What's new

Jazz in “Group of Death” in the in-season NBA Cup

Why are you calling ours the group of death? I think we are in the softest group. Highly doubt we win though.

All groups seem pretty even to me.
I tried to find one that was soft or super tough and really didn’t see an obvious candidate. It will depend on injuries and availability which ones will be tougher. They did a solid job here.

I tried to find one that was soft or super tough and really didn’t see an obvious candidate. It will depend on injuries and availability which ones will be tougher. They did a solid job here.
It supposedly based on last seasons standings, except that our group the Lakers who were a play-in team reached the conference Finals and has gotten quite a bit better during the offseason.

Third best team in Group C is Twolves. Group B it’s Pels.

Ours is Memphis.
I think when healthy all 3 of those teams are comparable. The griz won't have Ja though so I would out those teams above them.

I think when healthy all 3 of those teams are comparable. The griz won't have Ja though so I would out those teams above them.
But they have Smart and a potentially healthy Steven Adams.. they’ll be tough this year.

I'm very excited for the tournament, the NBA needed a way to make basketball competitive again. It is not my preferred format, but it's interesting. I really hope it isn't spoiled by media who has contempt for the game. It's a good thing when both teams want to win.

As a side note, wtf did they not just make the divisions the groups?

I'm very excited for the tournament, the NBA needed a way to make basketball competitive again. It is not my preferred format, but it's interesting. I really hope it isn't spoiled by media who has contempt for the game. It's a good thing when both teams want to win.

As a side note, wtf did they not just make the divisions the groups?
I don't mind it much, except for how they are selling it - as some sort of European soccer type mid-season tournament. In reality the mid-season tournaments in Europe are concurrent and are played pretty much throughout the whole season. For example - weekends -regular season games, weekdays - national cups or european cups. What the NBA has done is kind of different and the appeal in those is different.

I don't mind it much, except for how they are selling it - as some sort of European soccer type mid-season tournament. In reality the mid-season tournaments in Europe are concurrent and are played pretty much throughout the whole season. For example - weekends -regular season games, weekdays - national cups or european cups. What the NBA has done is kind of different and the appeal in those is different.
I think what the NBA is doing is actually better cos with English Soccer, teams often sit out really good players (say in the Carabao Cup).

As an example, Arsenal threw a few Cup games last season to focus on the Premier League (which they lost anyway).

These in-season NBA games however double as actual games and so teams aren’t incentivised to sit out players.

Also it means no extra games = less chance of injuries.

Yeah, it's not my preferred format....but I guess they really wanted 82 games. I would have preferred a shorter RS schedule with ongoing tournaments throughout the season like they do in Europe.

I think what the NBA is doing is actually better cos with English Soccer, teams often sit out really good players (say in the Carabao Cup).

As an example, Arsenal threw a few Cup games last season to focus on the Premier League (which they lost anyway).

These in-season NBA games however double as actual games and so teams aren’t incentivised to sit out players.

Also it means no extra games = less chance of injuries.

I actually do not mind tournament games that have a lower priority. If it means the best players are well rested and available for the actual games that's a win in my book. Right now they are just resting random games and brining down the overall quality of the entire regular season. Would be a good opportunity for the young guys/end of bench guys to get some run in.