is kinda the 6’10 version of Ochai which is really nice. But on the other hand, Ochai is the 6’5 version of Hendricks and that’s not really a special player.

Tbh, I’m not really sold on him as a rotation player right now. But if we’re buying into this idea that he is indeed a starter for the foreseeable future there are some real problems gaps in the lineup.

If we’re dead set on Lauri+Kessler, there can only be one other guy who is a non creator.

Hendricks is kinda the 6’10 version of Ochai which is really nice. But on the other hand, Ochai is the 6’5 version of Hendricks and that’s not really a special player.
I see y’all gunning for my number 1 spot…

If you add Ochai to the lineup, that’s 4 guys who are not ball in hand players. You need Luka or you’re screwed lol.
Or other develop lol

I’d pump the brakes there. Weight is ballast which is functionally strength against resistance in the paint. Lineman and sumo wrestlers don’t have all that fat for funsies.

There is a sweet spot, and weight for Hendricks is part of that as he’s under weight. And twitchy muscle tends to be of the more hypertrophic variety (look at the bodies of sprinters and jumpers vs marathon runners).

Wemby’s calculation makes sense in not adding weight because human bodies are not supposed to be the size of his, and adding weight to those giant levers is adding danger.
You used a lot of big words I don’t understand but it comes down to this for me… the second that weight/muscle makes him less quick or less flexible… I’m out. I’d rather have him trend towards Trey Murphy and Jaden Mcdaniels than Derrick Favors.

Ochai’s #2 and #3 haters doing nasty work. Soon to be #1 and #2.

(Whispers so other posters can’t hear) The front office really doesn’t see him as this amazing building block… he’s a fine prospect and undoubtedly an nba rotation player… but not the guy you declare a for sure starter in his second year… at some point we end up with something more dynamic. Please don’t tell the others… they have a hard time with the truth.

(Whispers so other posters can’t hear) The front office really doesn’t see him as this amazing building block… he’s a fine prospect and undoubtedly an nba rotation player… but not the guy you declare a for sure starter in his second year… at some point we end up with something more dynamic. Please don’t tell the others… they have a hard time with the truth.

I wasn’t really around here when we were tanking but I watched the games. Came back and was kind of shocked, even as Jazz homers, to see everyone gushing over Ochai. Like I’m not sure what we’re supposed to be super impressed about. I feel good about him being a rotation player in the future….but he’s not quite established there yet.

Hendricks - A; love him and I think when he develops chemistry with Lauri and Walker we’ll be very dynamic and difficult to defend and score against.
If Hendricks can be a guy that averages 10+ boards a game. I’ll take back the F for a B on Hendricks.
The ladder for sure