What's new

JAZZ must not WASTE this year.

Et tu Brute

Jazz can't play Rubio, JJ and other vets max minutes with the goal of sneaking into the playoffs.

Have to play Favors, Hood, Exum, DM and Burks a stack and find out who can join Gobert going forward. We don't need to have 30 mins of Ingles, 36 Rubio, 18 Sefolosha, 15 Jerebko, 8 Neto.

Last year was a waste of time.

In fact, I hope the Jazz trade one or two this season.

Here is the right minute distribution

Gobert 34
Hood 32
Rubio 28
Favors 26
Ingles 24
Exum 20
JJ 18
DM 16
Sefolosha 14
Burks 14
Jerebko 8
Udoh 4
Griffen 2

You know it makes sense... I'm Sam Kekovich!

NAOS, hurry up and dislike this mother....

Jazz can't play Rubio, JJ and other vets max minutes with the goal of sneaking into the playoffs.

Have to play Favors, Hood, Exum, DM and Burks a stack and find out who can join Gobert going forward. We don't need to have 30 mins of Ingles, 36 Rubio, 18 Sefolosha, 15 Jerebko, 8 Neto.

Gobert 34
Hood 32
Rubio 28
Favors 26
Ingles 24
Exum 20
JJ 18
DM 16
Sefolosha 14
Burks 14
Jerebko 8
Udoh 4
Griffen 2

I'll just forward this to coach Snyder so he knows how to do his job

Gobert 34
Hood 32
Rubio 28
Favors 26
Ingles 24
Exum 20
JJ 18
DM 16
Sefolosha 14
Burks 14
Jerebko 8
Udoh 4
Griffen 2

Did you see Quin's media day interview? He talked about the minutes and he said he was uncertain about it and that it will be a problem for him, but that his first objective was to win games. So, I have a feeling he will lean more towards the guys who actually deliver.

Did you see Quin's media day interview? He talked about the minutes and he said he was uncertain about it and that it will be a problem for him, but that his first objective was to win games. So, I have a feeling he will lean more towards the guys who actually deliver.

yeah they delivered ......Hayward,GONE....Hill,GONE.....Diaw,GONE.....Mack,GONE,
Last year was a waste,major minutes went to guys that aren't playing with Gobert this year.OP is saying minutes should go to guys that aren't rented for just one year or in JJ's case,playing his last year.

I see the point but realize Rubio is 26 still. As of right now I definitely think the Jazz consider him their PG of the future, barring an Exum explosion.

The minute distribution doesn't look bad at all. Quin has a tougher time, than even last year, about allocating these minutes in my opinion.

This may just also be my analysis but any one of the 3 Thabo, Udoh, Jerebko contracts are very moveable to contenders this season, just something to keep in mind.

Whenever franchise start sacrificing wins for development of unknown it usually leads to them stuck in lottery forever. We have core of proven players who will want to win. This nonsense about giving minutes to "potential" can't be happening until Jazz are mathematically out of playoffs. We do not have budding superstars who would need to be force fed minutes above our starters and if we are talking Mitchell - he will get his fair amount of minutes anyway, certainly more than 14 OP is predicting.

Gobert 34
Hood 32
Rubio 28
Favors 26
Ingles 24
Exum 20
JJ 18
DM 16
Sefolosha 14
Burks 14
Jerebko 8
Udoh 4
Griffen 2

Udoh is way better than for 4 minutes only, same with DM and Thabo. They will play more. Doubt Burks gets more than 10 and Exum should be somewhere in 14-16 minute range. Rubio will be playing 32 min easily. Jazz did not sign Ingles for that amount of money to let him play just half the game time, he will be close to 30 as well.

I think the depth and lack of predetermined rotation mean two things:
1) Whoever is playing with less than 100% intensity could be sent to the bench within a blink
2) If you're playing within the system and make sound decisions in plays is going to get more opportunities to flow into a groove regardless of results

Last year was not a waste. second round of the playoffs in the Western Conference... CP3 would take that.

Also, I'm pretty sure all the young guys will get that many or more minutes. AB being the exception.

I am going to love this next year... no pressure. no one we have to impress to keep. Just effing play great fun basketball. It gonna be lit!

Gobert 34
Hood 32
Rubio 28
Favors 26
Ingles 24
Exum 20
JJ 18
DM 16
Sefolosha 14
Burks 14
Jerebko 8
Udoh 4
Griffen 2

I like your minute distribution

I don't see that getting playoff experience, especially a closely-fought series win under your belt is a waste.

I do agree with Fish though, your general minutes distribution that you have is kinda nice, although I'd somehow want to get more minutes for Dante and Donovan, dependent on how they're playing of course.

yeah they delivered ......Hayward,GONE....Hill,GONE.....Diaw,GONE.....Mack,GONE,
Last year was a waste,major minutes went to guys that aren't playing with Gobert this year.OP is saying minutes should go to guys that aren't rented for just one year or in JJ's case,playing his last year.

So Snyder should have benched Hayward and Hill because they were going to be UFA's. Yep, the very minute Hill rejected an extension, Lindsey should have released him and brought in the Stars' PG to take his place.

I get the Mack over Exum argument. I've made that very same point. As for Boris, Favs was hurt and at the backup 5 was Withey (who Quin apparently had little faith in).

It's unfortunate Hood and Favors were hurt so much and Exum was still playing like a *****. Hard to get any kind of evaluation on those 3. But the season wasn't a waste. Jazz got to the playoffs and won a round. Rudy has developed into an an all-NBA player. We saw Ingles become a very solid rotational player. And as for the OP, I'd hardly lump Rubio into that list of veterans that should seeteduced minutes. He's only a year older than Gobert, right? He could very well be the PG who leads this group for the next decade, especially if Exum fails to step up.

It's clear that the Jazz are hoping to sneak into the playoffs based on the moves made. If you're hoping for development to be the priority I think you're in for disappointment.

Here's what I see as the plan to get the Jazz back into title contention:

Step 1. Play out this season, play your best players, do what you do to win.
Step 2. At the trade deadline make a move to get yourself a top draft pick (a trade with Suns, Celtics or Cavs). You send Joe Johnson and Derrick Favors to the Cavs - it could/would mean another ring for Lebron, and possibly a #1 pick in the draft for the Jazz. With names like Michael Porter and Luka Doncic in this year's draft, the Jazz could potentially add another core piece, and possibly a young player who can contribute right away - or conceivably the rumored trade for Kevin Love.
Step 3. Re-sign Jazz key free agents. There is some speculation, that the Jazz will be able to re-sign both Hood and Dante this summer to longer deals, as most every team has already spent up their cap space. There just aren't any teams out there that can give them huge deals, and the Jazz will be able to sign them to modest contracts.
Step 4. All the free agents/trades that Dennis Lindsey got were signed to a two year deal. Sefolosha, Jerebko, Rubio, Udoh will all be free agents in 2019. That gives us two years to evaluate who is a keeper, and who might not be. That being said, the free agent list of 2019 looks good with names like:

Kyrie Irving
Kevin Love
Bojan Bogdanovic (R)
Kris Middleton
Kristaps Porzingis (R)
Devin Booker (R)
Kwahi Leonard

If the Jazz can swing a deal to get one or two of those free agents and trade Derrick Favors and Joe Johnson, (possibly Alec Burks) contracts for a good rookie deal, that should give us the roster space to pick up ONE of these free agents. Just imagine a Jazz team with:

C- Rudy Gobert, Tony Bradley
PF- Kevin Love, Jonas Jerebko
SF- Kwahi Leonard, Joe Ingles
SG- Rodney Hood, Donovan Mitchell
PG - Ricky Rubio, Dante Exum, Raul Neto

That could be the #1 defensive team in the league and a title contender.

Here's what I see as the plan to get the Jazz back into title contention:

Step 1. Play out this season, play your best players, do what you do to win.
Step 2. At the trade deadline make a move to get yourself a top draft pick (a trade with Suns, Celtics or Cavs). You send Joe Johnson and Derrick Favors to the Cavs - it could/would mean another ring for Lebron, and possibly a #1 pick in the draft for the Jazz. With names like Michael Porter and Luka Doncic in this year's draft, the Jazz could potentially add another core piece, and possibly a young player who can contribute right away - or conceivably the rumored trade for Kevin Love.
Step 3. Re-sign Jazz key free agents. There is some speculation, that the Jazz will be able to re-sign both Hood and Dante this summer to longer deals, as most every team has already spent up their cap space. There just aren't any teams out there that can give them huge deals, and the Jazz will be able to sign them to modest contracts.
Step 4. All the free agents/trades that Dennis Lindsey got were signed to a two year deal. Sefolosha, Jerebko, Rubio, Udoh will all be free agents in 2019. That gives us two years to evaluate who is a keeper, and who might not be. That being said, the free agent list of 2019 looks good with names like:

Kyrie Irving
Kevin Love
Bojan Bogdanovic (R)
Kris Middleton
Kristaps Porzingis (R)
Devin Booker (R)
Kwahi Leonard

If the Jazz can swing a deal to get one or two of those free agents and trade Derrick Favors and Joe Johnson, (possibly Alec Burks) contracts for a good rookie deal, that should give us the roster space to pick up ONE of these free agents. Just imagine a Jazz team with:

C- Rudy Gobert, Tony Bradley
PF- Kevin Love, Jonas Jerebko
SF- Kwahi Leonard, Joe Ingles
SG- Rodney Hood, Donovan Mitchell
PG - Ricky Rubio, Dante Exum, Raul Neto

That could be the #1 defensive team in the league and a title contender.

not sure where you would get the money to sign Leonard

Last year making the playoffs was important for the credibility of the franchise and the development of some of our players, including Rudy, Hood and Ingles. Winning is still important.

That said, I'd be willing to trade a couple guys for young talent or picks in this next draft.

Oh, and Mitchell is probably going to get closer to 25 mins within a few months.

I'm just relaying what Quin himself said. Whether or not he will do this -- not sure. Can't blame Quin though. He didn't know Hayward would bolt, and I think there was a chance Hill would come back. JJ was played to perfection and Diaw probably would've played less had Lyles not played so poorly.

not sure where you would get the money to sign Leonard
Jazz could clear cap space by renouncing rights to Favs, Exum and Hood and declining options on Thabo, Jerebko and Udoh. But why Leonard? Lindsey should just sign Durant or Lebron. Because if a player is an UFA some automatically assume Lindsey can just go out and get him, and Lindsey is a failure if he doesn't.

Kwahi is laughable. He's a superstar and cornerstone of SA. He ain't coming to Utah.