What's new

Jazz draft Taylor Hendricks at 9

I took this afternoon off and have wasted it watching Hendricks videos. Really wished he would have played for a better team. I love how his three point shooting is spread out and not just from the corner. His passing is pretty woeful, but at the same token, I'm not sure he SHOULD have been passing that often. He is more athletic than I thought, and has a pretty quick defensive bounce. It is quite evident the amount of coaching that has been put into a Walker Kessler as opposed to Hendricks. All of his rim protection relies on athleticism rather than craft (like Kessler.)

Overall, despite the polished three point shooting, he is raw as Hell. I can see how the Jazz feel like they can mold him into something better as there are parts of his game that are just bad habits from being undercoached (Nobody goes to Central Florida for the development.) I also see that a lot of what ails him is going to be swallowed up by playing with Kessler and Lauri, and his "hotspots" mesh with their shooting charts beautifully.

He's going to get some D league time. I'd bet we keep Olynyk around for a bit.

I definitely concur with the athleticism, not craft thing. He's out of position a lot and/or caught staring at the ball....but it doesn't matter because he's athletic enough to recover in most situations. Good coaching can turn him into a defensive monster with that athleticism....but he won't have the same extreme length+athleticism advantage that he had at UCF.

I took this afternoon off and have wasted it watching Hendricks videos. Really wished he would have played for a better team. I love how his three point shooting is spread out and not just from the corner. His passing is pretty woeful, but at the same token, I'm not sure he SHOULD have been passing that often. He is more athletic than I thought, and has a pretty quick defensive bounce. It is quite evident the amount of coaching that has been put into a Walker Kessler as opposed to Hendricks. All of his rim protection relies on athleticism rather than craft (like Kessler.)

Overall, despite the polished three point shooting, he is raw as Hell. I can see how the Jazz feel like they can mold him into something better as there are parts of his game that are just bad habits from being undercoached (Nobody goes to Central Florida for the development.) I also see that a lot of what ails him is going to be swallowed up by playing with Kessler and Lauri, and his "hotspots" mesh with their shooting charts beautifully.

He's going to get some D league time. I'd bet we keep Olynyk around for a bit.
Fairly sure he comes off the bench for most of the season (while we all complain) I think KO is still really good and rookies generally suck at helping you win. I think midseason there could be a change but not for certain. I would guess Taylor plays like 20 minutes a night next year... I bet Key plays 12-15.

I'm watching some Taylor Hendricks highlights with my Jazz Homer glasses on and this kid is incredible. He's so long and athletic and has such a nice shooting stroke. He's a little raw, but I'm looking at that as potential.

My only complaint is that I wish he played a higher level of competition. Some of these dudes he's dunking on and blocking their shots are kind of scrubby. I think he'll take a minute to get up to NBA speed and athleticism.

Fairly sure he comes off the bench for most of the season (while we all complain) I think KO is still really good and rookies generally suck at helping you win. I think midseason there could be a change but not for certain. I would guess Taylor plays like 20 minutes a night next year... I bet Key plays 12-15.
i think this might be realistic, but i'd be pretty pissed if that's the case. just like this past season, if you're not contending (and we know they aren't), get your young players big time minutes.

Would hate that.

I'm watching some Taylor Hendricks highlights with my Jazz Homer glasses on and this kid is incredible. He's so long and athletic and has such a nice shooting stroke. He's a little raw, but I'm looking at that as potential.

My only complaint is that I wish he played a higher level of competition. Some of these dudes he's dunking on and blocking their shots are kind of scrubby. I think he'll take a minute to get up to NBA speed and athleticism.

FWIW, his performance seemed to drop significantly against top 50 opponents (9 game sample size).

that's how it was watching ucf during the season. it was hard to watch those games because he'd go such long stretches without touching the ball and they had some guards that love to chuck. kind of impressive that he managed 15 points a game with how little it seemed he was involved.
Noticed this when I watched his game a couple weeks ago. Was frustrating

i think this might be realistic, but i'd be pretty pissed if that's the case. just like this past season, if you're not contending (and we know they aren't), get your young players big time minutes.

Would hate that.
I get it… I’d rather give the rookies 20 minutes where you are making them play right and all that versus 30 minutes and they are given too much leash. I also think we are a play in team next year and that experience will have some value… the experience of being on a decent team that is.

We are definitely adding some serious salary in between now and October so I expect the rookies to have to really earn PT.

I get it… I’d rather give the rookies 20 minutes where you are making them play right and all that versus 30 minutes and they are given too much leash. I also think we are a play in team next year and that experience will have some value… the experience of being on a decent team that is.

We are definitely adding some serious salary in between now and October so I expect the rookies to have to really earn PT.

Hardy's philosophy is to put players in situations where they can succeed and to build outward from there, even with the vets. If Hardy feels like 20 minutes is just right to start, I'm past the point of second guessing him.