What's new

Jazz in “Group of Death” in the in-season NBA Cup

I think what the NBA is doing is actually better cos with English Soccer, teams often sit out really good players (say in the Carabao Cup).

As an example, Arsenal threw a few Cup games last season to focus on the Premier League (which they lost anyway).

These in-season NBA games however double as actual games and so teams aren’t incentivised to sit out players.

Also it means no extra games = less chance of injuries.
They have their own positives and negatives... and what some consider negatives others consider positives. For example, a lot of European fans love it when their youth academy players get a chance to play in lower priority tournaments...
Yeah, it's not my preferred format....but I guess they really wanted 82 games. I would have preferred a shorter RS schedule with ongoing tournaments throughout the season like they do in Europe.
Yeah... the 82 game schedule seems to be a weird sticking point for NBA execs. IMO they should have lowerd the number of games already a while ago...

Next step is to make the gleague a true development league where the bottom team of each league gets sent down to the gleague and the top 2 teams promote up.

(This is completely tongue in cheek)

Next step is to make the gleague a true development league where the bottom team of each league gets sent down to the gleague and the top 2 teams promote up.

(This is completely tongue in cheek)
Yeah.

The nba isn’t about to add relegation like soccer. . . but the G-league should be a true minor league system.

And, I think they should create a 2nd team like the Ignite. It’s clear that prospects are interested in going that route. Should open it up a bit more.

Looking at those groups makes me wonder who the bottom 5 teams in West are going to be.

Portland looks like a lock.
Wemby may need time to put his offensive game together... so maybe the Spurs are bound to miss the play in(?)
Houston added FVV, Brooks, Amen and Whitmore. Already had promising young guys... but maybe they need more time.

Even if those 3 all fall short.... who are the other 2? Are the broken Mavs bound to fall short? Or the other dysfunctional team in Minny? Pels if they lose Zion (trade or injury, pick your poison)? Both LA teams and Warriors are old so health risks are big there, but do we really believe they will end up outside?

Really tough call.

Looking at those groups makes me wonder who the bottom 5 teams in West are going to be.

Portland looks like a lock.
Wemby may need time to put his offensive game together... so maybe the Spurs are bound to miss the play in(?)
Houston added FVV, Brooks, Amen and Whitmore. Already had promising young guys... but maybe they need more time.

Even if those 3 all fall short.... who are the other 2? Are the broken Mavs bound to fall short? Or the other dysfunctional team in Minny? Pels if they lose Zion (trade or injury, pick your poison)? Both LA teams and Warriors are old so health risks are big there, but do we really believe they will end up outside?

Really tough call.
One of the obvious choices is the jazz. The mavs, minny, lakers, warriors and pels will all be better than us.

This is the *****est idea since Euro Disney. If the NBA is struggling for viewers its probably because the best players are sitting for a third of the season.